• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    Doe st this also depend on the reloader’ experience levels?
    Less experienced individuals need a more forgiving powder to allow for potential variances.

Or am I wrong?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Doe st this also depend on the reloader’ experience levels?
    Less experienced individuals need a more forgiving powder to allow for potential variances.

Or am I wrong?
    I look at it differently. I wouldn't consider my self a very knowledgeably reloader. Therefore, when I'm working up loads, I always start low-ish on the powder scales and work up until I'm satisfied with my results. I can honestly say I have never loaded to the max recommendation on any reload. Now part of that may partially attributed to frugality, but mainly, I want to be safe. I trust my abilities and I trust my equipment, but Murphy was a reloader too.

boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    Thanks Outrider.

I have everything I need to reload except I haven’t done any. I have three setups, two RCBS single stage and a Dillon also.

Lots of powder, bullets and primers.

I have been reading for months and figure mid February I will start with a single stage press and work on some 45lc. Then progress from there.

One single press is currently set for 308.

I think I need to just meet up and watch someone else a few times then go from there.

I also have been working lots of hrs at work and home. Built my sons house with him for most of 2020 and now am almost caught up with my projects here.
    Except I am converting a Honda Element to a camper for my daughter to go around the US when she graduates this year.

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    The following is overgeneralizing but attempts to explain the differences in powders.

Powders that work well in light target loads like Bullseye, Unique, etc generate very high pressures and become erratic as you increase the charge past a certain point. But they burn cleanly and consistently in the light loads they are suited for.

Powders that work well in heavy, maximum magnum loads are dirty and erratic in light loads.

Pistol cases with small capacities (9mm, 40 S&W) don't "like" the same powders as pistol cases with larger volumes (38 Special, 357 magnum, 44 Magnum).

Maximum pressure in 38 Special is about half the max pressure of 357 Magnum.

Lots of variation in cartridges. No one powder is suitable for every use in every caliber.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    @Boothdoc. , not as an overall rule , but with a couple of * .

For certain specific things , will need a niche powder to meet a particular goal .

For the catagory of magnum revolvers ( and Ruger Only .45 Colt ) , 4227 is extremely forgiving

vstoval

Jan 26, 2021
    Middle River, MD
    I look at it differently. I wouldn't consider my self a very knowledgeably reloader. Therefore, when I'm working up loads, I always start low-ish on the powder scales and work up until I'm satisfied with my results. I can honestly say I have never loaded to the max recommendation on any reload. Now part of that may partially attributed to frugality, but mainly, I want to be safe. I trust my abilities and I trust my equipment, but Murphy was a reloader too.

I've been reloading since the early 90's and have loaded approximately 10k+ rounds and I also consider myself an amateur. Using load charts for my powders I've never really loaded anything near maximum on load charts. I've always played it safe and took this hobby seriously. I'm a creature of habit and found early on that I liked Unique powder and have stuck with it and have no issues with it in .357 mag rounds.

vstoval

Jan 26, 2021
    Middle River, MD
    The following is overgeneralizing but attempts to explain the differences in powders.

Powders that work well in light target loads like Bullseye, Unique, etc generate very high pressures and become erratic as you increase the charge past a certain point. But they burn cleanly and consistently in the light loads they are suited for.

Powders that work well in heavy, maximum magnum loads are dirty and erratic in light loads.

Pistol cases with small capacities (9mm, 40 S&W) don't "like" the same powders as pistol cases with larger volumes (38 Special, 357 magnum, 44 Magnum).

Maximum pressure in 38 Special is about half the max pressure of 357 Magnum.

Lots of variation in cartridges. No one powder is suitable for every use in every caliber.

See, that's my main question. I'm getting ready to load 44 mag loads and I have plenty Unique laying around and was curious what thoughts were for the different pistol calibers.

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    See, that's my main question. I'm getting ready to load 44 mag loads and I have plenty Unique laying around and was curious what thoughts were for the different pistol calibers.

I use Unique with my lead bullets but you can't nor want a whole lotta oomph out of them. There are magnum powders for that.

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    What type of 44 Magnum loads are you trying to create?

The best powder for max velocity with a extra heavy bullet might not work well when used to create 44 Special-range loads with light bullets.

I use Red Dot for light 44 Special/44 Magnum loads with lead bullets (700-800FPS). I use Red Dot because that is what i have. Power Pistol gives me very good velocities in 44 Special with lead bullets while keeping the pressure low. I don't reload 44 Magnum for top performance.

I restricted myself to the different powders that i have. Remember Maryland only allows a max of 5 pounds of smokeless powder.

vstoval

Jan 26, 2021
    Middle River, MD
    What type of 44 Magnum loads are you trying to create?

The best powder for max velocity with a extra heavy bullet might not work well when used to create 44 Special-range loads with light bullets.

I use Red Dot for light 44 Special/44 Magnum loads with lead bullets (700-800FPS). I use Red Dot because that is what i have. Power Pistol gives me very good velocities in 44 Special with lead bullets while keeping the pressure low. I don't reload 44 Magnum for top performance.

I restricted myself to the different powders that i have. Remember Maryland only allows a max of 5 pounds of smokeless powder.

Have Berry's 220gr JFP's looking for a good range load at about 1250 fps. Was thinking using Unique at about 11-11.5 grns.
    Also have some NBC 240gr copper coated lead but don't think i am going to use them.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Thanks Outrider.

I have everything I need to reload except I haven’t done any. I have three setups, two RCBS single stage and a Dillon also.

Lots of powder, bullets and primers.

I have been reading for months and figure mid February I will start with a single stage press and work on some 45lc. Then progress from there.

One single press is currently set for 308.

I think I need to just meet up and watch someone else a few times then go from there.

I also have been working lots of hrs at work and home. Built my sons house with him for most of 2020 and now am almost caught up with my projects here.
    Except I am converting a Honda Element to a camper for my daughter to go around the US when she graduates this year.

Go to the sticky about people willing to help you. Find one nearby.

Having someone to ask questions and keep an eye on you the first time can be helpful

Trigger Time

Amazed
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 23, 2013
    Have Berry's 220gr JFP's looking for a good range load at about 1250 fps. Was thinking using Unique at about 11-11.5 grns.
    Also have some NBC 240gr copper coated lead but don't think i am going to use them.
    That would be close, or exceeding max load according to Alliants data.
    While they don't list a plated 220gn bullet, they have a max load of 11gr of Unique for a 225 cast.
    http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/recipedetail.aspx?gtypeid=1&weight=225&shellid=33&bulletid=45

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Well at one level , if you only have one hammer , all your problems will look like the same nail .

But I can speak to Unique and .44mag . It can do well from quite mild up to approaching 1100fps . Much beyond that and the pressure rise is disproportionate to the increases in velocity . If you think you want very far beyond just over 10gr , you are better served by a slower powder .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom