• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    I wanted a case that I could fit everything needed for a 3 gun match. To that end I bought a pelican 1740 and built some gun racks to fit inside the case out of PVC board I found a Lowe's. I choose PVC because plastic glues better to plastic and I didn't want to put screws into the case and void the lifetime warrantee.

So far it's coming along well and I found I could fit more than just my 3 gun, guns. I'm still trying to come up with a good way to mount my handguns in the door, but I'll figure it out.

As pictured left to right: Saiga 5.45x39, Saiga 12, Remington 700 AAC, SPR AR-15. All guns fit with their scopes installed with plenty of clearance.

-Jim
    ybudagyg.jpg

Last edited:

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    Does it have wheels?

It must weight a ton.

Yep, it's got the typical large pelican case wheels. I've loaded smaller cases than this one to 150+ lbs. with zero issues.

The case itself weighs 22lbs, each rifle is apx. 8lbs. When loaded for 3 gun I only have 2 long guns so it's still easy to move around.

-Jim

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    If you remove the other piece of foam you can attach the Kydex holster on that side. Use something like a bungee cord attached across the PVC board to keep the long guns secured.

The only other thing I would add is magazine storage. Maybe a mesh bag with zipper mounted on the same side as the handguns and secured to the case.

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    If you remove the other piece of foam you can attach the Kydex holster on that side. Use something like a bungee cord attached across the PVC board to keep the long guns secured.

The only other thing I would add is magazine storage. Maybe a mesh bag with zipper mounted on the same side as the handguns and secured to the case.

Yep, I just bought some kydex sheet to mold to my guns and then attach the kydex to the lid of the box. I might even make some magazine holsters out of kydex as well, although I like the mesh bag idea for general storage.

I do have bungee cords on the top rack right now. I've got studs in the lower rack, but just need to go back to lowes to get more mini bungee cords. I bent the metal hooks around screws so that the bungee cords are fixed on one side and I won't loose them after taking the rifles out.

Great ideas!

-Jim

VWTurbo

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2010
    Perry Hall
    do you have room behind the barrels for the kydex to sit so the pistol handle will be parallel with the barrels?you could do a left side and right side in that case and could probably even cant them so you wouldn't really need anything special to keep them in but gravity

mdvctry

Follow Me @DukesDefense
    Nov 10, 2011
    Great idea! I like the kydex idea, I would use it for the magazines also and/or if you have a chest harness, crest a PVC hanger and have the chest rig setup the way you would run it. Again, very nice.

Last edited:

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Yep, I just bought some kydex sheet to mold to my guns and then attach the kydex to the lid of the box. I might even make some magazine holsters out of kydex as well, although I like the mesh bag idea for general storage.

I do have bungee cords on the top rack right now. I've got studs in the lower rack, but just need to go back to lowes to get more mini bungee cords. I bent the metal hooks around screws so that the bungee cords are fixed on one side and I won't loose them after taking the rifles out.

Great ideas!

-Jim
    :o I see the bungee cords in the pic now. Opps, sorry for stating the obvious:o

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    glad to help, I love having ideas that work out.
    Where does one get kydex if I wanted to try something myself

I bought my sheets of Kydex and associated hardware( to DIY an additional IWB holster) on Amazon. With prime free shipping it was the lowest price I could find.

-Jim

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    Not sure I would want to carry it but perfect for under the bed surprises.

Yea, it's heavier than I thought all loaded up. But still good when I only have 2 long guns. In between taking it out, I can use it as a supplement gun cabinet since my current one is overflowing.

Plus if I need to go take over a small country (like id like to with Libya right now) I'm good to go.

-Jim

hooligan82

Ultimate Member
    Nov 2, 2011
    Baltimore county
    You can get kydex, rivets, and tools to do the work through knifekits.com and usaknifemaker.com . Check out phillyedc on youtube, he has some good how to videos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom