• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yardman

Oct 11, 2010
    Columbia
    I finally decided and went to get my colt today. I got it from Accurate pawn in ellkridge and I must say i had a great time working with Lou. Great customer service and easy to talk to. I would recommend taking a look at what they have . I will have pics up tomorrow when i get home and unbox her and get her cleaned up and decked out lol.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    The Colt HBARS are some of the best buys on the market right not...right behind those V 2008's or whatever they are IMHO.

quad

Another Hooligan
    Mar 31, 2011
    Allegany County
    Just got one myself, but havent got to shoot it yet. If anyone could tell me what it would take to put a rail/tube fore end on it, I'd appreciate it. I plan to cut the Front sight off, and use the gas block under a new fore end. Just don't know what I need, such as barrel nuts, etc.

TNW

Jan 27, 2014
    I just went with the BCM low profile gas block and the DD EZ Carbine rail. Came out well

quad

Another Hooligan
    Mar 31, 2011
    Allegany County
    What type of rail are you planning on putting on it?

Not really sure. Nothing super expensive, but something pretty nice, and somewhat comfortable. Like to have it midlength I guess. The easier the better. The main reason for it is to get rid of the a2 front sight. I have never bought rails before, so I dont know what all components I need to buy to do the swap.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Not really sure. Nothing super expensive, but something pretty nice, and somewhat comfortable. Like to have it midlength I guess. The easier the better. The main reason for it is to get rid of the a2 front sight. I have never bought rails before, so I dont know what all components I need to buy to do the swap.

My standard response to people who wish to modify their AR's is to put 500 rounds down the pipe first to understand how the firearm operates.

Why do you wish to remove the A2 front sight post?
    Aesthetics?
    Scope?

Also if you switch out the handguard keep in mind that a midlength rail won't change the gas system.

quad

Another Hooligan
    Mar 31, 2011
    Allegany County
    My standard response to people who wish to modify their AR's is to put 500 rounds down the pipe first to understand how the firearm operates.

Why do you wish to remove the A2 front sight post?
    Aesthetics?
    Scope?

Also if you switch out the handguard keep in mind that a midlength rail won't change the gas system.

I understand how the AR operates, and about the gas system. I realize the gas block has to stay where the hole is in the barrel, unless you have it welded,and a new one such as I have seen a few do. Not trying to sound like I know it all, or I wouldnt be asking for help on this lol. But I did have a few other AR's, but they were either bought the way I wanted complete, or I'd build them with the complete upper in the configuration I wanted. I never messed with any of the barrel nuts, etc. I believe the delta ring assembly is different from the barrel nut, and that brings me here. Cant calculate costs if I dont know what to buy, to get the job done. Wife gets mad when I tell her a total, and keep adding as I find more out lol.
    Now, I mainly wish to change it, so I can get rid of the a2 sight ( currently has the old school colt plastic covers for the forend ). Most scopes I want for hunting are 12 inches or so, and may look bad being a few inches from the front sight. Does this look decent/ok? If so, I might leave all alone, and just buy the scope/mounts. Not my rifle, but an example. Thanks for all your help.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e186/stinkyrat/IMG_20130905_162424_106_zps8269477d.jpg

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Get something like a Centurion C4 that uses the stock barrel nut and you won't have to worry about removing the barrel nut or A2 front sight.

quad

Another Hooligan
    Mar 31, 2011
    Allegany County
    Get something like a Centurion C4 that uses the stock barrel nut and you won't have to worry about removing the barrel nut or A2 front sight.

The a2 sight is the main reason I am wanting a rail system. I do like that c4 alot. I believe I'll be getting that and shave the front sight down to fit under it. Gonna go with the 12 inch rail I believe.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    The a2 sight is the main reason I am wanting a rail system. I do like that c4 alot. I believe I'll be getting that and shave the front sight down to fit under it. Gonna go with the 12 inch rail I believe.

You could also get the 9" and keep the A2 sight unless you're planning on using magnified optics. I don't like using a fixed front sight with magnified optics either but if I'm using a red dot then I like keeping the A2 which is the most reliable front sight you can get.

I'm just assuming you have a mid length gas. If you have carbine then I'd definitely hack that front sight. Carbine rails aren't long enough to get your hand far out.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Because the rifle is already front heavy :rolleyes:

You do realize that some rails are lighter than the M4 Double Heat Shield Hand Guard that weighs in at 9.1 ounces with the Barrel Nut and Delta Ring. Right?:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Unless the OP got a 6721 made prior to 2009 which came with a Single Heat Shield Hand Guard.

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    You do realize that some rails are lighter than the M4 Double Heat Shield Hand Guard that weighs in at 9.1 ounces with the Barrel Nut and Delta Ring. Right?:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Unless the OP got a 6721 made prior to 2009 which came with a Single Heat Shield Hand Guard.

No, I didn't realize that. Guess I'm not that tactical bro.

quad

Another Hooligan
    Mar 31, 2011
    Allegany County
    I didn't know the stock guard weighed that much. The c4 rail in the 10 inch is 11.4 oz and the 12 inch is 14.2 oz. I figure by the time I shave down the A2 front sight, I'll be back near stock weight.

The real reason for the rail is because its a carbine length gas system. A rifle scope I would want is about 12 inches in length. From what I researched I shouldnt have an issue with the front sight being in view of the scope with anything above 2-3x. After 3x they say you cant see it at all. I am just worried that the scope being maybe 4-5 inches from the front sight will look strange. So I had the idea to ditch the front guards, trim the A2 sight to make it low profile, and cover that up with a rail system. If I knew the A2 being cut down and still using the stock shields would look ok, I might just forget the rail system, as I dont really want or need all that RAILestate lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom