• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drickster

Sep 22, 2020
    Baltimore
    As others have suggested, 22s can run a bit dirty. If those pistols were dirty and/or dry, or not otherwise lubed well, I can see where that might have been a problem.

As a kid I LOVED plinking with a 22 rifle, particularly ones that were tube magazines under the barrel - they were quick and easy to load, and the ones I used were all pretty reliable. Why not get something like a Marlin 66? Does it have to be a pistol?

I’m thinking about that now. We live in suburbia so it will be a range gun with very limited opportunity to plink outside. So that initially pushed me towards something smaller.

drickster

Sep 22, 2020
    Baltimore
    Honestly I would recommend an SKS or something similar. It’s rugged, reliable, affordable(as compared to AR15s right now) fun to shoot and ammo is much more readily available and affordable.

It’s certainly not as customizable but it’s a tried and true platform.

You may also like something like the VZ58/Vz2008 if you’re looking for something that too has reliability, affordable ammo and a higher round capacity.

Happy Holidays to you!

Thanks again for the suggestion on these. I looked them up and it seems that prices are insane right now (unless I looked in the wrong places).

viiper

Re-Member
    Dec 3, 2008
    Carroll County
    If it hasn’t been suggested, maybe go the AR route, and add the cmmg 22 kit. That was you can do both. I have one in one of my ARs and love it.

0da14524-cd24-4028-87e0-4f2b13ef6afb.jpeg

Last edited:

viiper

Re-Member
    Dec 3, 2008
    Carroll County
    Good to see you posting.

Thanks fidelity, figured I ought to give it a shot see what the crowd is like here. For the OP or anyone newly interested, the CMMG kits even come with 10rd mags (for Maryland), part number 22BA6AE (3 mags), and 22BA6E1 (1 mag) are ones. I have one and it runs great, I don't know if they still make the non-stainless, but if they do I recommend opting for the stainless or coated ones for easier cleaning, as the 22lr will be a little dirtier. There might be other options, I just have first hand experience with these, and like them.

In other terms for the OP, you can get an AR complete rifle chambered in 556 to satisfy that fix. Then add this kit for others like your family (and yourself) to plink away with 22 (which I still really enjoy - we still do some friends and family shoots with ONLY 22 when we have more new folks and still have a blast). You could even consider a dedicated upper for the 22LR, deal with less change out of internal parts and cleaning. This is why I really like my AR platforms, can very easily change things out (easily try .300 AAC later, for example).

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Thanks fidelity, figured I ought to give it a shot see what the crowd is like here. ...

Glad you are. You're adding quality posts. Maybe 1/3 or less of mine share potentially useful information. Having exchanged PMs with you in 2020, before you participating again with posts vs lurking, I am not surprised. We also have more time during holiday periods. Great pic in the lever action thread, btw.

I do think a 22LR rifle of some sort would please the original poster and his family, either in an AR type platform, Ruger 10/22, T/CR 22, bolt action, or lever action. A Browning BL-22 lever was my family's first 22LR rifle, and it's one we like to take out on practically every family trip to the range. Fun to shoot, and shoots a wide gamut of 22 ammo ... 22 CB, 22 Short, 22 Long, 22LR, etc.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I’m thinking about that now. We live in suburbia so it will be a range gun with very limited opportunity to plink outside. So that initially pushed me towards something smaller.
    I can’t help but believe that something like a Browning Buckmark or Ruger Mk IV would be anything but reliable if it was maintained well. I wish I had one for you to try - I also live in suburbia and as a result I’m probably within easy driving distance, but alas, the only 22 semi-auto pistol I own is a Hi Standard Military HD, and that’s not something you’re going to be able to get anywhere other than the collectible used market.

I’ve had my eye on a Ruger Mk IV or Browning Buckmark for a while, and I think either one would serve you well if you were to get one new.

viiper

Re-Member
    Dec 3, 2008
    Carroll County
    I can’t help but believe that something like a Browning Buckmark or Ruger Mk IV would be anything but reliable if it was maintained well.

That sounds like a great suggestion. When I first got my 22 suppressor, I added to the stable a Browning Buckmark and a Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Lite. I really like the Buckmark a bit more than the Ruger, cannot go wrong there either way. If you go the 22 semi-auto pistol route, might not be a bad idea to go with a threaded barrel, you never know if you and your family really get into this and its a pleasure to plink with 22 suppressed, especially if its just your group and outdoors somewhere. Folks would probably guess it was a pellet gun if they heard it, which might help if you have the space and zoning to shoot where you are, but where folks would complain about noise.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I shot a suppressed Colt Woodsman one time that was so quiet, the sound of the action cycling was louder than the shot itself.

bronco

Dec 14, 2020
    se Va
    OP drickster, without any real guidance, my first was a 1911, then a 12 gauge, then an AR-15, and then a 22LR conversion for it. I put a lot of miles on that 22LR setup before the next firearm, which incidentally was a 22LR lever rifle. Since then, the group has grown significantly in size and caliber, with a strong 556/308/30-06 showing, but the 22LRs still see the most use at home.
    As fidelity and viiper said above, if you go with an AR with a 22 conversion kit, you and the family will find it is pretty fun.

drickster

Sep 22, 2020
    Baltimore
    Thanks fidelity, figured I ought to give it a shot see what the crowd is like here. For the OP or anyone newly interested, the CMMG kits even come with 10rd mags (for Maryland), part number 22BA6AE (3 mags), and 22BA6E1 (1 mag) are ones. I have one and it runs great, I don't know if they still make the non-stainless, but if they do I recommend opting for the stainless or coated ones for easier cleaning, as the 22lr will be a little dirtier. There might be other options, I just have first hand experience with these, and like them.

In other terms for the OP, you can get an AR complete rifle chambered in 556 to satisfy that fix. Then add this kit for others like your family (and yourself) to plink away with 22 (which I still really enjoy - we still do some friends and family shoots with ONLY 22 when we have more new folks and still have a blast). You could even consider a dedicated upper for the 22LR, deal with less change out of internal parts and cleaning. This is why I really like my AR platforms, can very easily change things out (easily try .300 AAC later, for example).

Thanks for this info. You literally read my mind on my next question. A conversion kit was not even close on the radar. I think I’m a little stuck at the moment based on being so disappointed in the 22s jamming so much. I’m planning on having the wife try out a buddy’s AR to see what she thinks. If she’s game that may be the answer.

I was also checking out the CZ Scorpion. (I’m honestly not sure why but the 1 ammo type idea is strong for me). Along those lines the Ruger 9mm carbine seems like a decent option. I’m not stuck on it. Just exploring different avenues. (I think I’m over thinking it)

drickster

Sep 22, 2020
    Baltimore
    I can’t help but believe that something like a Browning Buckmark or Ruger Mk IV would be anything but reliable if it was maintained well. I wish I had one for you to try - I also live in suburbia and as a result I’m probably within easy driving distance, but alas, the only 22 semi-auto pistol I own is a Hi Standard Military HD, and that’s not something you’re going to be able to get anywhere other than the collectible used market.

I’ve had my eye on a Ruger Mk IV or Browning Buckmark for a while, and I think either one would serve you well if you were to get one new.

That’s what my gut tells me too. That it was probably dirty. Of the three 22 semis this was by far the best but we still got a jam about every other magazine.

viiper

Re-Member
    Dec 3, 2008
    Carroll County
    I hear you, that can be frustrating with jams. I have some other 22 guns with 22 conversion kits too (for example that slide in a 9mm barrel). What I ended up doing was trying different 22 ammo, and then made myself some notes of which guns liked which ones so to speak, then bulked up on that ammo over the years. It is likely to be a little different for different people with different guns, magazines, how broken in/dirty/clean the gun is, ammo and those variations.

The misfeeds/jams can be a number of things, including the upper/lower fit on some firearms, the magazines and follower (including how clean and nice the mags are), how fouled up the gun is (22 is a bit dirtier for me).

For my suppressed semi-auto my go-to are usually
    CCI Standard Velocity 40gr LRN #0035
    Aguila Standard Velocity 40gr

For some of the others:
    CCI various High Velocity
    Winchester Super X 40gr X22LRSS1
    Federal AutoMatch 22 Long Rifle Ammo 40 Grain (has the bull's eye on the box)
    Remington Golden Bullet High Velocity... buckets :) (believe it or not, some folks might think these are not so great... but for me they work great)

Its not necessarily bad though to get some experience with (a few) jams and misfeeds, because IMHO gives you an opportunity in a casual setting to safely practice what to do and expect, which should be some part of the firearms training. And it may be I've gotten so used to occasional 22lr issues, I don't really think too much of it and just rack it again and take a quick look to see what the bullet looked like (e.g., to make sure the leaded bullet wasn't left in the chamber) and move on.

That also seems very logical on the sticking with one or few calibers, I initially tried that (ruger pistol and ruger carbine), then later gave up :). There are a lot of different opinions, but if you were to only be able to go with 3 calibers my opinion is I'd suggest 9mm, 556, and 22lr. My rationale is that there are a number of rile/pistol setups that can share the same magazines e.g. both shoot 9mm, and the 556 AR platforms can easily be adapted dual use for 22lr, like that cmmg kit (or dedicated upper).

And those 3 calibers in the long run are very very common. And of course, maybe add a 12ga :). If it were not for covid times, if it weren't too far away I'd offer you to stop at one of our shoots when we do a "22 day", and test some out. There is a group of us that have plenty of other guns, but enjoy the laid back 22 only days as well (we don't shoot anything else those days).

drickster

Sep 22, 2020
    Baltimore
    @viiper thank you for the advice and the offer! We were shooting Fiocci target rounds so I thought I was in the “decent” category though I knew I wasn’t shooting HV.

drickster

Sep 22, 2020
    Baltimore
    So I did a thing tonight.... I went to check out the CZ Scorpion tonight and well....in 7 days it will come home with me. I picked OD with no brace.

So how did I end up here???

I think ultimately my little bit of prepper said same ammo=good, longer barrel but tactical size=good.

The recreational shooter said, that will just be fun to shoot. And heavier with longer barrel will be easier to shoot for the family

And the 13 yo boy in me said it looks cool and I can add stuff!!!

Ultimately the amount of jamming I experienced on the 22 semis really killed em for me.

Thanks so much to everyone who commented with suggestions. I really appreciate your time and expertise.

Time to shop for accessories!!

Attachments

• F62AD4CB-A015-48C7-884B-C79EECA828D5.jpeg
      F62AD4CB-A015-48C7-884B-C79EECA828D5.jpeg
      55 KB · Views: 148

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    So I did a thing tonight.... I went to check out the CZ Scorpion tonight and well....in 7 days it will come home with me. I picked OD with no brace.

So how did I end up here???

I think ultimately my little bit of prepper said same ammo=good, longer barrel but tactical size=good.

The recreational shooter said, that will just be fun to shoot. And heavier with longer barrel will be easier to shoot for the family

And the 13 yo boy in me said it looks cool and I can add stuff!!!

Ultimately the amount of jamming I experienced on the 22 semis really killed em for me.

Thanks so much to everyone who commented with suggestions. I really appreciate your time and expertise.

Time to shop for accessories!!

Check these guys out. Then look at gearhead for a brace.

https://hbindustries.net/store/

.22 semis can be problematic. I have several tricks to keep them running. Clean them thoroughly, use Remington dry-lube, then get good ammo, CCI STD velocity is the cheapest I'd go. I think CCI is the best all around .22 ammo out there. Winchester/Remington are really dirty.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Check these guys out. Then look at gearhead for a brace.

https://hbindustries.net/store/

.22 semis can be problematic. I have several tricks to keep them running. Clean them thoroughly, use Remington dry-lube, then get good ammo, CCI STD velocity is the cheapest I'd go. I think CCI is the best all around .22 ammo out there. Winchester/Remington are really dirty.
    When I was a kid I had a veritable plethora of 22 rifles to choose from - literally 20 or so in various actions and configurations. Initially it was a Browning semi-auto 22, tube fed from the stock and holding 11 rounds. I think Dad started me on that rifle because it was small, lightweight and fairly short.

I still remember the day it broke - it was plagued by the problem so many of the original versions of that model had, and the outer tube that the inner tube slid into inside of the stock broke off. Dad kept saying he was going to get it fixed, but with so many other 22s on the rack, I don't think it was pressing thing for him. Ultimately he sent it back and they replaced the whole stock - twice. It works, but Dad was never very happy about Browning's fix - the stock is clearly lesser wood than the fore-end, and the fit is bad. This was an improvement over what he initially got. Ultimately though the rifle was super functional - I don't ever remember having an issue with it from a functionality perspective.

From there I went to another semi-auto on the rack - a Western Field 59A semi-auto. This one held 15 rounds, and if it was clean, it was gold. This brings us back to the subject - dirty 22 ammo and functionality. Most of the time I had no issues with it, but once in a while, if it was particularly fouled, it would have issues jamming up, usually from a round not totally going into battery.

I used that rifle for a couple of summers, and then after one wonderful afternoon shooting my first "big boy" rifle - a Winchester Model 94 30-30, I gravitated to a lever action on the rack, not even knowing that it was a Cadillac amongst 22s - a 1948 production Marlin 39A - prior to micro-groove rifling. Didn't matter - that sucker has always been far and above the most accurate 22 rifle I've ever shot. Something else good about a lever action, because the action was mechanically actuated, it would push right through getting a little dirty with no issues. I never thought that follow-up shots with it were too slow either - working the lever became second nature.

I still have the Browning, but sadly, the Marlin is gone. The Western Field...eh...it was ok.

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    I visited a friend's family in Iowa when I was in college. It was my first .22 I shot. I don't remember what kind of rifle it was but we went out to the back yard of 1K acres farm and shot at a tree. We never bother cleaning it. It went back to the closet when we are done. lol

I guess the farmers use .22 shooting at coyotes and scaring birds away from the silos.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    When I was a kid I had a veritable plethora of 22 rifles to choose from - literally 20 or so in various actions and configurations. Initially it was a Browning semi-auto 22, tube fed from the stock and holding 11 rounds. I think Dad started me on that rifle because it was small, lightweight and fairly short.

I still remember the day it broke - it was plagued by the problem so many of the original versions of that model had, and the outer tube that the inner tube slid into inside of the stock broke off. Dad kept saying he was going to get it fixed, but with so many other 22s on the rack, I don't think it was pressing thing for him. Ultimately he sent it back and they replaced the whole stock - twice. It works, but Dad was never very happy about Browning's fix - the stock is clearly lesser wood than the fore-end, and the fit is bad. This was an improvement over what he initially got. Ultimately though the rifle was super functional - I don't ever remember having an issue with it from a functionality perspective.

From there I went to another semi-auto on the rack - a Western Field 59A semi-auto. This one held 15 rounds, and if it was clean, it was gold. This brings us back to the subject - dirty 22 ammo and functionality. Most of the time I had no issues with it, but once in a while, if it was particularly fouled, it would have issues jamming up, usually from a round not totally going into battery.

I used that rifle for a couple of summers, and then after one wonderful afternoon shooting my first "big boy" rifle - a Winchester Model 94 30-30, I gravitated to a lever action on the rack, not even knowing that it was a Cadillac amongst 22s - a 1948 production Marlin 39A - prior to micro-groove rifling. Didn't matter - that sucker has always been far and above the most accurate 22 rifle I've ever shot. Something else good about a lever action, because the action was mechanically actuated, it would push right through getting a little dirty with no issues. I never thought that follow-up shots with it were too slow either - working the lever became second nature.

I still have the Browning, but sadly, the Marlin is gone. The Western Field...eh...it was ok.

I have a model 56 that I love. it never jams...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bapple

Latest threads

Top Bottom