Pre-purchase hunting rifle research--suggestions?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • duckslayer56

Mar 8, 2014
    Odenton
    agreed, I shot mine without a limbsaver for a long time. After a box and a half of ammo and a sore shoulder I finally went down and got one. I can shoot it all day now. They are definitely worth the 30 bucks.

quantum

Apr 5, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    I had one of the Weatherby's in 300 win mag and it was pretty nice for it price. Action was real smooth and easy to clean. Replaced the junk stock pad with a limbsaver. If you don't care at all about after market upgrades it's not a bad choice.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    My cousin in Canada took a big bull moose with a .22-250.

A Møøse once bit my sister ...

No realli! She was Karving her initials on the møøse with the sharpened end of an interspace tøøthbrush given her by Svenge - her brother-in-law - an Oslo dentist and star of many Norwegian møvies: "The Høt Hands of an Oslo Dentist", "Fillings of Passion", "The Huge Mølars of Horst Nordfink".

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County

No realli! She was Karving her initials on the møøse with the sharpened end of an interspace tøøthbrush given her by Svenge - her brother-in-law - an Oslo dentist and star of many Norwegian møvies: "The Høt Hands of an Oslo Dentist", "Fillings of Passion", "The Huge Mølars of Horst Nordfink".

You can make fun but it is 100% true. Not saying it was a good idea to attempt but with good shot placement it will put one down.

thai

May 8, 2013
    You can make fun but it is 100% true. Not saying it was a good idea to attempt but with good shot placement it will put one down.

Is it legal up there to shoot a moose with a 22-250?
    To me it seems your brother just happened upon a mose while coyote hunting and saw a moose and was tempted to shoot the moose. Was it moose season?

I question the motive only because sometimes people who are new to hunting comes here for advice, but if we regale them with these stories that appear unethical we may be doing them a disservice and depending on how much of a novice they are, they may believe that either this caliber is perfectly fine for everything or hunting laws are purely discretionary.

Last edited:

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    A lot of my friends out west have switched to the 7-08. Very capable and easier on them. Sako or Tika would be a good choice. Also a CZ model 550 is hard to beat and well within your price range. Not sure about the weight.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    Is it legal up there to shoot a moose with a 22-250?
    To me it seems your brother just happened upon a mose while coyote hunting and saw a moose and was tempted to shoot the moose. Was it moose season?

I question the motive only because sometimes people who are new to hunting comes here for advice, but if we regale them with these stories that appear unethical we may be doing them a disservice and depending on how much of a novice they are, they may believe that either this caliber is perfectly fine for everything or hunting laws are purely discretionary.

The moose was killed because it was repeatedly destroying the fences on their farm. I believe that caliber is legal in that part of Canada. He knew that the round was light for moose but it's what he had when he had an opportunity to take it down.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County

Am I the only one that got the Monty Python reference?

Remedial education for you all!!! :lol2::lol2:

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    definitely with ya on the trade-off. stand or blind hunting, a heavy rifle ain't no thang. i've taken my pig of a .308 down to texas simply because it's all blinds on feed routes. nothing too tough about sitting and waiting. :P

if i'm humpin it, such as the rockies for elk, make mine a lightweight non-magnum any day of the week.

I agree...if I'm carrying a rifle for a length of time, I want it light with a pencil barrel. We all know they pencil barrels can't shoot at all.

Will have to say that I'm very intrigued with the 7mm-08....might be one size fits all hunting rifle. Either build my own or go with a tikka, love the one I have now.

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    22-250 is not legal in Quebec:
    http://www.mddep.gouv.qc.ca/faune/reglementation-en/chasse/armes/armes-munitions.htm
    Subsistence hunters may be exempt, I am not sure.

Personally I would not use less than .300 Magnum on moose. While hunting in Quebec some years ago I saw a small bull in the back of a Ford F-150. The springs were straining. Plus we were hunting hunting in a Zec where you literally had to swim through the primary pine tree growth. I hunted an edge of a stream. I could hear animals passing with-in 20 yards but could not see them. Could have been anything: deer, bear, moose or wolf. Still do not know what I was hearing. I would not use a light rifle.

I know one man, a very experienced hunter, that lost a moose when hit with a 8MM mauser. You can't kill them too dead.

Good luck

Jerry

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    Interestingly enough on pages 56 to 58 of Nosler's Reloading Guide #6 tells of John A. Noslers run in with a 'bullet resistant' moose that took 5-6 shots from a .300 H&H on the shoulder before killing it. The bullets failed to penetrate the mud coated hide. That hunt caused him to create the Partition bullet. Use what you like caliber and bullet.

Good luck

Jerry

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    Maybe stop shooting in the scapula and try for the heart or lungs instead.

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Maybe stop shooting in the scapula and try for the heart or lungs instead.

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

YUP!

I've never understood shoulder shots.

Why anyone would go for a dense meat and bone shot on purpose is beyond me.

It's heart and lungs or nothing at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom