Pistol range at AGC, how do I use it at 10yds?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tjiann

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2022
    AACo
    I was just there last week taking a class on the pistol range. There were several wooden stands available that you can set your own stand into if the legs have the right spacing. I didn't measure, but I think it was around 12-13" on center. The stands were just sitting around behind the concrete pad.
    Screenshot_20221124-122655.png

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I just build taller wooden frames and staple the targets at whatever height they need to be at for the given shooting distance.
    I usually make 2 at a time that way when one gets damaged beyond repair I’ve got another one ready to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clarksvilleal

Jul 28, 2019
    I just build taller wooden frames and staple the targets at whatever height they need to be at for the given shooting distance.
    I usually make 2 at a time that way when one gets damaged beyond repair I’ve got another one ready to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    How tall would the frame have to be usable on both the pistol range and the 100 yard range at all allowed distances?

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    How tall would the frame have to be usable on both the pistol range and the 100 yard range at all allowed distances?

Here you go.

Two important things if you want to make a frame that can be used on all of the AGC ranges.
    One, frame width. Adhere to the center spacing advised, and your frame will fit both a PVC frame and the pipes that are permanently installed on the Barnes range.

Two, make your frame such that you can vary your target height. Two piece adjustable works well. But 2 piece or otherwise, you ideally want to be able to vary your target height to ensure that, regardless of your distance, you can set the height needed to be able to keep all shots within the impact berm. Depending on the range, and depending upon the distance you are shooting, that can mean a target height of as little as 3 feet, or at one end of the pistol range at typically short distances, as much as 7 feet.

Attachments

• Target Frame (2).pdf
      522.1 KB · Views: 58

clarksvilleal

Jul 28, 2019
    Depending on the range, and depending upon the distance you are shooting, that can mean a target height of as little as 3 feet, or at one end of the pistol range at typically short distances, as much as 7 feet.
    Thanks, Duke! All good info.

However please clarify one thing regarding height. The 7 feet height you recommend for the pistol range short distances: Is that the height of the top of the frame, or would you want the center of the actual target you are shooting at to be 7' off the ground, so the frame itself might need to be 7-1/2 or 8' high?

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Thanks, Duke! All good info.

However please clarify one thing regarding height. The 7 feet height you recommend for the pistol range short distances: Is that the height of the top of the frame, or would you want the center of the actual target you are shooting at to be 7' off the ground, so the frame itself might need to be 7-1/2 or 8' high?

You would ideally want the ability to center your bullseye at 6.5 to 7 feet.

The pistol range layout is canted. You'll find that the left end of the pistol range closest to Barnes requires more target height because of the slope of the layout. The shorter the distance you're shooting, say with a target positioned as close as 3 yards like you may want to shoot with a handgun with defensive distances in mind, the more of that available target height adjustment you'll need. The more to the right the positions go, you'll find that the less height you'll need.

Conversely, on Barnes and if shooting a target at 100 yards, 4 feet is fine, and 3 feet can work. But move the target closer than 100 yards, and you increasingly need more height there as well.

If you're standing or sitting at your shooting position, the acid test at all ranges is this.....can I see the dirt of the berm behind my bullseye? If the answer is yes, you're good to go. But if not, you'll need to be able to adjust your target height.

Most adults are visual learners. AGC sells a 2 piece target frame that is height adjustable, while being able to fit in a car trunk when broken in half. It can be a good initial guide to eyeball one, or even buy an example, if you have the need to be able to combine sufficient height and proper foot width with frame portability.

Good Luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom