• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mikeyworks

Sep 20, 2007
    Bel Air, MD
    I saw this video on CNN.com this morning:

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2007/12/16/nurenberg.gun.amnesty.cnn?iref=videosearch

It seems that DC had a guy buy back this weekend. It always breaks my heart to see what people turn in. I know handguns are illegal in the city, currenty, but why would folks just give them over for just pennies on the dollar?

Here's a couple of (biased) Washinton Post articles on the event:
    javascript:void(popitupbig('http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/photo/2007/12/15/PH2007121501743.html',650,850))

GUN AMNESTY PROGRAM
    Police Net 279 Firearms With Buyback
    Event at Churches Lures Owners Ready to Trade Old Weapons for Holiday Cash
    By Delphine Schrank
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Sunday, December 16, 2007; Page C06

For $100 and the prospect of some cash in hand for Christmas shopping, Levaun Dicks marched into the basement of Union Temple Baptist Church in Southeast Washington yesterday and handed a police officer a plastic bag containing a loaded 9mm Makarov semiautomatic pistol.

"It was lying in my dad's shed," said Dicks, 31, of Fort Washington, who was recently laid off from a real estate company. "It wasn't needed, and I need the money."

Dicks was among scores of Washington area residents to participate yesterday in the D.C. police department's gun amnesty program. Held at three churches -- officers had hoped the non-threatening setting would lure people who might be intimidated by having to head into a police station -- residents were offered $100 for assault-type rifles or semiautomatic pistols, $50 for revolvers, derringers, shotguns and rifles, and $10 for air, BB and pellet guns.

The buyback netted 279 firearms yesterday in return for $14,450.
    The program takes place against a backdrop of gun violence in the city. As of Friday, the District had 176 homicides this year, compared with 169 for all of 2006. Robberies and assaults with guns are also up in many neighborhoods.
    D.C. police have recovered more than 10,000 guns in the past five years in the city, despite having one of the strictest gun laws in the country. The District's law essentially bans private handgun ownership and requires that rifles and shotguns kept in private homes be unloaded and disassembled or outfitted with a trigger lock. The law, which is being challenged by advocates who say it violates Second Amendment rights, will be reviewed next year by the U.S. Supreme Court.

Police have held other guns-for-cash exchanges in recent years, including one at three police stations in September 2006 that netted 337 firearms in return for $16,700. This year, said police Cmdr. Joel Maupin, the District allocated $100,000 for the buyback.

At Shiloh Baptist Church in Northwest, 81 guns cluttered the bottoms of three giant cardboard boxes by midday, as a middle-aged man with a semiautomatic wrapped in plastic walked up to policemen on watch outside the church.

In the basement of Union Temple Baptist Church, behind panels decorated with children's crayoned drawings of candy canes and cotton-wool snowscapes, police officers mingled near a table covered with more than 30 firearms, from palm-size semiautomatics and revolvers with dainty pearl-handle grips to shotguns and hunting rifles.

As in the past, police took the guns with no questions asked. They planned to test-fire them and gather ballistics evidence. Investigators will determine whether the guns can be linked to any crimes. Guns that have been cleared will be destroyed.

"We don't really expect people involved in criminal activity" to hand in their weapons, said Maupin, who heads the 7th Police District in Southeast. "But every weapon we get is one less that could be used against an owner or anyone in the street. It's important to get any weapon off the street."
    Maupin said the majority of buybacks were from citizens who had little use for their firearms.

"I was holding onto it for sentimental reasons," said Charlotte McGutherie, 59, of the pearl-handled, .30-caliber, five-shot revolver that had fallen into her possession when her mother died in 1985. For years it had lain stashed away in a basement filing cabinet.

Ernest Austin, 53, of Silver Spring said he bought his Davis .380 semiautomatic -- small enough for slipping into a breast pocket -- 10 years ago for $100 for home protection. He'd never had to use it, he said, and kept it locked away in a closet. But in recent years, he grew concerned that his two children, 15 and 12, might get their hands on it.

Handing over a 12-gauge shotgun and a shopping bag bulging with ammunition, Wanda Brooks, 56, of Oxon Hill also said she felt uncomfortable having a weapon hidden in a closet within reach of seven roaming grandchildren. The gun had belonged to her partner, who used it to hunt before he died last year.

A police officer handed her a $50 bill. She looked at it a moment and, with a smile, said, "I'm going to buy a Christmas tree."

2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    "We don't really expect people involved in criminal activity" to hand in their weapons, said Maupin, who heads the 7th Police District in Southeast. "But every weapon we get is one less that could be used against an owner or anyone in the street. It's important to get any weapon off the street."

It strikes me as funny that Maupin says something so absolutely true, and something so absolutely false in back to back sentences.

Mdman

Aug 21, 2007
    denver
    when ever I hear about something like this happening I just want to stand in front of the door making sure I get first dibs.

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    I'll be the outlier here :D :

1) the people handing them in probably don't know any better. All the news reports and articles about this buyback include interviews with people who obviously either don't know anything about guns or who would truly be better off without the gun in their house (like the lady going to buy a Christmas tree with her $50). The WashPost discussed a guy handing in a loaded pistol. Did he think it was a good idea to walk around with a loaded pistol in DC? In a plastic bag!? Did he know how to check to see if it was loaded? Did he know how to unload it?

2) The largest source of guns for crooks is theft, hands down. Every one of these guns being dusted off from up in the attic, down in the basement, or in the underwear drawer and handed in is one less to be stolen. Since these people don't know about guns, it seems they haven't been securing them properly.

3) In light of #1 & #2, I couldn't say the officer being quoted is far off the mark. The old lady handing in her deceased companion's shotgun WOULD have the shotgun used against her or stolen. She doesn't seem to be trained in home defense use, nor did she seem concerned about keeping the shotgun in a safe.

4) True, if these people wanted to sell the old guns they could have taken them to a gun shop. But maybe they didn't know they could do that? A news article in PA(?) this year illustrated how EVERY local Phila. area PD was clueless as to how an owner could dispose of unwanted guns. If these buyback participants had called the local PD around here and gotten the same answer, they would be unaware of their options. What else could they do but go to the buyback?

5) It could also be that they tried the gun shop route and the shop wouldn't buy the old guns or put them on consignment because they were POS. I live in the DC area, never watch TV, and still knew about the buyback from reading the internets. If you don't want the gun, and the PD and shops wouldn't take it, what else could you do but go to the buyback?

I don't see the buyback as a horrible thing. Though MS-13 is hardly lining up to hand in their guns, it is a net positive for uninterested, uncommitted people to disarm. The last thing the RKBA community needs is another piece of bad PR for the antis to run with. Every headline about "self defense gun stolen," or "self defense gun kills child," or "crook shoots owner with self defense gun" puts us back two steps. I would rather focus on going on the offensive than playing defense.

Simon Yu

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2007
    Rockville
    I don't see the buyback as a horrible thing. Though MS-13 is hardly lining up to hand in their guns, it is a net positive for uninterested, uncommitted people to disarm. The last thing the RKBA community needs is another piece of bad PR for the antis to run with. Every headline about "self defense gun stolen," or "self defense gun kills child," or "crook shoots owner with self defense gun" puts us back two steps. I would rather focus on going on the offensive than playing defense.

I think the biggest issue is more that they get destroyed afterwards, not necessarily the "buyback" itself. Having an alternative to personally dealing with the hoops involved with selling a handgun is fine, it's the destruction of things of value or the possibility of destruction without a criminal trace that bugs us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom