• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • awptickes

Jun 26, 2011
    N. Of Perryville
    Yesterday I shot my 10/22 and suppressor. I couldn't hit ANYTHING with the Remington Subsonic ammo I had brought. We're talking about a 6" group at 25yd. I began to worry that possibly my suppressor was damaged, so I took it off, opened it up, and knocked some of the fouling out, and then reassembled it, it's a monocore, so that's easy. Then out of curiosity, I took a couple shots with the can off.

Without the can, with the Remington Subsonic, I was able to put 5rd through the same hole. So I replaced the suppressor, and tried again. First shot goes exactly where I'm aiming, but the next four go wherever they want.

I thought maybe ammo, so I ran a couple federal bulk pack rounds through it. Exactly on POI, both with and without the suppressor. 5rd touching with this stuff. I was a little amazed that walmart bulk-pack shot better than the Remington Subsonic.

I didn't bring any other subsonic ammo, so I left after determining it wasn't my can. I'm going to take some time today to really scrub clean the suppressor to look for baffle stack damage, but I don't expect to find any.

The crown on my threaded barrel is fine, the threads were cut with a CNC lathe, and the shoulder is good.

Any ideas on this? I'm totally confused.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    How long is the barrel and what is the host firearm?

Your set up maybe allowing the the rem 38 grain subsonic load to accelerate to supersonic velocity and that may cause instability or bullet flutter. Shooting supersonic bulk ammo negates that from happening.

awptickes

Jun 26, 2011
    N. Of Perryville
    How long is the barrel and what is the host firearm?

Your set up maybe allowing the the rem 38 grain subsonic load to accelerate to supersonic velocity and that may cause instability or bullet flutter. Shooting supersonic bulk ammo negates that from happening.

Barrel is a 16.1" stainless steel Ruger factory barrel, threaded on a CNC lathe. Host is just a standard 10/22 with the Kidd charge handle, and the subsonic weight spring.

I don't hear a sonic boom/crack at all, so I do not think its reaching supersonic velocities.

I do plan on trying some of the Gemtech subsonic next time, along with some Aguila 40gr subsonic, in both my 22lr AR and the 10/22.

I opened a support ticket with Remington, so we'll see what comes of that.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I find that most Remington ammo sucks in any of my .22s Bolt or semi. Federal is good stuff, just impossible to find. I found 3 -325 val packs at WM recently. Haven't seen it in 6 months.

Bigpapa

Enthusiast
    Apr 18, 2011
    MD
    I have a couple bricks of the Gemtech subsonic and have had great results @ 100yds with a suppressed Savage bolt action FV-SR.

awptickes

Jun 26, 2011
    N. Of Perryville
    Yeah, I'm going to try some better ammo at some point. I have some Aguila Subsonic and some Gemtech subsonic. Not sure when I'll get to go to the range in the next couple weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom