• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HumbleEinstein

May 31, 2012
    Falls Church, VA
    Is anyone going to be in the AM session at PNTC's USPSA comp in May (next weekend) doing production division? I'm still relatively new and find that I benefit when I squad with other people in my division. Last time no one in my squad was doing production and I think I suffered for it.

Please let me know if you'll be there and doing production. I would like to squad with you. Thanks.

snyperdave

Oct 30, 2012
    Pasadena, MD
    Is anyone going to be in the AM session at PNTC's USPSA comp in May (next weekend) doing production division? I'm still relatively new and find that I benefit when I squad with other people in my division. Last time no one in my squad was doing production and I think I suffered for it.

Please let me know if you'll be there and doing production. I would like to squad with you. Thanks.

Look forward to shooting with you. Is this your first match or do you like to shoot with more people shooting the same division as you?

HumbleEinstein

May 31, 2012
    Falls Church, VA
    This is my second season. Fifth or sixth match. Last month I was in a group where I was the only one shooting production. Still being new, it made it a lot harder to plan my stages and I made more mistakes as a result.

covertpanda

Penguin Hunter
    Sep 10, 2013
    Carroll

Shoot 10... reload; repeat as needed. Not a plan of exacting detail, but it generally works. Goodluck.

snyperdave

Oct 30, 2012
    Pasadena, MD
    I might not make it now. Found out there is a hole in the floor board of my car and the water on the highway is getting in. Need to see if I can fix it this weekend.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    if you can stay around and do uspsa in afternoon, I am doing that and would be happy to squad with you and give you a few tips and tricks, though I'm definitely not the best guy there. ditto if you want to try idpa in morning which I'm doing (sure if you call they wouldn't mind switching you around).

HumbleEinstein

May 31, 2012
    Falls Church, VA
    if you can stay around and do uspsa in afternoon, I am doing that and would be happy to squad with you and give you a few tips and tricks, though I'm definitely not the best guy there. ditto if you want to try idpa in morning which I'm doing (sure if you call they wouldn't mind switching you around).
    Thanks for the offer, but I need to do it in the morning.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    it's pretty rare to have a squad with no production shooters. you should have gotten a squadding email. look at the names on each squad and then cross reference with the results for last month's match and find which squad has some production shooters and pick that squad. let the RO know you're relatively new and would appreciate advice and i'm sure they will give you great advice and feedback.

uspsa is all about accuracy and speed, and lot of speed comes from efficiency. don't make a lot of unnecessary movements. also, pick times when you need to be on the move to reload, never do a standing reload. so if you have an array of four targets (8 shots) at one location, and then have to move to shoot the next array, reload while moving even though you still have 3 rounds in your gun.

if you want me to walk thru a stage or two with you in the morning, lemme know and i'll be up there around 8am.

if you want to email me the squad lists i'll help you pick the best squad and identify who would be good to learn from.

be safe and have fun!

HumbleEinstein

May 31, 2012
    Falls Church, VA
    it's pretty rare to have a squad with no production shooters. you should have gotten a squadding email. look at the names on each squad and then cross reference with the results for last month's match and find which squad has some production shooters and pick that squad. let the RO know you're relatively new and would appreciate advice and i'm sure they will give you great advice and feedback.

uspsa is all about accuracy and speed, and lot of speed comes from efficiency. don't make a lot of unnecessary movements. also, pick times when you need to be on the move to reload, never do a standing reload. so if you have an array of four targets (8 shots) at one location, and then have to move to shoot the next array, reload while moving even though you still have 3 rounds in your gun.

if you want me to walk thru a stage or two with you in the morning, lemme know and i'll be up there around 8am.

if you want to email me the squad lists i'll help you pick the best squad and identify who would be good to learn from.

be safe and have fun!
    I have done a good amount of studying up, which has already exposed me to most of the basics and theory. The thing that I still waiver on is actually planning what route I'm going to take through a stage. Specifically, the best order to engage targets, ideal spots to shoot from, etc...

Of all my matches, last time was the first in which I was the only production guy. Watching the non production people wasn't really helpful to my stage planning because they all had full mags. I was on my own and walked away thinking I could have planned at least two of my stages a little better. It's really helpful to watch and learn from what other similarly situated people decide to do. While I don't always do exactly the same, it is informative.

covertpanda

Penguin Hunter
    Sep 10, 2013
    Carroll
    I have done a good amount of studying up, which has already exposed me to most of the basics and theory. The thing that I still waiver on is actually planning what route I'm going to take through a stage. Specifically, the best order to engage targets, ideal spots to shoot from, etc...

Of all my matches, last time was the first in which I was the only production guy. Watching the non production people wasn't really helpful to my stage planning because they all had full mags. I was on my own and walked away thinking I could have planned at least two of my stages a little better. It's really helpful to watch and learn from what other similarly situated people decide to do. While I don't always do exactly the same, it is informative.
    Quick question; are you asking how others should shoot a given COF, or how you should? The items you noted are really dependent on your current skill level. Target order and positions will vary based on how comfortable you are with getting hits at those locations. For example, most new people will shoot from more positions than someone more experienced as it allows them to get closer to the targets, helps to divide the stage into distinct chunks, and often simply because there happens to be an opening between the walls. As your skills increase, so will your ability to effectively plan a stage; as you have shot more matches and ultimately viewed more possible stage configurations.

Or..... just invest in a few extended base pads and shoot limited.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    What are you shooting and what size mags and how many do you have for it? If your gun has mags carrying at least 15 rounds and you have at least 3 of them you can shoot Limited with even a 9mm (shooting as Minor) without a lot of handicap. I have done it for a good while without having a .40. And with mags extended to 19 rounds I only need 2 for the biggest stages. At that point accuracy is the most important as only A hits will give you the same points as a .40 shooter. And yes I also have an open gun with 28 rd mags. If I had a Glock, M&P or XDm with with 17 rd mags I would shoot Limited before I shot Production, even with a 9mm at a local match for sure.

HumbleEinstein

May 31, 2012
    Falls Church, VA
    I shoot a CZ SP-01 Shadow custom. I have plenty of mag space but I like shooting production. My gun is as tuned as a production gun can get. Frankly, I feel like I have a bit of an edge for that reason.

My accuracy is pretty good. My biggest problem is I'm slow on my feet and I don't always run the stages in the most efficient manner. Those are the two things I'm working on. Moving faster is all on me. Planning stages can come from experience or drawing from the knowledge of others. I'm trying to learn from others whenever I can. That's why I was a little disappointed to be the lone production guy last time.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom