• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GunnerGunz

Sunken Treasure
    Mar 2, 2010
    Reisterstown
    I loaded 48 (2 of the brass were bent and unusable) 22-250 cartridges today. First time for this caliber. One question I have is in 90% of the cartridges were within 3/100 inch COL. The other 10% varied by 12/100 inch COL. This is the first time using soft points and wondering if the soft lead made the difference?

Attachments

• DSCF2130.jpg
      DSCF2130.jpg
      82.9 KB · Views: 283

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    You should be measuring to the ogive, not the tip of the bullets... there is much potential variation in oal to the tip, especially with soft points. Get a comparator from Hornady or Sinclair and you will get much more consistent measurements..

A link to Midway... http://www.midwayusa.com/product/23...ad-bullet-comparator-basic-set-with-6-inserts

ETA - if you have some boolits left not loaded, measure a dozen of them and see what you find... ;)

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    You should be measuring to the ogive, not the tip of the bullets... there is much potential variation in oal to the tip, especially with soft points. Get a comparator from Hornady or Sinclair and you will get much more consistent measurements..

A link to Midway... http://www.midwayusa.com/product/23...ad-bullet-comparator-basic-set-with-6-inserts

ETA - if you have some boolits left not loaded, measure a dozen of them and see what you find... ;)

This ^^^ for more meaningful readings. Probably is just a tip variation.

tkd4life

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2010
    Southern Maryland

And it is also important to note that most good rifle seater dies apply the pressure to seat the bullet at the ogive and not the tip. This is to account for the varying types of tips you can have in the bullet industry like soft point lead, polymer, hollow point, etc. As everyone is saying, that is where you need to measure from.

GunnerGunz

Sunken Treasure
    Mar 2, 2010
    Reisterstown
    I ordered the comperator set from Amazon and will recheck measurements. I normally load FMJ bullets (were always good measurements) until I recently did the safe hunter course and plan on hunting in the near future. Hence reason for reloading soft points.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom