• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Perhaps I've lived in the burbs long enough that there are all kinds of folks of every creed and color who come in and out of the neighborhood that I don't really think twice about it, or at least my thoughts don't drift towards anything sinister. I tend to think about things with the most logical conclusion:

1. A person may have gotten lost and are just trying to turn around.
    2. A door-to-door solicitor who is in the neighborhood, just trying to do their job (if you have a "No Solicitors" sign, they may still have been trying to use your driveway to turn around.)
    3. A food delivery person who accidentally came to the wrong address.
    4. Private delivery person for Amazon
    5. Someone trying to visit someone for some reason and got lost
    6. Etc.

None of those things would have gotten me to the point where..."I should have shut and locked the door, armed myself and continue[d] to monitor from inside."

It's like the thread a couple of years back where some neighborhood Rambo in Edgewater came on here talking about door to door soliticitors trying to put something in his door, and going on about how, "The speed at which I moved was impressive. The rifle came off its rack, to my shoulder, I cleared the corner and it was leveled on the door, my finger on the bolt release. No further activity and after about 20 seconds at the ready, I approached the door at the low ready and saw the pair moving to the next door neighbor's house."

In Edgewater. Really?

In your case, this was actually someone you WANTED to come to your house.
    You nailed it on the head. What are people thinking, that life is like some movie? If you were a wanted person I could see being on edge but damn, shutting down the house and getting a gun because someone came in your driveway and exited the vehicle? Take a break from the MDS crime threads and get back to reality.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    You nailed it on the head. What are people thinking, that life is like some movie? If you were a wanted person I could see being on edge but damn, shutting down the house and getting a gun because someone came in your driveway and exited the vehicle? Take a break from the MDS crime threads and get back to reality.

Agreed but just like getting struck by lightning, it does happen. A woman in Ellicott City returned from the grocery store at 9:00 AM on a recent Saturday and a car with four people in it came up her driveway. She was robbed and had her car stolen in her own driveway in a nice, “safe” neighborhood. I think living your life expecting to be attacked is miserable. Somewhere there is a balance but finding it and maintaining it can be tricky.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Agreed but just like getting struck by lightning, it does happen. A woman in Ellicott City returned from the grocery store at 9:00 AM on a recent Saturday and a car with four people in it came up her driveway. She was robbed and had her car stolen in her own driveway in a nice, “safe” neighborhood. I think living your life expecting to be attacked is miserable. Somewhere there is a balance but finding it and maintaining it can be tricky.
    I used to get up out of bed, grab my pistol, and clear the house every time I heard this strange noise. It wasn't until I realized it was the ice maker dropping cubes in the tray that I relaxed.

I have too much stress already to worry about everything. Do I look out the window when the Ring cam goes off? Sure. Do I grab my gun and lock down the house? No.

Now if four dudes hopped out of the aforementioned vehicle dressed in skinny black jeans and hoodies, damn right I'm getting a gun. The reaction should mirror the action.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom