• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • survivorRob

Apr 1, 2009
    I know this is all very preliminary, but I am guessing an AWB is pretty much a guarantee at this point. I am guessing it will mirror New York's. The question I have is about stripped lowers. Technically they would still be legal right, since it is just a stripped lower? And if that is the case, this whole thing is really no big deal since you can just buy a stripped lower and turn it into whatever you want, correct? Sorry if I am way off base here. I am just thinking that this AWB would just forbid dealers from selling complete AR's that have certain features.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    might depend on the definition of "manufacturing". You might have to hold it funny without the evil pistol grip.

It's not a done deal yet!

Mr H

Unincited Co-Conservative
    I know this is all very preliminary, but I am guessing an AWB is pretty much a guarantee at this point. I am guessing it will mirror New York's. The question I have is about stripped lowers. Technically they would still be legal right, since it is just a stripped lower? And if that is the case, this whole thing is really no big deal since you can just buy a stripped lower and turn it into whatever you want, correct? Sorry if I am way off base here. I am just thinking that this AWB would just forbid dealers from selling complete AR's that have certain features.

Cart belongs behind the horse.

Deep breaths.

Something a lot of folks allow to get to them is, that proposals do not equal effect.

Personally (and I'm hearing it backed up in the infoworld), I doubt there is the national stomach for any outright ban. And the drilled-down details are just speculation.

My suggestion would be to stay abreast of the happenings, look at the big picture, and step away from the unknown specifics.

gswayne

Left Maryland, Freedom
    Nov 9, 2011

Stop with the negative waves Moriarity. Get engaged and stop the proposed bans.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Is there a link to the actual proposal? I just built out a tactical sks with 20 mags and now I'm wondering if I'll even legally allowed to keep it

As of right now, there are no actual proposals. Just rhetoric.

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    Stop with the negative waves Moriarity. Get engaged and stop the proposed bans.

Exactly.

I've said this before, but I think it needs repeating. Lots of O'malley's heat he is bringing down on us could just be rhetoric to raise his national profile for a 2016 Presidential run. He may not be as interested in an AWB as he appears. He could well be pandering to his base in clamoring publicly for an AWB, while in private working to make sure it doesn't pass so his name won't be associated with successful AWB legislation. O'Malley didn't get where he is at because he is dumb. Keep his email box filled as well as other elected officials and it will pay dividends.

Keep burning up the phone lines, and this legislation can very well be defeated. We have a pretty good track record these last few years.

survivorRob

Apr 1, 2009
    I apologize if I came off as being negative. I was just trying to get clarification on a potential AWB and like I said, I know this is all preliminary. I was stationed overseas for almost all of the previous AWB era so I was not sure how it worked back then.

Shinny

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2012
    Exactly.

I've said this before, but I think it needs repeating. Lots of O'malley's heat he is bringing down on us could just be rhetoric to raise his national profile for a 2016 Presidential run. He may not be as interested in an AWB as he appears. He could well be pandering to his base in clamoring publicly for an AWB, while in private working to make sure it doesn't pass so his name won't be associated with successful AWB legislation. O'Malley didn't get where he is at because he is dumb. Keep his email box filled as well as other elected officials and it will pay dividends.

Keep burning up the phone lines, and this legislation can very well be defeated. We have a pretty good track record these last few years.
    +1

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    As of right now, there are no actual proposals. Just rhetoric.
    Incidentally, this is how you know we're in far, far better shape than IL or NY. They'd be slamming a bill in our face ASAP if they thought it was a done deal. The fact that they are unwilling to commit the details to paper is telling, and suggests that they are still unsure what will pass.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    There is no way we can answer questions about the AWB because there's no text.

I think that Omalley is pushing, but at the same time, may be watching the fall out from New York.

He and Cumo could be in the primary in 2016. Cumo made his move, and Omalley has the luxery of waiting and watching.

annihilation-time

MOLON LABE
    Jun 14, 2010
    Hazzard County!
    There is no way we can answer questions about the AWB because there's no text.

I think that Omalley is pushing, but at the same time, may be watching the fall out from New York.

He and Cumo could be in the primary in 2016. Cumo made his move, and Omalley has the luxery of waiting and watching.

You're absolutely right, and I'm sure he's also watching how the issue of gun control effects the Obama presidency. O'Malley is a politician first, and a gun-grabber second. He won't commit political suicide.

sykesville

Ultimate Member
    Incidentally, this is how you know we're in far, far better shape than IL or NY. They'd be slamming a bill in our face ASAP if they thought it was a done deal. The fact that they are unwilling to commit the details to paper is telling, and suggests that they are still unsure what will pass.

I don't know about that. They could just be trying to stay under the radar a bit until they all of a sudden pop up and slam us fast and violently.

sykesville

Ultimate Member
    You're absolutely right, and I'm sure he's also watching how the issue of gun control effects the Obama presidency. O'Malley is a politician first, and a gun-grabber second. He won't commit political suicide.

Can't agree. He wants to show Obama what he can do for the Obama cause, even if Obama can't do it. That will give him more clout on the national stage. He gargles sperm.

annihilation-time

MOLON LABE
    Jun 14, 2010
    Hazzard County!
    Can't agree. He wants to show Obama what he can do for the Obama cause, even if Obama can't do it. That will give him more clout on the national stage. He gargles sperm.

Obama didn't start pushing his anti-gun agenda until after he was reelected. Just like O'Malley, Obama is a politician first. These guys care more about their political careers than ideology.

dav1d

Jan 20, 2013
    awb in MD? probably

I wrote to both our Senators and only Senator Cardin responded (or more likely one of his staff). He acknowledges the 2A but because the Supreme Court was weak on its ruling, he and other legislators jump on that to limit the types of firearms that are legal. I am in the 6th district and Rep. Bartlett was just ousted and the House of Rep. website doesn't have a contact for Rep. Delaney yet, which is totally unacceptable; but whatever.

In response to the original post, aside from the lower, I would also get all the other items that must be on ur firearm to be considered an "AW" -- under their definition. For example (if these are things you want), a flash hider, an adjustable stock, mags over 10 rounds (place an order at least, the ban would be against the manufacture date), ur desired barrel in case u want something short and because they might not allow threaded barrels, etc.

Here's Senator Cardin's response to my letter:
    "Thank you for contacting me and expressing your concerns about gun control.

In June 2008 the Supreme Court decided the case of District of Columbia v. Heller. The Court held that the Second Amendment protects an individual rather than a collective right to possess a firearm. The Court also held that this Second Amendment right is not unlimited, and it is not a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner for any purpose.

I support the right of law-abiding citizens to own and use firearms. During my time in both the House and Senate, I have supported legislation that balances these strong Constitutional rights with responsibilities, through reasonable, common sense regulations. Sensible gun safety laws and vigorous enforcement of those laws are necessary to keep firearms out of the hands of criminals, terrorists and the mentally ill.

Several bills relating to firearms have been introduced and referred to the Senate Judiciary Committee. Should this legislation be reported out of Committee and reach the floor, I will take your views into consideration."

Cmoney

Nov 1, 2012
    A federal ban seems to be dead at this point.

But I saw on Rep. McDermott's notes that he believes we are in for a difficult fight to stop an AWB on the state level. I'm inclined to agree seeing as anti-gun state legislators didn't even meet with MSI.

Dave

Ultimate Member
    Jul 10, 2008
    Gamber, Marylanistan
    fed ban won't be happening, but that's why I'm assuming this is in the MD 2A board and not in the national. I still think the OP has a good questions, but again, it does all depend how the MD bill will be written

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    All the more reason to contact your local reps where your voice counts strongly!

We beat the MD gas tax increase last year and general MD sales tax extension to all service (plumbing, electrician, car repair etc)

We can beat this too, if you help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom