Preview of my upcoming book on Finnish Mosin-Nagant rifles and other Finnish weaponry

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • airbornetrooper

Nov 9, 2017
    VA
    Hi folks,

I've been on here for close to a decade (mostly lurking, but occasionally posting). I spent the last five years writing The Finnish Mosin-Nagant: Three Line Rifle to Ukko Pekka, my magnum opus on Finnish history and small arms collecting. It is now available for pre-order at the following link below if you are interested.

The Finnish Mosin-Nagant
    • The most comprehensive collection of information on Finnish sniper rifles ever assembled, featuring the m/27 PH, m/33, m/39 PH, m/39 SOV, m/39-44, and more!
    • Detailed descriptions and high quality color photographs of the rarest Mosin-Nagant variants such as the Finnish SAT m/91, Estonian Model 1935, and Polish Karabinek wz. 91/98/25
    • The revealing of the origin story and history of the Finnish m/91 B Barrels and their Belgian connection.
    • An examination of the heated rivalry between the Finnish Civil Guard’s m/28-30 rifle and the Finnish Army’s m/27, and how their fusion produced the m/39 rifle.
    • In depth photographs and historical information on the Mosin-Nagant .22 caliber training rifles used by the army.
    • Gorgeous photographs and information on the plethora of pistols used by Finland during World War II such as the Lahti L-35, Mauser C96, ČZ vz. 38, Polish FB Radom Ng 30, and FN High Power
    • An exploration into the Finnish capture, modification, and use of captured SVT-40 semi-automatic rifles.
    • Serial data and collecting information on every major Finnish Mosin-Nagant variant.
    • An exploration of the origins of the Mosin-Nagant rifle, its history, and its major users around the world over the last century.
    • The most in-depth look at Finnish Mosin-Nagant accessories and bayonets ever compiled.
    • High quality historical photographs from a variety of sources and Mosin-Nagant rifles from the finest collections.
    • The little-known story of the Finnish Mausers in 7.62x54mmR such as the m/30 and m/34
    All pre order copies will be signed by myself and will include a limited edition art print made from one of the original Bannerman's Catalog printing blocks. My publisher, Wet Dog Publications, is responsible for some of the finest firearms collecting books available (you may know him from his FN Pistols books). I do not think you will be disappointed. All pre orders are anticipated to ship before Christmas 2023.

Best regards,
    Matt (airbornetrooper)

Attachments

• POST 156 P2.jpg
      POST 156 P2.jpg
      182.5 KB · Views: 87
    • POST 153 P2.jpg
      POST 153 P2.jpg
      169.9 KB · Views: 92
    • POST 154 P2.jpg
      POST 154 P2.jpg
      167.6 KB · Views: 81
    • POST 154 P4.jpg
      POST 154 P4.jpg
      186.2 KB · Views: 83
    • POST 154 P5.jpg
      POST 154 P5.jpg
      174.6 KB · Views: 84

bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD
    How does this compare to Doug Bowser's books on similar subjects?

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    The off the cuff reply would be Doug’s is to kindergarten as Matt’s is to college level.
    The information, pictures, etc in the new book are all head and shoulders above Bowser’s
    …BUT…

There are a TON more known facts today than when Doug put out his book. He was trying to make intellectual connections from just looking at various examples of rifles he saw - because there wasn’t any source to research.

So I will say his book is just outdated. I own it and enjoyed the read. But now we know things and Matt spent years getting it into book form.

Last edited:

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Far from my area of interest, but it looks sufficiently spectacular that I couldn't resist!

Anyway, what's not to love about the Finns?

airbornetrooper

Nov 9, 2017
    VA
    Can’t wait! Ordered a few weeks ago :thumbsup:

Hit me up if/when you pass through Dc area again, sir!
    Thank you! I hope it meets your expectations! And yes, I most certainly will.
    Looks fantastic, I ordered one
    Thank you, it is much appreciated!
    I think that @h2u said it best below. Bowser's book is a product of its time (mid-1990s) when formalized collecting knowledge and the internet were in their infancy. I was able translate .a lot of Finnish sources, and work with some archives that other authors have not utilized yet. The only book (technically books) that I would compare it to is Palokangas' three-volume set, which is unfortunately mostly in Finnish.
    The off the cuff reply would be Doug’s is to kindergarten as Matt’s is to college level.
    The information, pictures, etc in the new book are all head and shoulders above Bowser’s
    …BUT…

There are a TON more known facts today than when Doug put out his book. He was trying to make intellectual connections from just looking at various examples of rifles he saw - because there wasn’t any source to research.

So I will say his book is just outdated. I own it and enjoyed the read. But now we know things and Matt spent years getting it into book form.
    Thank you my friend. Eventually we do have to meet each other formally and compare notes!
    Placed my order just now. Thanks!
    Much appreciated, thank you!
    Pre-ordered when Matt first put out the word months ago. A no-brainer for me!
    I hope that it meets your expectations. I believe we have a mutual friend in Alsky in PA.
    Just ordered... looking forward to it! Congratulations.
    Once again, thank you. The book was truly a labor of love and I spent far too long writing it.

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    Someone asked me what I wanted for Christmas, and I told them I wanted this book. So I'm pretty sure I have one coming. Can't wait!

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    I hope you sell every single one you print!! Putting a book together is no easy task. Congratulations to you sir!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom