• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kennerator

Jan 23, 2013
    Hey guys,

I know this is Political in nature, and should probably be in the National or MD 2A section, but some days i dont get on that thread and just stop by the reloading thread, so i figured i would start here as it would effect the members who check this thread the most.

It looks like some of the countries legislatures are attempting to pass a bill regulating the sale of smokeless and black powder in order to try and prevent people from producing explosive devices in the home. I assume it to be feel good legislation that is fall out from boston.

The bill, S. 792 can be found below:
    http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-113s792is/pdf/BILLS-113s792is.pdf
    and is titled: S. 792 - To strengthen the enforcement of background checks with respect to the use of explosive materials.

Most of it looks to me (im no law maker), to be in relation with being convicted of certain domestic and violent crimes. Which makes some sense i suppose, but there is talk of requiring people to apply for a permit which would have a fee associated with it and that is the part that grinds my gears. So all that said, i think im going to start writing some letters. Im curious to see what your alls thoughts are as well as i havent seen much in regard to this particular bill on MDShooters, correct me if i have missed something. You guys have any thoughts on all this?

Kennerator

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    I guess they didn't read the news reports. They need to ban fireworks, not reloading. Either that, or get a clue and realize it will do little more than line the pockets of lawyers. I am sure it is very unlikely that is the real goal of most politicians. (end sarcasm)

noylj

Jun 3, 2012
    It is the fee that they are interested in. Politicians (government) want CONTROL and MONEY. Control of the money supply, control of what people do, control of what is sold, control of everything.
    To meet demands for more money (so they can give it to those who will support their re-election and vote for them), requires ever increasing taxes, fees, and fines.
    Didn't everyone learn this in school? Guess not, based on voting records.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    This is bad. Any time they can take away the rights by calling you a terrorist you're done because under the "Patriot" Act a terrorist is "anybody we say is a terrorist". This as we've already seen could include returning vets, Christians, people who buy a case of baked beans at Costco.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    This is bad. Any time they can take away the rights by calling you a terrorist you're done because under the "Patriot" Act a terrorist is "anybody we say is a terrorist". This as we've already seen could include returning vets, Christians, people who buy a case of baked beans at Costco.

Baked beans, weapons of mass destruction on the wrong hands. :lol2::lol:

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD

This is why I will call Bush a traitor to his face. I fully expect Obama to start classifying groups as terrorists and under the NDAA of 2012, he can send them to Gitmo without due process, without habeas corpus, and without notification of anyone. Am I becoming a candidate for a tin hat?

mike_in_md

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2008
    Howard County
    When they ban or make it too hard to buy liquor or alcohol people will make their own. I see no difference in making black powder.

It isn't that hard to make black powder.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    Attempting to control this stuff simply raises the bar for the level of effort required to make it. Sort of like locks - they don't really stop a determined thief - they just raise the level of effort above which most people won't make the attempt.

A criminal / terrorist with a little time can go to Lowes, Ace, and the local supermarket and obtain the material to make black powder, or worse, higher explosives. It simply takes time, knowledge, and a whole lot of guts/hatred to mix it.

I guess the politicians will be banning dirt next. :rolleyes:

BeerHunter

Don't ReMember
    Feb 13, 2013
    SoPROM
    Trying to argue the facts with the Anti-2A crowd has proven futile. They don't care about facts OR public safety and will lie, cheat, and distort the language to try and justify their "controls" are for the public good and effective at doing so. Don't argue on their terms. It doesn't work!

Winterborn

Moved to Texas
    Aug 19, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    When they ban or make it too hard to buy liquor or alcohol people will make their own. I see no difference in making black powder.

It isn't that hard to make black powder.

Way its going, time to buy a couple flintlocks and start making my own powder....no primers needed, and I already cast my own boolits.

Trigger Time

Amazed
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 23, 2013
    There is already some good info out there on how to reload your primers using capgun caps. So start saving those primers too.

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    Attempting to control this stuff simply raises the bar for the level of effort required to make it. Sort of like locks - they don't really stop a determined thief - they just raise the level of effort above which most people won't make the attempt.

A criminal / terrorist with a little time can go to Lowes, Ace, and the local supermarket and obtain the material to make black powder, or worse, higher explosives. It simply takes time, knowledge, and a whole lot of guts/hatred to mix it.

I guess the politicians will be banning dirt next. :rolleyes:

So hey, will you make me a batch of Red Dot?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom