• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Marauder

Revolver Addict
    Dec 14, 2010
    I would not own a Polymer lower receiver, to much potential for breaking if dropped or fallen over. :tdown:

Last edited:

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    The important part for a polymer lower is proper components. They work best with flat wire buffer springs (no spring stacking), Rifle Gas, sufficient buffer length to prevent the gas key from striking the lower receiver extension ring, non-notched hammers, and adjustable gas to prevent overgssing.

Superior Shooting Solutions makes the action spring. SLR Rifle works makes the best adjustable gas block.

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    I have one of their 223 lowers but I don't have a lot of rounds through it. I did it as a project to see the lowest weight that we could produce. It came in about 5.5lbs. I don't know how the addition recoil of a 308 would do but would be interesting. I think that the added weight of a normal ar10 lower might help.

Marauder

Revolver Addict
    Dec 14, 2010
    Seriously? Do you think polymer is like glass or something. Modern polymers are extremely strong.

Well you do a search on Al Gores amazing internet and see how well AR15 polymer lowers hold up, they seem to crack where the buffer tube screws into the lower.

zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    The internet search you reference is for those Cav Arms ones from forever ago. I've got a New Frontier that I like.

Sewer Rat

Ultimate Member
    The important part for a polymer lower is proper components. They work best with flat wire buffer springs (no spring stacking), Rifle Gas, sufficient buffer length to prevent the gas key from striking the lower receiver extension ring, non-notched hammers, and adjustable gas to prevent overgssing.

Superior Shooting Solutions makes the action spring. SLR Rifle works makes the best adjustable gas block.

Thank you... and will be switching some components on my poly lower.

Like I thought, poly 308s are too new an idea

chsnprodigy

Dec 24, 2012
    Why would you ever buy a polymer lower?

I made my wife an AR with a polymer lower, and it operates just fine. Here are some off the cuff reasons to buy a polymer lower....

1. The price is lower compared to an ali lower.
    2. For weight reasons. If you are trying to build a light weight rifle this can save on some weight.
    3. Ease of manufacturing. If you are machining a 80% lower polymer is easier to work with than ali. I'm a machinist and I understand how easy ali is to work with...im just saying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom