Powder choices CFE 223 or H335 for the AR?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shocker998md

Ultimate Member
    May 29, 2009
    Snow Hill MD
    I like 335 because it's cheaper where im at and uses less powder for my 55 fmj plinking loads.

They both meter well in my 550b and out of my spr will shoot under an inch at 100.

Either will work

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    H335 is a great powder in 223 all the way up to 69gr bullets. Its usually cheaper than most other powders and even during the powder shortage i could still find it.

Welder84

Aug 16, 2016
    Central Maryland
    I used H335 for two years, but this year I have been using CFE223. I have not noticed a difference in accuracy. I have noticed it does seem to leave less dirt in the gun. I was wondering what others have experienced?

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I used H335 for two years, but this year I have been using CFE223. I have not noticed a difference in accuracy. I have noticed it does seem to leave less dirt in the gun. I was wondering what others have experienced?

Do you find the grain sizes of those two powders to be the same?

My RCBS Uni-Flow powder measure has a hard time with all, but the finest of powders.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    The two powders seem very similar. I use a lee auto drum, and it throws 25g of CFE 223 or H335 with no set up change.

Ya gotta like that.

Always good to have a back up powder in mind.

There was a time, in the not too distant past, when even the most common of powders weren't available.

Thanks.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Used to use 25gr of H335 for my bulk 55gr FMJ loads, now use 27gr of CFE223. Both produce good accuracy, but CFE is definitely cleaner and slower, can turn the gas block adjustment down a bit with it, and get a little better velocity with an ideal load, seems fairly insensitive to temp and round count too.

offthepaper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 7, 2007
    Harford County
    H335 works very well in my AR's.
    For plinking ammo, 55gr fmjbt over 25 gr of H335.
    Always gives me good results. My 30-30 also shoots well with it.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Ya gotta like that.

Always good to have a back up powder in mind.

There was a time, in the not too distant past, when even the most common of powders weren't available.

Thanks.

Or better yet, several.

Been a project of mine since the last powder shortage to work up viable loads with multiple powders for .223. Not only was my long favored H335 very hard to find, but in terms of viable replacement powder, it was darned near impossible for a while there to find the same replacement powder twice. The good news is that decent .223 loads can be had over a pretty wide range of the burn chart. Not all are optimal necessarily, but options can at least keep you shooting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom