• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DocSavage

The Man of Bronze
    May 30, 2012
    Crofton
    Most say that tumbling with primers is the way to go as it keeps the media from getting jammed in the primer pockets...

Doc

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Depends on your tumbling media. I use Lizard cob and Gel-Gloss cleaner. I leave the primer in to prevent all the hand picking of the primer pockets. I don't tumble enough brass here to make extensive measures of value, so, my method is practical for my needs.

However,

removing the primer prior can only help to clean the primer pocket a little better than going with a second process of a primer pocket tool.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    I have a universal decapping die that i use first, then tumble. I like clean primer pockets.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Either way is fine, depending on your type of media you may have to push the media out of the primer pocket if you deprime first.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    As I reload so many different calibers and types of cases, it depends.

Most cases get an initial tumble with the spent primer still in so I have cleaner cases to run through my de-capping/sizing dies. After that, cases get a second tumble to remove any lube and polish the brass.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    tumble with primers..

handgun loads.. i just process using progressive press... rifle.. i use single stage.. trim, chamfer and clean primer pockets.

obiii

Jun 2, 2010
    Allegany County, MD
    I now tumble with primers removed, as I have switched to Stainless Steel Media. This ensures that I have brass that is clean on the outside, inside, and primer pockets as well. I have yet to have any pins stuck in a flash hole.

MDlineman

Mar 23, 2013
    FFL (Fredneck For Life)
    I use a Harvey Deprimer and tumble with Bullseye .047 stainless pins. The smaller pins do not get hung up in the primer pockets. They clean the primer pockets and brass so well they look new. The Harvey Deprimer is a hand held tool that makes quick work out of decapping.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I use a Harvey Deprimer and tumble with Bullseye .047 stainless pins. The smaller pins do not get hung up in the primer pockets. They clean the primer pockets and brass so well they look new. The Harvey Deprimer is a hand held tool that makes quick work out of decapping.

Love the Harvey tool. Sit on the sofa, watch tv and deprime away. Never broken the rod on anything. Still using a tumbler so do that first.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    For pistol, just tumble then load. Primers in for tumbling.

For rifle, I tumble to clean off the grit, then decap and size,then tumble to remove lube.

The guys using SS media, decap then tumble, as it cleans the primer pocket very well. I don't see much cleaning of the primer pocket using typical soft media (corn cob or walnut).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom