• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Af_catfish

Abandon All Hope
    Sep 6, 2011
    Bremen, Ohio
    Not too long ago I decided that it was time for me to procure a .45 acp pistol. One that could be used for general defense as well as range usage. My first choice was a 1911. Because as a red blooded american, why would I choose anything else? Having a goal in mind and money in the bank, I set upon my search. I wanted a basic no frills 1911 made by a company here in the States. Something like a Colt, Kimber, or Springfield Armory. I have nothing against RIA or the like, but I’m a bit of a fanboy. Plus it feels wrong to me to buy an american icon like the 1911 that was made overseas. Which also helped eliminate taurus and as I would later find out Springfield Armory. The Colts that I found were not the basic Government Model. Maybe I wasn’t looking in the right shops, but all I found were the Gold Cups, Rail Guns, and other special models. Having never shopped around for Kimbers, I was taken aback by how much they cost. For a good 1911, I was straying into H&K money. I found this thread http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=67615. One of the major points I took from it was that sub $1,000 american 1911s frequently need attention from a gunsmith to run reliably. I would like to thank Clandestine for opening my eyes to that fact. To me, if I give a grand for something it should work.
    With my 1911 dreams shattered I began to look elsewhere. I’ve shot a Glock 17 in the past so I began to look into them. I was concerned that the grip on the 21 would be too large for my girlishly small hands. But I figured the only way to be sure was to handle one. I went to MSAR and the Gen 4 21 felt right in my hands so I purchased one. Ten long days later I picked up my new engineering marvel. Once I got it home I field stripped it to get the packing preservative out of it. The 21 isn’t exactly a heavy gun, but it’s not light either. It has a respectable heft to it. When I pulled the slide off I discovered that the weight was all in the slide. The frame weighs approximately 2.53 Mousefarts. Being used to metal framed handguns like my 92fs, I was a tad dismayed for some reason. But I decided to wait and see how it shot before I made my final decision.
    Firing a weapon for the first time is always interesting for me. Every time it works as advertised is an amazing feeling. The Glock definitely held up its end of the bargain. I found I had a tendency to place too much of my finger on the trigger so quite a few of my shots were to the right. The trigger will take some getting used to. I’m also not the biggest fan of the rear box sight, which will also take some getting used to. But toward the end I managed to get some decent groupings. 45 is definitely a different animal than 9mm. My days of trashing glocks are in the past.
    Anyone else have a story of finding out something you talked trash about for so long turning out to be a quality product?

1970swifty

Oct 14, 2011
    Elkton,MD
    Welcome to the dark side. I felt the same about plastic guns a very long time ago at 21 my first pistol ended up being a glock 17.

28Shooter

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2010
    Baltimore, Maryland
    I like blued steel, wood and a good trigger(read S&Ws and Colts) but I bought an unfired secondhand Glock 17 last year and what can I say? Accurate, easy shoot, easy to take care of, and between the Tenifer finish and Polymer frame, something to keep in the nightstand and not worry about - Gaston got it right. It's a home defense tool and as the saying goes, "You show your Smiths and Colts to your friends, the bad guys you show your Glock."

Gundahar

Sep 4, 2011
    I thought this post would be about how credit cards make the shooting sports possible...... :-)

Gundahar

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    My G21SF has always been a nice bridge between my 1911s and 625.

G17 Gen 3 and a G22 Gen 1 too, just love that fantastic plastic

QuebecoisWolf

Ultimate Member
    May 14, 2008
    Anne Arundel
    Sadly the best functioning 1911's are those made from 1911 to 1945. They don't make them today like they used to.

I've also heard good things about the Norinco 1911s which were made in conditions similar to those in US factories from 1911-1945.

Products I knocked that I eventually bought? I can't think of any gun-wise, but I do have this story: a buddy of mine bought a post-ban Norinco AK. It had the unusual brown plastic and metal sidefolder that is unique to certain Type 56 models. I scoffed at the lack of a bayonet lug and the goofy looking muzzle break that looked like the AKM's slant compensator drank mutagen. That gun ran like a clock and shot 2-3" groups with regularity (shocking for an AK).

HardHatMan

FBHO
    Jul 14, 2009
    Virginia
    Sadly the best functioning 1911's are those made from 1911 to 1945. They don't make them today like they used to.

I have a GI Colt and the serial number says the manufacture date is early 1913. My great grandfather carried it in WW1. I'm never going to shoot it, though. :D

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I sold my competition Glock and my plastic framed Taurus and bought a P16-40 Limited and a CZ-75B. The only plastic pistol I have is a Keltec 9mm, which is my EDC pistol. When I get another pistol, I will not be buying another plastic fantastic, it will be steel framed. There are two, good 1911s out now that don't need a lot of work and don't cost a fortune and are made in the USA. The Remington and the Ruger.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83

I don't agree with that. I got a Colt Lightweight Commander in 1982 or '83 and it needed to be broken in but after a short break in period it has been 100% with the exception of a certain JHP load out of a certain marked aftermarket mag. With ball, that gun is 100%.

Gundahar

Sep 4, 2011
    I sold my competition Glock and my plastic framed Taurus and bought a P16-40 Limited and a CZ-75B. The only plastic pistol I have is a Keltec 9mm, which is my EDC pistol. When I get another pistol, I will not be buying another plastic fantastic, it will be steel framed.

Would you mind elaborating on that a bit for me? It seems that you are implying that you get more accuracy out of steel, and I was curious if you found that to be the case, or if I am just misreading.

Not arguing, mind you, just asking your experiences as I try to decide between a CZ, M&P, or SR1911 for a "high accuracy" handgun. The quotes are because I am still the one driving it :innocent0

Thanks,
    Gundahar

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Would you mind elaborating on that a bit for me? It seems that you are implying that you get more accuracy out of steel, and I was curious if you found that to be the case, or if I am just misreading.

Not arguing, mind you, just asking your experiences as I try to decide between a CZ, M&P, or SR1911 for a "high accuracy" handgun. The quotes are because I am still the one driving it :innocent0

Thanks,
    Gundahar

Sure. None of the plastic framed pistols felt right in my hand, and their triggers were so-so. The CZ felt like it was made for my hand. I stopped by a CZ vendor at the Chantilly show. Several people were handling the various CZ-75 models there. One guy didn't seem so sure, but he couldn't put the CZ down. Pick one up, you'll probably do the same thing. The only other pistol that does that for me is a 1911.

Just so you know, I have fired Glocks, M&Ps, Xds, and a few other plastic guns. None of them worked as well for me as the CZ or the 1911.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bapple

Latest threads

Top Bottom