• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Travis Bickle

Jul 13, 2012
    MoCo
    First let me say that besides budget rimfire scopes, I have almost no experience with scopes so I have no idea what Im doing. Ill be shooting an 20" ar15 with a bipod at a distance of 100 yards (because thats how long my range is) At 100 yards I would like to be able to hit targets the size of 12 gauge shotgun shells with consistency. Being able to see the bullet holes on a regular paper target at 100 yards would also be a huge plus for me. Since this rifle will be shot with a bipod pretty much 100% of the time weight and size do not matter to me. I have a max budget of $300. Right now Im leaning towards this mueller 8x32
    http://www.opticsplanet.com/mueller-optics-8-32x44mm-side-focus-fogproof-target-riflescope.html

Although I really dont know how much magnification I need I dont see how you could ever have too much. Can anyone point me in another direction or give me some advice on the minimum magnification I will need to do what I want?

Travis Bickle

Jul 13, 2012
    MoCo
    Nikon P223 is hard to beat for the money. The 3x9 would work for your use.

I can see shotgun shell size targets at 100 yards with my tasco 9x, but I cant really make out bullet holes in paper. Through the clearer glass of a nikon at the same magnification can you see bullet holes in a paper target at 100 yards?

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Based on your budget and what you're asking for, you're stuck with high-magnification, low-quality glass unless you buy used. Avoid Chinese if at all possible. Ammo will be more important for your intended task. Quality match-grade ammo is a must (i.e. 69gr HPBT Sierra Match King).

Pmbspyder

Platinum Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    I can see shotgun shell size targets at 100 yards with my tasco 9x, but I cant really make out bullet holes in paper. Through the clearer glass of a nikon at the same magnification can you see bullet holes in a paper target at 100 yards?

No. You will need some serious power to see the bullet holes at 100yds. I would go with a decent 3-9 or the fixed 8x you listed and get a cheap spotting scope...

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll

Tasco is not a yardstick by which to judge. Lower-magnification, high-quality glass will let you discern fine details much better than higher-magnification, low-rent glass. It's not more magnification that you need. It's clarity, brightness, and lack of distortion.

Travis Bickle

Jul 13, 2012
    MoCo
    Tasco is not a yardstick by which to judge. Lower-magnification, high-quality glass will let you discern fine details much better than higher-magnification, low-rent glass. It's not more magnification that you need. It's clarity, brightness, and lack of distortion.

Thats what Ive been reading everywhere. But having never looked through any better glass Im hesitant to lay down the money without being really sure that the scope is going to work for me. Ive read a lot of great things about the swfa super sniper fixed 10x scope, I would of bought one by now but im unsure if it will be enough magnification for what I want to do.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co

The Nikon p-series is good glass. Not their top shelf glass, but way better than a tasco. They also make a 4-12x P223 now.

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Thats what Ive been reading everywhere. But having never looked through any better glass Im hesitant to lay down the money without being really sure that the scope is going to work for me. Ive read a lot of great things about the swfa super sniper fixed 10x scope, I would of bought one by now but im unsure if it will be enough magnification for what I want to do.

Let me put it this way. Trijicon uses very good glass in their ACOGs and scopes. Not great but still very good. If you're used to looking through tacklebox-grade scopes (Tasco) and look through a Trijcon, then you'll need a moment to pick your jaw up off the ground. The difference is profound. The view is bright and very sharp.

Keep in mind that the more magnification you have, then the more critical it is that the rifle be perfectly still and that the scope has high-end glass. Otherwise, it's a pointless waste of money. It's generally a fool's errand to seek high magnification above all else.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Never heard a bad thing about the super snipers. Only downside is the fixed magnification. For the price they are almost impossible to beat tho.

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Agreed. Can't have it all for $300. Major tradeoffs are a given. In the OP's case, he's probably best off sacrificing all-around usefulness for something that's optimized for one task.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    First let me say that besides budget rimfire scopes, I have almost no experience with scopes so I have no idea what Im doing. Ill be shooting an 20" ar15 with a bipod at a distance of 100 yards (because thats how long my range is) At 100 yards I would like to be able to hit targets the size of 12 gauge shotgun shells with consistency. Being able to see the bullet holes on a regular paper target at 100 yards would also be a huge plus for me. Since this rifle will be shot with a bipod pretty much 100% of the time weight and size do not matter to me. I have a max budget of $300. Right now Im leaning towards this mueller 8x32
    http://www.opticsplanet.com/mueller-optics-8-32x44mm-side-focus-fogproof-target-riflescope.html

Although I really dont know how much magnification I need I dont see how you could ever have too much. Can anyone point me in another direction or give me some advice on the minimum magnification I will need to do what I want?

www.midwayusa.com/product/456482/bs...focal-mrad-reticle-matte?productnumber=456482

This scope is the biggest bargain going under $300. I promise you won't find any other scope at this price range with these features and good glass.

People reviewing say stuff like this typically: "I wish I had one of these for every one of my rifles."

Technical Information

Tube Diameter: 30mm
    Adjustment Click Value: 1/10 MIL
    Adjustment Type: Click
    Exposed Turrets: Yes
    Finger Adjustable Turrets: Yes
    Turrets Resettable to Zero: Yes
    Zero Stop: No
    Turret Height: Medium
    Fast Focus Eyepiece: Yes
    Lens Coating: Fully multi-coated
    Warranty: Limited lifetime factory warranty
    Rings Included: No
    Sunshade Included: Yes
    Sunshade Length: 3"
    Lens Covers Included: Yes, bikini-style
    Power Variability: Variable
    Min power: 4x
    Max power: 14x
    Reticle Construction: Glass etched
    Reticle: MRAD
    Illuminated Reticle: No
    Holdover reticle: No
    Reticle Focal Plane Location: 1st
    Parallax Adjustment: Side focus
    Finish: Matte
    Water/Fogproof: Yes
    Shockproof: Yes
    Airgun Rated: No
    Objective Bell Diameter: 51mm
    Ocular Bell Diameter: 43mm
    Eye Relief: 3.5"
    Max Internal Adjustment:

Elevation: 26.5 MILs
    Windage: 23.5 MILs

Exit Pupil Diameter: 11mm-3.14mm

Field of View at 100 Yards:
    27.5' @ 4x
    7.9' @ 14x

Image 1: Nighttime, Portsmouth, cell phone picture at 4x mag, distance to target apx .3-.4 mile ranging using google maps (edited for flawed memory, ranging with scope shows 550 yards to banners).
    Image 2: 4x magnification, don't have the distance (but using the scope for ranging on truck about 325-350 yards)
    Image 3: 14x magnification, don't have the distance (but using the scope for ranging on truck about 325-350 yards)

Ford 150 is about 6 feet tall, and 6 mils in height in the scope. 2 yards x 1000 / 6 mils = 333 yards

Attachments

• IMAG0051.jpg
      IMAG0051.jpg
      29.9 KB · Views: 159
    • BSA_FFP_6.jpg
      BSA_FFP_6.jpg
      37.6 KB · Views: 160
    • BSA_FFP_8.jpg
      BSA_FFP_8.jpg
      29.8 KB · Views: 162

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I placed on the top 15 at a precision tactical match against some of the top shooters in this part of the country using my 3-gun AR and one of these BSA 4-14x44 scopes from Midway USA. In fact top 3Gun Nation pro LEO Greg Jordan using a .308 McMillian Rem 700 w/NF scope only outpointed me by 5 points each on 2 of the 4 stages (he finished 2nd individual and 1st in team). And I only had the chance to sight in the scope at 100y, yet the first focal plane reticle at 10x allowed me to successfully engage steel targets out to 270y. I like the scope so much that when I built by own .308 bolt sniper rifle I moved the scope over to that.
    For sure the scope is not a Night Force, Zeiss, Swarovski, or Leupold, but you aren't paying $2000 for it either. For $249 you get similar features.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    I placed on the top 15 at a precision tactical match against some of the top shooters in this part of the country using my 3-gun AR and one of these BSA 4-14x44 scopes from Midway USA. In fact top 3Gun Nation pro LEO Greg Jordan using a .308 McMillian Rem 700 w/NF scope only outpointed me by 5 points each on 2 of the 4 stages (he finished 2nd individual and 1st in team). And I only had the chance to sight in the scope at 100y, yet the first focal plane reticle at 10x allowed me to successfully engage steel targets out to 270y. I like the scope so much that when I built by own .308 bolt sniper rifle I moved the scope over to that.
    For sure the scope is not a Night Force, Zeiss, Swarovski, or Leupold, but you aren't paying $2000 for it either. For $249 you get similar features.

That's awesome to hear... sometimes I wonder if I am the only one thinking that this scope rocks for what it is! I have the Bushnell/Horus HDMR as well as the BSA, and honestly, the Bushnell/Horus HDMR is the scope, but it's not $600 better, and most certainly is not $1200 better.

My other decent glass including Nikon Monarch, Nikon M-223, Bushnell, etc $300-600 scopes aren't in the same league as the BSA 4-14x, it's crazy.

Thanks for confirming that I am in fact not completely crazy!

Balzer94

Feb 27, 2011
    I have a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 I'm trying to sell. With weaver 6 screw at tactical rings. I would like 200 for it. But I'm willing to take someone else's offer. He has offered $150. It is a very good scope. Clear as day well after the sun has started to fall for the night. Crystal clear image and holds zero really well.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    I have a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 I'm trying to sell. With weaver 6 screw at tactical rings. I would like 200 for it. But I'm willing to take someone else's offer. He has offered $150. It is a very good scope. Clear as day well after the sun has started to fall for the night. Crystal clear image and holds zero really well.

I also have one I'm going to unload; they are a pretty nice scope for the price. Replaced it w/ a Nikon M-223 3-12x. The tubes on the two are similar, but the M series definitely has better glass, erectors, and turrets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom