• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    Let me know if you need any support from me, Patty, the Monumental Rifle and Pistol Club, or the Maryland State Rifle and Pistol Club.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Or if they are ( at least initially ) wishing to stay low profile, confidential assistance can be arranged, and up to them if and what to share .

dogbone

Ultimate Member
    Nov 14, 2011
    GTT - Gone To Texas
    So, right now a small group is expressing interest in gun ownership, but not necessarily looking to take a 2a stand. Got it, it is there right and they want to use it.

So let us focus on first things first. How can we best help them become more comfortable with the idea of firearms for self defense and when they are ready to make the big leap how can we best help them become safe, legal and responsible gun owners?

I can understand the lack of interest in becoming a 2A activist. It is hard enough to get people who are already gun owners to get off their butts and do something. I won't expect people who have no experience with firearms to be leading the charge for 2A rights. If they choose to get involved somewhere down the road, that's icing on the cake.

I don't think they are wanting a particular organization around firearms. Yet, they didn't know where to turn really, and if there was a PP Chapter there 1 people would know that LGBTQ are arming themselves and serve as a deterrent, and be a light house for others that don't know where to turn. Hopefully a light house that stands in this state for a long time.

They may not want some formal organization devoted to firearms but I think PP can be more relaxed than that as simply a vehicle to socialize, train and practice with a supportive group of people. If this group can be started as a way for your friends to get trained, a few of them may actually enjoy it enough to see the bright side of having more folks become involved.

If they then decide to become a chapter, it isn't like the membership requirements are particularly onerous:

It’s easy to become a member of the Pink Pistols!

First, it doesn’t cost anything. There’s no dues, and no membership form to fill out.

Second, you just have to believe in the basic core principles of the Pink Pistols, that all people have the right to defend themselves from harm, and that everyone has the individual right to keep and bear arms as protected by the Second Amendment. If you believe those things, just raise your right hand and say “I am a Pink Pistol!”

Jan 14, 2013
    Millersville, MD
    So let us focus on first things first. How can we best help them become more comfortable with the idea of firearms for self defense and when they are ready to make the big leap how can we best help them become safe, legal and responsible gun owners?

I can understand the lack of interest in becoming a 2A activist. It is hard enough to get people who are already gun owners to get off their butts and do something. I won't expect people who have no experience with firearms to be leading the charge for 2A rights. If they choose to get involved somewhere down the road, that's icing on the cake.

They may not want some formal organization devoted to firearms but I think PP can be more relaxed than that as simply a vehicle to socialize, train and practice with a supportive group of people. If this group can be started as a way for your friends to get trained, a few of them may actually enjoy it enough to see the bright side of having more folks become involved.

If they then decide to become a chapter, it isn't like the membership requirements are particularly onerous:
    Thank you. I think you make some great points there. I am particularly aware that this particular group isn't looking to be activist. I was hopping I would find some folks that were. One like what PP manual says they arm gays then tell the world they armed gays, and secondly, be a light house for LGBTQ people to find them in Maryland. That being said, it doesn't have to happen over night. I was thinking that this was a densely and diversely populated part of the state. If there is such people, I want to find them.

dogbone

Ultimate Member
    Nov 14, 2011
    GTT - Gone To Texas
    You know, I met a gay man that thought every 2A person was against gays. People get lied to on both sides of this political situation. So, there is some discomfort with this for several people.

So how can we alleviate that discomfort? Would a meeting with some supportive gun owners in a public social environment with no firearms present be a place to start?

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    You know, I met a gay man that thought every 2A person was against gays. People get lied to on both sides of this political situation. So, there is some discomfort with this for several people.

First of all welcome to the forum , it is sad that lies are told many gun people love life and freedoms to live in a free nation .

I would think we all can not agree on everything but freedom is something both sides are searching for .

Again a big welcome to you .

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    I heard MarylandShallIssue.org is working to have the founder of Pink Pistols to be a guest speaker at an upcoming meeting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

5.56blaster

Ultimate Member

I live and breath 2A! I'm also trying to get my sister and her partner into firearms. I think many people would be surprised as to how accepting 2A people are. Most of us are firearm fans that don't care what you do in your private life. We just want more good, honest people to come out and shoot stuff with us!

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    After Orlando I made the offer on the WVCDL to train any member of that community for cost but I had no takers. Someone immediately replied "Does this apply to straight people. I didn't know what to say and a woman chimed in and said members of the gay community died today. Instead of making this a political statement he should be thanked. That shut it down. I thanked her in a PM and told her I have heart issues that needed to be addressed along with blocked carotid that need to be cleaned and I could not accommodate everybody. She said she is trying to start a Pink Pistol group in WV and thanked me and told me to take care of myself. I told her I would still be available. Good luck in you endeavor and you may want to contact some of these chapters and ask for suggestions.
    http://www.pinkpistols.org/find-a-local-chapter/

HankR

Ultimate Member
    Jan 22, 2013
    Upper Midwest

Stereotypes on both sides, but if you look you will find many in the LGBT community are already gun owners. Even in Maryland. Maybe not regular shooters/hobbiests, but gun owners.

I'm a certified instructor and when I used to live in MD I would offer free basic pistol classes for women interested in self defense. I didn't advertise or anything, but word spread and somebody would get referred to me every month or so. It wasn't long before I got asked if the free course was open to gay guys, and I did end up teaching a few. This was mid 90s, and these guys were openly gay (which wasn't as common back then), but they really didn't want anybody to know they were interested in guns. You probably have more gun folks in your community than you realize.

Jan 14, 2013
    Millersville, MD
    You know, I am not flushing gay people with guns out like I was hoping to. Yet, Pink Pistols is an inclusive group that is for 2a. So really anybody can found it if this is something they care about and want to do. It is more of an offering.

I am glad those guys got training.

Jan 14, 2013
    Millersville, MD
    First of all welcome to the forum , it is sad that lies are told many gun people love life and freedoms to live in a free nation .

I would think we all can not agree on everything but freedom is something both sides are searching for .

Again a big welcome to you .
    Thank you. I was in here a long time ago and worked at bps. I started my masters and let my shooting go for awhile. Just bought a cc gun and hoping to cc someday. Maybe sooner than later, maybe after I move away in a year or so. I am from Wyoming. I will only need a state dl to cc there. It is so exciting.

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    Ya'll are making me proud right now...
    Susan (jumps from planes) approached me about this idea before she posted anything here on the forum just trying to put her feelers out.
    (Back story) Susan and her husband have been friends of mine for years and back in Feb. of 2013 many of you met her when she spoke with us in Annapolis while her husband was deployed... This woman, and her entire family breathe freedom.
    Knowing her intentions, and knowing how involved we all are in promoting the 2A it was natural for me to encourage her to look for support here on MDS as well as throw my support behind her and her cause 100%.
    While I don't know many people in the LGBTQ community or understand much about it I can sure understand people questing for knowledge and the desire to protect themselves.
    Damn proud to see so many of us throwing our support behind a group that can gain from our knowledge and at the same time spread the word that the 2A protects us all.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    I live and breath 2A! I'm also trying to get my sister and her partner into firearms. I think many people would be surprised as to how accepting 2A people are. Most of us are firearm fans that don't care what you do in your private life. We just want more good, honest people to come out and shoot stuff with us!

I think you summed up the attitude of the 2A community very well by saying "Most of us are firearm fans that don't care what you do in your private life. We just want more good, honest people to come out and shoot stuff with us!"

And for those who prefer not to shoot, they'll find a welcome and support here as well. A common interest in upholding our civil rights (especially the right to keep and bear arms) is what binds us all.

Jagzilla

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 5, 2013
    You know, I am not flushing gay people with guns out like I was hoping to. Yet, Pink Pistols is an inclusive group that is for 2a. So really anybody can found it if this is something they care about and want to do. It is more of an offering.

I am glad those guys got training.

All of us have the right to protect ourselves and those we care about. No one has the right to demand you, me or anyone else become a passive victim.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom