• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    Anyone have any issues with CCI 400 primers not firing?
    Was at the range today with one of my favorite AR's and had three misfires in a row. Took the ammo off the line and shot the next few dozen rounds of reloads that have federal primers without incident. Primer strikes were fine. I'm sure it was the primers not the gun.
    I keep all my primers and powders in a room that's air conditioned and the humidity never exceeds 50%. I've never had issue with "old" primers.
    Any thoughts or ideas?

jr355

Apr 21, 2014
    Fullerton md
    Just how (old) are they? Any chance some lube got on them during processing? Cases charged with powder? Break them down and check off the obvious culprits first. If you have more of that lot of primers consider just priming a few cases and firing them. It could just be a fluke or the lot is just starting to show it's age and you'll have to decide what to do with then. Good luck.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Anyone have any issues with CCI 400 primers not firing?
    Was at the range today with one of my favorite AR's and had three misfires in a row. Took the ammo off the line and shot the next few dozen rounds of reloads that have federal primers without incident. Primer strikes were fine. I'm sure it was the primers not the gun.
    I keep all my primers and powders in a room that's air conditioned and the humidity never exceeds 50%. I've never had issue with "old" primers.
    Any thoughts or ideas?

Were the CCI 400 rounds reloads as well? If they were, did you have to remove a crimp from the primer pockets?

I've heard of some instances where people have cut the crimp out with a primer reamer and oversized the pocket and wound up being able to set the primer to deep. Or, set it flush and when the firing pin hit it, it pushed the primer forward a hair. Just enough for it to not go bang.

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    Just how (old) are they? Any chance some lube got on them during processing? Cases charged with powder? Break them down and check off the obvious culprits first. If you have more of that lot of primers consider just priming a few cases and firing them. It could just be a fluke or the lot is just starting to show it's age and you'll have to decide what to do with then. Good luck.

Maybe a year to 18 months. If the cases had no powder, then I would have had squibs. THey did not fire at all.

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    Were the CCI 400 rounds reloads as well? If they were, did you have to remove a crimp from the primer pockets?

I've heard of some instances where people have cut the crimp out with a primer reamer and oversized the pocket and wound up being able to set the primer to deep. Or, set it flush and when the firing pin hit it, it pushed the primer forward a hair. Just enough for it to not go bang.

All were reloads. The primers were flush and the firing pin strike was more than enough to ignite them. See photos below.

Attachments

• 20160910_155917.jpg
      20160910_155917.jpg
      21.4 KB · Views: 261
    • 20160910_155930.jpg
      20160910_155930.jpg
      23 KB · Views: 271
    • 20160910_155939.jpg
      20160910_155939.jpg
      21.7 KB · Views: 269

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Cci400's are all I have used and never had a problem with them. Probably gone through at least a couple thousand with no problem. I would contact Cci with the lot number and see what they say.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I am going with primers not fully seated... it's the only real logical answer. I highly doubt the primers were 'bad'.

Did you remove the crimp on those cases before reloading? If so, how?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If they are not seated, trying them again should fire them.

First hit seats them, second hit fires them.

but they have pretty good firing pin dents, so they should have gone off.

Do you have any more of that lot or package? If so, look at them to see if anything is wrong.

And contact CCI.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC

Do you have any more of that lot or package? If so, look at them to see if anything is wrong.

And contact CCI.

This.

I have had issues with not seating my primers fully in my .38 Special loads. A second go 'round fires them just fine.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co

And contact CCI.
    Agreed, fire them again and see if they'll fire.. that is a not fully seated primer. I have seen this on a few of my loads when removing crimps (probably inadequately and the primer was tight, felt like it was bottomed out, but... some weren't) and not getting the primers fully seated... learned my lesson, now all my primers are a few thou below flush and I have had no problems since. Most of those rounds were rechambered and went off the second time... or the third (it was easier then pulling the loaded rounds... LMAO)

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    Primers are fully seated. Mil crimps are reamed out and no change on depth. There was definitely something wrong with the primers.
    I seem to have my answer. Just a bad or contaminated batch of primers. I bought these at Dulles gun show...
    Thanks for the conjecture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom