• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Came in to possession of a 1903A3. It's literally BEAUTIFUL!!!

Marked U.S. REMINGTON 03-A3

Serial 3456XXX

Looks like it's never been shot. Any idea on a REASONABLE asking price should I decide to let it go. Not collector price although this thing looks like it's never been shot.

Finish is at least 95%

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    You need to post pics!
    Show any stock markings and any date on the front of the barrel
    There are a lot of repurposed drill rifles done by I think James river plus others. They had new barrels put on them
    They sold for $795 at the time
    AIM and some others had them
    Those are probably still about $800 or so
    Others can chime in

CasualObserver

Who Observes the Observer
    Apr 27, 2012
    Maryland Born Now in Vermont
    Melnic is right. Pics are a must. It could be a repurposed drill rifle, an Army Arsenal rebuilt, or maybe its a rare almost unissued original. I was in the market awhile back and looked at quite a few and I found that most in "it looks like it never has been shot" condition are either repurposed drill rifles that have been built recently or Army Arsenal rebuilt and never reissued. You can tell a lot though by the pics... barrel markings, Stock Cartouches, markings are the parts and if they are blued or parked.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I'll put some up tomorrow but what should I be looking for to see if it's a drill rifle? Rebuild? That type of stuff

CasualObserver

Who Observes the Observer
    Apr 27, 2012
    Maryland Born Now in Vermont
    There are a lot of things to look for. On a Remington 03A3 many of the parts will be marked with an R if all original. Some parts will be blued and some will be parkerized as well. If they are all parkerized, then it probably isn't all original and could be either refinished by bubba, refinished by an Army Arsenal, built from a drill rifle by a commercial company, ect. ect. So many things to look for. Have to really look at it and check reference books or sites like... http://m1903.com/

I don't profess to be an expert, but there are a lot of things to look at I discovered when I was in the market for one.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Pics will be coming tonight but here is what I do know after a little closer inspection.

The bottom of the stock has a "P" on it meaning that it was proof tested before leaving the factory. According to the above website 2 "P's" would be a sign of a complete rebuild from the factory. It DOES NOT have a second P stamped into the wood.

The front sight is stamped with a "R" and the barrel is stamped with a "RA" 2-43 coupled with the serial number makes it a Remington 1943 production.

It has "OG" stamped into the left side of the buttstock meaning it was an Odgen Arsenal. Also stamped in the stock is FJA meaning it was inspected by Lt. Col. Frank J. Atwood (NEW MANUFACTURE)

So all is kind of greek to me I hope this helps. Oh and it's fully parked

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    The recovered drill rifles are usually ceracoated (they won't take park anymore)

I believe the JRA ones were parkerized. They must have ground off the weld and then rewelded with something that will take the refinish. I do recall that the color is slightly off though.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    I believe the JRA ones were parkerized. They must have ground off the weld and then rewelded with something that will take the refinish. I do recall that the color is slightly off though.

the weld actually changes how the metal reacts with the parkerizing solution. You end up with different colors depending on how hot the metal got. It makes it really spotty and nasty looking. james river's are not parkerized. The color and texture are way off. They may not ceracoat, but they duracoat or some other finish.

Sounds like this rifle was re arsenalled and re parked (I've got one that fits this description). A lot of 1903a3's were refinished by the armories. A lot of the small parts were switched to a parked finish as time when on as well. Assuming his chamber is in the white, they could have just replaced the stock hardware with parkerized stuff. Is the bolt parked as well?

and one last thing......if it were greek to me the rifle would be black as opposed to normal park.....:>

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Arsenal Mark

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      52.9 KB · Views: 284

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    The comment "looks like it has never been shot" kind of stuck with me and why I was thinking repurposed drill rifle
    But what makes you think that?
    Or were you trying to say it looks "unissued"?

There are enough scratches in the photos that I would not have used those words.
    If you are interested in it shooting well, do you have a muzzle Gauge?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom