• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Feb 28, 2013
    So my wife wants her own pistol that she will feel comfortable handling and shooting. Here is my(her) criteria, see what you guys can come up with... .380ACP or 9MM, medium frame around 12-16oz empty, decent trigger pull around 5.5# pull and around a 15# recoil spring.

I was looking at the Ruger LC380 but the trigger is absolutely god awful on that thing with a long, gritty 7.5# pull.

Forgive me if you already thought of this but you also may want to think about getting her something in a caliber you already own, in the interest of keeping things simple anyway.

Someone had to do this -

:needpics:

:lol::lol2:

longgunnewb

Textbook Libertarian
    Feb 23, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Forgive me if you already thought of this but you also may want to think about getting her something in a caliber you already own, in the interest of keeping things simple anyway.

:lol::lol2:

She is a pretty petite girl with small wrists so .40 is not for her. It's way to snappy for her to keep it under control and that was even with a stainless guide rod and a 22# spring (which is part of the reason she cannot rack it lol)

Antlers09

Aug 6, 2013
    MD
    I am small (4'11") and I shoot a 9 mm Sig P226 and love it. It's heavier than you want, but more weight = less recoil. My husband shoots an HK P30...it's comparable in size and recoil, but the factory grips are much more comfortable.

I'd recommend taking her to a range and letting her try some different ones out, you might be surprised what she is comfortable with. I shot my brother's heavy .45 with no problem. Everyone is different, but I haven't found my lack of stature to impact what I can shoot. It's more important that it feels right/comfortable.

TomisinMd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2013
    Elkton, Md
    I am small (4'11") and I shoot a 9 mm Sig P226 and love it. It's heavier than you want, but more weight = less recoil. My husband shoots an HK P30...it's comparable in size and recoil, but the factory grips are much more comfortable.

I'd recommend taking her to a range and letting her try some different ones out, you might be surprised what she is comfortable with. I shot my brother's heavy .45 with no problem. Everyone is different, but I haven't found my lack of stature to impact what I can shoot. It's more important that it feels right/comfortable.

Very good advice! :goodpost:

Grey_Man

Feb 25, 2010
    Fruitland

I'm glad you chimed in. My wife is about the same size as you and I want to get her started shooting. Do you recommend her starting out with a .22LR pistol first before moving on to the full size?

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    I'm glad you chimed in. My wife is about the same size as you and I want to get her started shooting. Do you recommend her starting out with a .22LR pistol first before moving on to the full size?

My wife (stands 5'2") just started shooting and had no issue with my sig 228 in 9mm in terms of recoil or report. She didn't flinch and thought it was 'not a problem at all'

I handed her the sig as it is heavier than other pistols available to her and the 'felt recoil' is reasonable. There was no way I was handing her the PPK/S in 380 as the recoil is much more pronounced (and Even I don't care to shoot it)

From our experience, the caliber was less important than the firearm choice.

Good luck

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie

The people who recommend starting on a .22 are either 1. NRA instructors or 2. someone who never started out on a full size caliber.

The major issue to overcome for a new shooter is not the actual handling, sight alignment, etc.... but is to overcome and get used to recoil and muzzleblast. These are what make a new shooter flinch and be "scared" of the pistol.

A .22 has basically nil and then when they "graduate" to a full caliber they are still flabbergasted. Then all the sight alignment instruction, etc... you did with them on the .22 get thrown out the door because the muzzleblast and recoil takes over. Condition someone to this first is my mantra.

My .02

Antlers09

Aug 6, 2013
    MD

I am pretty new to shooting, so consider that when I give you my opinion. :)

My 9 mm was the first pistol I ever shot. I wasn't scared or nervous about it and I did fine. The very same hour that I took my first shot, I shot my brother's .45 with no problem. I don't know any better, so I wasn't surprised by the recoil. I was actually expecting more.

I think it depends on your wife, if she is hesitant about shooting, there my be an advantage in starting with something smaller and working up to a larger caliber. If your goal is teaching her to use something that she could use for home defense, I'd skip the .22 and start with whatever caliber you plan to use. Have her handle lots of guns to see what feels comfortable in her hand. If it feels awkward, she may have trouble using it.

Whichever you decide, I'd spend some time teaching her the proper grip, stance, and how the gun works before you take her shooting. YouTube has lots of videos on those subjects!

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    The people who recommend starting on a .22 are either 1. NRA instructors or 2. someone who never started out on a full size caliber.

Not an NRA instructor and I started out on a centerfire caliber ... but I still recommend starting with a .22 even if you are going to put a 9mm or .45 in the shooter's hand 5 minutes later.

There is a fear of all firearms factor that is easier to unlearn with the low recoil guns. If the student has that and only gets more frightened by massive muzzle flip or limpwristing feed failures ... you aren't making progress.

Learn to walk before learning to run

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    She is a pretty petite girl with small wrists so .40 is not for her. It's way to snappy for her to keep it under control and that was even with a stainless guide rod and a 22# spring (which is part of the reason she cannot rack it lol)

My wife is petite, 115 lbs 5'4" and she loves shooting my stainless p226 in 40.

As far as racking at first she could not. the reason is simple. All of us will sloppy rack with no technique if recoil spring is light! There are a few youtubes and articles on proper grip and technique for racking and five minutes of practice once a day for a week will have her able to rack anything. My 13 year old daughter can rack the p226 and p229

The question is not her size it is: what is her level of interest?
    I originally thought my wife would be best with a revolver. She tried my 226 and loves it. So it is her home defense weapon of choice. I did get reduced reach on the trigger.

If your wife has enough interest to go to the range once a month for six months and twice a year there after. And has enough interest to learn field strip and cleaning I would strong suggest a full size semi auto in 40.

If she also wants carry there you want a smaller frame. I suggest getting home defense weapon and something smaller with the same manual of arms.

M&P full size and m&P shield is a good choice as well. That is what I set my daughter up with. the full size m&p have changeable backstraps and a proper grip can be had even with moderate small hands.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    It must have something to do with female hands. My wife went with the Glock 17L. I like the SIG P228.

(It is not my intention to admonish males who prefer Glocks as having 'girly' tendencies. You have to try the gun in your hand to see what works for you)

Sent from my smartphone using Tappatalk 2.

My wrists are not limp enough for a Glock. They just point up in the air.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    Not an NRA instructor and I started out on a centerfire caliber ... but I still recommend starting with a .22 even if you are going to put a 9mm or .45 in the shooter's hand 5 minutes later.

There is a fear of all firearms factor that is easier to unlearn with the low recoil guns. If the student has that and only gets more frightened by massive muzzle flip or limpwristing feed failures ... you aren't making progress.

Learn to walk before learning to run

Done the NRA instructor thing. One of my daughters teenage friends progressed through single shot 22 rifle to semi 22 rifle to 22 pistol then 9mm and 44mag all safely and comfortably in about an hour. This was her first firearm experience. If you hand them a 12ga with 3 1/2" mags for their first shot they will not want a second one. I let them master one step at a time and progress as their comfort level allows.

jkerm3

Jul 17, 2013
    Sunderland
    Beretta PX4 compact 9mm.

Rotating barrel does reduce perceived recoil and it is small and light enough to handle. It comes with 3 back straps so it can be customized for hand size too. Big slide makes it easy to grip and rack. DA/SA with a Decocker takes the "scary" out of it too.

CCPatriot

Jan 20, 2013
    Carroll County
    Bought my wife a Walther PPK/S .380 She likes it. More recoil because of the fixed barrel but it fits her hand perfectly. I like it because it's a Smith & Wesson Walther hehehehe

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom