• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    What’s your preferred light and mount combo? Mossy 500
    Across my pump guns, I've run the Surefire and Streamlight integrated light handguards, plus a few more ad-hoc setups using MLOK slots and Scout-style lights with wired pads. Here are some thoughts:

I hated the ad-hoc setups with scout lights. Controls were easy with the pressure pad, but adding weight to the pump didn't seem very ergonomic to me. The wiring was also kind of a mess, but you can make it work with clever zip-tie use. Some platforms like the Benelli Nova won't have an option for anything else, but it's my least favorite solution.

The Surefire and Streamlight handguards are better. The newest-version Surefire handguard is, IMHO, the hands-down winner. It is much slimmer where you're putting your hand, has a lock-out switch, better controls (IMHO), etc. The Streamlight is a bit brighter, but the design of the handguard is a lot less comfortable for shooting.

None of this is to say I think the Streamlight is unacceptable, it just isn't my first choice if the Surefire is in play. If the Surefire is too expensive, the Streamlight is a good runner-up for a lot less money.

Sam Salvati

blacksmith
    Apr 22, 2013
    Finksburg
    Across my pump guns, I've run the Surefire and Streamlight integrated light handguards, plus a few more ad-hoc setups using MLOK slots and Scout-style lights with wired pads. Here are some thoughts:

I hated the ad-hoc setups with scout lights. Controls were easy with the pressure pad, but adding weight to the pump didn't seem very ergonomic to me. The wiring was also kind of a mess, but you can make it work with clever zip-tie use. Some platforms like the Benelli Nova won't have an option for anything else, but it's my least favorite solution.

The Surefire and Streamlight handguards are better. The newest-version Surefire handguard is, IMHO, the hands-down winner. It is much slimmer where you're putting your hand, has a lock-out switch, better controls (IMHO), etc. The Streamlight is a bit brighter, but the design of the handguard is a lot less comfortable for shooting.

None of this is to say I think the Streamlight is unacceptable, it just isn't my first choice if the Surefire is in play. If the Surefire is too expensive, the Streamlight is a good runner-up for a lot less money.

I just couldn’t bring myself to $$ at the integral lights. Went to a bunch of stores Not a single one had any options let alone a top rail for americas most popular shotgun lol. Wanted to put my hands on one of the integral pump-lights but. Ended up with an integral barrel clamp light sling combo.

Now I’m regretting after your post thanks haha

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    1st choice surefire integrated
    2nd choice stream light integrated

Especially on a pump gun. But on any shotties, it is just better in every way. They are expensive because. they are worth it.

I tried the separate mount thing. It isn't worth it. Drop the coin and just get one.

Try the used market for cheaper prices

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    To quote Clint Smith, “it’s your house you should know where the light switch is, use it”. Or words to that affect. Keep a hand held in case of power failure.

Do you really want to end up pointing a loaded shot gun at a family member after just being woke up? There are pros and cons to either way. I’m not doing room clearing, so I have decided not to use a weapons mounted light. If I do have to check a noise, I’ll use a light and handgun.

One place a light on the shotgun or rifle makes sense is if you’re rural and have livestock to look after.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I just couldn’t bring myself to $$ at the integral lights. Went to a bunch of stores Not a single one had any options let alone a top rail for americas most popular shotgun lol. Wanted to put my hands on one of the integral pump-lights but. Ended up with an integral barrel clamp light sling combo.
    I mean, you can afford what you can afford. Me posting a long screed about how a $350 Surefire is teh bestest isn't gonna matter a bit if you don't have $350. The problem with a barrel clamp light on a pump is that it's completely useless for momentary due to having to move your hand back every time you pump. If you can live without momentary, it's probably adequate (so long as it stays together under recoil, which many of these cheaper solutions have issues with).

The SL is really not so terribly expensive in the grand scheme of things, and I'd suggest it's probably the best $120 you'll spend on a shotgun you think you might use in the dark.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom