• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    With the right antenna 2M can go hundreds, if your standing on a mountain, or thousands of miles, if working satellites. This requires a good deal of practice and knowledge. I guess somebody could carry around one of those hand-held collapsible Yagi antennas in the trunk of the car.

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Antenna, antenna, antenna.
    I've had great luck with a roll up Slim Jim "Lader Line J-Pole" I bought mine with the 15' down-line feed permanently attached. You can get a bunch of how to videos online if you want to build your own. The big paperclips shown are intentional "weak Links" in the event of a tangle.
    For height you can rig some 2mm paracord the antenna itself unrolled, more 2nd paracord & a 4 oz fishing weight.
    If you want/need to be highly mobile this will be your best rig. You throw, or sling the weight over the tallest tree branch you can find, away from the trunk.
    Perfect? No. Best compromise option for portability & operating, Yes.

Attachments

• DSCF1780.JPG
      DSCF1780.JPG
      529.6 KB · Views: 46
    • DSCF1784.JPG
      DSCF1784.JPG
      485.4 KB · Views: 44
    Last edited:

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Daughter is just spreading her wings a little and I’m trying to be prepared. Just trying to come up with a setup where we could have a set of instructions for any given trip, a preprogrammed raid be able to throw an antenna into a tree in the right direction and try to give us a leg up.

I have my license, she does not yet.
    As mentioned before, get her anything but a baofeng. Icom, Kenwood, Yeasu, doesn't have to be current, and doesn't have to be dual band for what you want to do.
    Spare battery, and an alkaline battery pack with a fresh set of spare batteries on each (or every other trip). Get a "whip clip" to extend the portable antenna up in the air while traveling on foot. For a fixed position, any of the afore mentioned role up j-poles with about 10' - 15' of coax to get it in the air will work wonders.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom