• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    Just bought a glock 17 gen2 after swearing Id never own one . Now I like the damned thing :o

I looked at the newer ones but my hands are too big for the finger grooves .

Gundahar

Sep 4, 2011
    Thanks Jimbobborg. And sorry for thread derailment. I definitely have not bought something I have poo-poo'd earlier. But that's simply because I won't poo poo something I don't experience with first. I most definitely have purchased things I never expected I would--and a rifle optic is looming to be the next one!

Gundahar

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Thanks Jimbobborg. And sorry for thread derailment. I definitely have not bought something I have poo-poo'd earlier. But that's simply because I won't poo poo something I don't experience with first. I most definitely have purchased things I never expected I would--and a rifle optic is looming to be the next one!

Gundahar

I'm up to 32 guns now. I've bought and sold at least 20 others that didn't work for me. I've owned and sold another 20 that had to go due to financial difficulties. I've been shooting for 32 years now, I finally figured out what I like and what works for me.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    I love Glocks. I use to think "cowboy guns are ugly". I thought the SAA was weird looking and boring. I paid no attention to them at all for years. I started getting an interest in old West guns, then all of a sudden I owned a SAA. It is my favorite handgun I've ever fired. PERIOD. My autos now collect dust. I love all my guns and never buy something that I "kinda like". That's why my collection is small. One AR for this, one AR for that, I'm done. No overlap. One 1911, one Glock, one shotgun. And so on with the others. I'm thinking of getting a SAA in every barrel length and caliber as well as one made by Colt for the hell of it. Whoda thunkit? My first real overlap is with a gun I trashed for so long! Do YOU have one yet?

Af_catfish

Abandon All Hope
    Sep 6, 2011
    Bremen, Ohio
    You don't have enough safeties.

My finger is my safety.:innocent0 That was part of the appeal for me. I never use external safeties anyway.

Remind me to introduce you to paragraphs at some point in the near future.

It was alot more coherent when I typed it up on a word processor. Copy and paste does weird things. I gotta start using Preview Post.

I love Glocks. I use to think "cowboy guns are ugly". I thought the SAA was weird looking and boring. I paid no attention to them at all for years. I started getting an interest in old West guns, then all of a sudden I owned a SAA. It is my favorite handgun I've ever fired. PERIOD. My autos now collect dust. I love all my guns and never buy something that I "kinda like". That's why my collection is small. One AR for this, one AR for that, I'm done. No overlap. One 1911, one Glock, one shotgun. And so on with the others. I'm thinking of getting a SAA in every barrel length and caliber as well as one made by Colt for the hell of it. Whoda thunkit? My first real overlap is with a gun I trashed for so long! Do YOU have one yet?

I enjoy historical replicas and C&R firearms quite a bit. I'll get a SAA one day. I need one to keep my lever action company.

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    Congratulations on your Glock. :thumbsup:
    I may have missed it, but just curious, did you check out the Ruger SR1911? It meets your made in America criteria, and all of my Rugers have done well.

MH

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    Just bought a glock 17 gen2 after swearing Id never own one . Now I like the damned thing :o

I looked at the newer ones but my hands are too big for the finger grooves .

It's scary man. If you are a 1911 guy ( I know you have some old ones) it will take a little while getting used to the grip angle on the 17. I love my 1911 but it's getting kind of expensive so feed it and it's been giving me fits lately. My Glocks just work. I've put over 1000 through my 19 since the new year without a single malfunction of any kind. They may be ugly and obviously don't have a crisp 1911 like trigger but reliability trumps all for me.

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    It's scary man. If you are a 1911 guy ( I know you have some old ones) it will take a little while getting used to the grip angle on the 17. I love my 1911 but it's getting kind of expensive so feed it and it's been giving me fits lately. My Glocks just work. I've put over 1000 through my 19 since the new year without a single malfunction of any kind. They may be ugly and obviously don't have a crisp 1911 like trigger but reliability trumps all for me.

The grip angle is fine I actually like it , its the trigger that is going to take some getting used to .

They are ugly but I didn't get it to win any beauty contests , I got it for reliability and that they are . This one is a tool it doesn't need to be pretty .

And if God forbid I ever have to use it in self defense or defending my family it will be taken as evidence and likely not returned , they are more easily replaceable then anything else I have and cheaper to replace.

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008

I keep hearing about the grip angle on Glocks, but my 21 has the exact same angle as my 1911, 110 degrees, even checked with a protractor.:confused: :shrug:

MH

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    Glocks (as well as some other guns; a Luger comes to mind) have a grip angle of 110 degrees. 1911's are closer to 100 degrees (103?) I shoot 1911's 90% of the time; when I blind-point a Glock, I'm always aiming high. I could get over the angle; it's the trigger I really, REALLY don't like. I'll be getting a Florida and Utah permit soon, so will need a compact carry. It will probably be a G29 or G30, but I'll need to do something about the trigger. I read good things about Glockworx triggers.

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    Glocks (as well as some other guns; a Luger comes to mind) have a grip angle of 110 degrees. 1911's are closer to 100 degrees (103?) I shoot 1911's 90% of the time; when I blind-point a Glock, I'm always aiming high. I could get over the angle; it's the trigger I really, REALLY don't like. I'll be getting a Florida and Utah permit soon, so will need a compact carry. It will probably be a G29 or G30, but I'll need to do something about the trigger. I read good things about Glockworx triggers.

My 1911's all came out out 110 degrees, all three of them.:shrug:
    As far as the Glock trigger, I have put Ghost connectors on both my Glock and Ruger SR9 (internally identical to the Glock) and I have been very happy with thm. They take about 30 seconds to install, and contrary to what some have said, I have gotten 3.5lbs from the 3.5 lb connector, as verified by my digital trigger pull gauge. They do take a little to get used to, but I shoot those next to other pistols, and I can transition from one to another fairly easy.

Hope this helps.

MH

Af_catfish

Abandon All Hope
    Sep 6, 2011
    Bremen, Ohio
    Congratulations on your Glock. :thumbsup:
    I may have missed it, but just curious, did you check out the Ruger SR1911? It meets your made in America criteria, and all of my Rugers have done well.

MH

I did, but I was in the market for either a blued or parkerized type finish. Stainless is cool, but I like the low key darker finishes.

They are ugly but I didn't get it to win any beauty contests , I got it for reliability and that they are . This one is a tool it doesn't need to be pretty .

And if God forbid I ever have to use it in self defense or defending my family it will be taken as evidence and likely not returned , they are more easily replaceable then anything else I have and cheaper to replace.

Well stated. Although I find mine to be attractive in a utilitarian sort of way. The main emphasis is how well it works, not how cool it looks. Maybe it's just starting to grow on me.

I was also thinking this. Plus when I move back to Ohio and can get a CCW license I would feel better about carrying this than a nice 1911. Carry guns tend to get wear marks and scratches from what I've seen.

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    The grip angle is fine I actually like it , its the trigger that is going to take some getting used to .

Wait until you try my Gen 2 17 with a Ghost connector and reduced power firing pin spring. It's way better than the stock trigger on my other Glocks.

gmhowell

Not Banned Yet
    Nov 28, 2011
    Monkey County

Didn't like the SAA and 'cowboy guns', yet your namesake uses a Webley?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ddsabedra

Latest threads

Top Bottom