• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joecool24

Nov 13, 2014
    Harford county
    My father bought a lower reciver pre ban and built the rifle with a non HBAR. Is he allowed to gift the rifle to me? If been looking around for a clear answer but can seem to pin point it. My hunch is that MD say no go.

To my understanding is that if my dad would gift me is other pre ban stripped lower reciver to me I would have to build it with the post ban spec's

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    Unfortunately the only way you will ever get that rifle legally is though inharitance.

Joecool24

Nov 13, 2014
    Harford county
    Well that might not be out of the cards. Old lady and I and thinking about making the switch. Correct me if I'm wrong please but if it so happens I have to move back to MD the rifle would not be allowed to come back with me?

songlaw

Aug 2, 2017
    Clarksville
    Would his father have been allowed to give him the rifle pre-ban, without any paperwork? Or would there have been some required transfer papers back then?

songlaw

Aug 2, 2017
    Clarksville
    Sorry for the follow up.

he still would have to have done a 77r at a MSP barracks.

Swinokur, I ask only because I had a S&W .357 about 35 years ago (with with I stopped a would-be robber, before someone broke into my store and stole the damn gun @30 years ago).

I was without a firearm for about 30 years, and only became a gun-owner again within the last year or so, and am not too familiar with the laws back then.

Now, having said that, IF his father brought that rifle, pre-ban, into MD from another state with little or no restrictions, would his father have had to submit the same Form 77R upon bringing it into MD?

AND, IF his father "gave" him the gun in VA (or some other state with little or no restrictions), would there have been any paper trail?

If the father gave him the gun in VA, so that the gun belonged to the son, but the father had possession and use of it, and then they moved into MD (thus, the transfer did not occur in MD), would there have been a duty for the son to register the weapon in MD, pre-ban?

***I am squeaky clean, and I have a CCW permit and a H-bar LWRC, and so I am not trying to circumvent the law. I am just trying to pick up some knowledge.

Thanks.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Swinokur, I ask only because I had a S&W .357 about 35 years ago (with with I stopped a would-be robber, before someone broke into my store and stole the damn gun @30 years ago).

I was without a firearm for about 30 years, and only became a gun-owner again within the last year or so, and am not too familiar with the laws back then.

Now, having said that, IF his father brought that rifle, pre-ban, into MD from another state with little or no restrictions, would his father have had to submit the same Form 77R upon bringing it into MD?

NO

AND, IF his father "gave" him the gun in VA (or some other state with little or no restrictions), would there have been any paper trail?

NO

If the father gave him the gun in VA, so that the gun belonged to the son, but the father had possession and use of it, and then they moved into MD (thus, the transfer did not occur in MD), would there have been a duty for the son to register the weapon in MD, pre-ban?

NO

***I am squeaky clean, and I have a CCW permit and a H-bar LWRC, and so I am not trying to circumvent the law. I am just trying to pick up some knowledge.

Thanks.

IANAL

songlaw

Aug 2, 2017
    Clarksville
    Swinokur, IAAL. Not my area of practice (Took me a while to figure out "IANAL"). It just seemed to me that you knew stuff, so I asked, rather than having to do research.

I was just trying to figure out how the State would be able to get convictions, if they charged under the above sets of facts.

Thanks.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    no problem, but the reason I add a disqualifier

1. sometimes I'm wrong.
    2. don't use posts here as a substitute for your own research in case you do run into an assue

I don't know why or how the state would charge you

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

Only if father lived in that other state. He should not have been able to buy it in another state, if he was an MD resident

IF, both were VA residents at the time.

As long as they moved here before 10/1/13. If the person,
    with the rifle moved after that date, they would have to register it.

Thanks.

Slight mods

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom