• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    Hello all,

The PDF with the DC permit has no margin on the left or the top. As a result, when I try to print it, the top and left are cut off of the resulting printout. I sent them an email asking them to center it or do anything else, but heard crickets. Thoughts?

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    Try printing at 98% scale.
    Many printers/fax have about 2% enlargement to avoid printing paper edge lines.

Just a thought.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    sometimes print the PDF to PDF helps. Or Screen Shot it and print the screenshot to PDF.

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    "Scale To Fit" using the Preview App for the PDF on a Mac worked fine for me. Printed both sides and put them together.

Then put them in a self-seal laminating pouch for wallet carry.

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    Try printing at 98% scale.
    Many printers/fax have about 2% enlargement to avoid printing paper edge lines.

Just a thought.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
    Yup - tried this. It reduced from the bottom right, not top left so same problem.

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    Yup - tried this. It reduced from the bottom right, not top left so same problem.
    Copy and paste the image in the PDF into another app like Microsoft Word. You can then place the image into the printable area of the page without issue.

EDIT: Just saw you resolved it. Glad to hear.

jcarte29

Aug 29, 2022
    Charlotte, NC
    I'm bumping this thread but with a slight twist.

How is everyone keeping them stored digitally on a smartphone? In pictures? PDF App? Apple Wallet? (Or equivalent for those with Google phones) I was hoping there would be some easy conversion to keeping it in my Apple Wallet for access.

I still plan to print and laminate it as a back up measure, but have a convenient copy on my iPhone as they apparently intend us to have (Or just saving money on printing them out, who knows)

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region

How is everyone keeping them stored digitally on a smartphone? In pictures? PDF App? Apple Wallet? (Or equivalent for those with Google phones) I was hoping there would be some easy conversion to keeping it in my Apple Wallet for access.

I still plan to print and laminate it as a back up measure, but have a convenient copy on my iPhone as they apparently intend us to have (Or just saving money on printing them out, who knows)
    In addition to the printed/laminated "card" I carry, I have the PDF stored in a couple places on my iPhone:

Files App (on iCloud Drive)
    Google Drive

You could even make the image your lock screen background if you want to. Someone I know did that on their phone for carry purposes.

Personally, I don't like the idea of handing my unlocked phone to a police officer for them to examine a document. I consider the PDF's on my phone to be a backup to my printed/laminated copy which I always carry.

jcarte29

Aug 29, 2022
    Charlotte, NC
    In addition to the printed/laminated "card" I carry, I have the PDF stored in a couple places on my iPhone:

Files App (on iCloud Drive)
    Google Drive

You could even make the image your lock screen background if you want to. Someone I know did that on their phone for carry purposes.

Personally, I don't like the idea of handing my unlocked phone to a police officer for them to examine a document. I consider the PDF's on my phone to be a backup to my printed/laminated copy which I always carry.

Quality suggestions and excellent point about handing over an unlocked phone to LEO. Love the lock screen idea!

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air

I am not storing mine on my phone for 2 reasons:

1) I can't guarantee that it will be charged/functional/not broken when I need it.
    2) Don't like giving an unlocked phone to a police officer.

Having a simple printed & laminated card in my wallet is perfect.

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    Quality suggestions and excellent point about handing over an unlocked phone to LEO. Love the lock screen idea!
    Thanks! I'm sure this move to digital "cards" is a cost-cutting measure by MPD, but part of me also wonders if it was implemented so that MPD officers could get easier access to phones when detaining someone for investigation, or pursuant to making an arrest. When you hand that unlocked device over to an officer for them to see your digital "card", it becomes a consensual search of your property. You could argue an unlawful seizure in Court later on, but the horse is already out of the barn.

Putting your card(s) on the lock screen reduces the risk of this happening, but you could still potentially be handing them your device for examination or seizure. I'd be concerned about any waiver of rights by doing that. That's why I carry the printed/laminated card as my primary.

NOTE: When carrying, DC requires that you carry your CCW Card + Firearm Registration Card specific to that firearm (if you have more than one firearm, make sure it's the correct one), so you'd have to have both cards on your lock screen (and/or phone) if you went this route.

jcarte29

Aug 29, 2022
    Charlotte, NC
    Thanks! I'm sure this move to digital "cards" is a cost-cutting measure by MPD, but part of me also wonders if it was implemented so that MPD officers could get easier access to phones when detaining someone for investigation, or pursuant to making an arrest. When you hand that unlocked device over to an officer for them to see your digital "card", it becomes a consensual search of your property. You could argue an unlawful seizure in Court later on, but the horse is already out of the barn.

Putting your card(s) on the lock screen reduces the risk of this happening, but you could still potentially be handing them your device for examination or seizure. I'd be concerned about any waiver of rights by doing that. That's why I carry the printed/laminated card as my primary.

NOTE: When carrying, DC requires that you carry your CCW Card + Firearm Registration Card specific to that firearm (if you have more than one firearm, make sure it's the correct one), so you'd have to have both cards on your lock screen (and/or phone) if you went this route.

Yup. I received MPD's email with my CCW and my (two) Reg cards couple days ago. Very impressed as it was only 50 days after submitting the application up at MPD. My work sends me to VA/MD and places further north quite a bit, so it was important to me to have permits for a state (MD) and a district (DC) that don't recognize my NC permit (For us it's a Concealed Handgun Permit, as we are permitless open carry). All 3 in my possession now (Well, waiting for the MD permit in the USPS, it was approved 11/1).

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    Yup. I received MPD's email with my CCW and my (two) Reg cards couple days ago. Very impressed as it was only 50 days after submitting the application up at MPD. My work sends me to VA/MD and places further north quite a bit, so it was important to me to have permits for a state (MD) and a district (DC) that don't recognize my NC permit (For us it's a Concealed Handgun Permit, as we are permitless open carry). All 3 in my possession now (Well, waiting for the MD permit in the USPS, it was approved 11/1).
    Congrats! Makes sense.

One of the benefits of the repeal of DC's 20 Round Carry Rule is that you can now carry both firearms at the same time with as many 10 Round Magazines as you want to.

jcarte29

Aug 29, 2022
    Charlotte, NC
    Congrats! Makes sense.

One of the benefits of the repeal of DC's 20 Round Carry Rule is that you can now carry both firearms at the same time with as many 10 Round Magazines as you want to.

And a final "news alert," my MD permit arrived in the USPS today. I was very happy to hear about the repeal of the 20 round carry rule, that was repealed, while I was in DC submitting my DC application! (Mid Sept). So that was good timing :D
    And, tbh, I ordered 10 round magazines specifically for my "Northeastern travels."

Nowhere else is it necessary. Getting rid of those infringements and the ban on DC metro would be nice to see through now (There's definitely lawsuits in circulation on both of those)

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    And a final "news alert," my MD permit arrived in the USPS today. I was very happy to hear about the repeal of the 20 round carry rule, that was repealed, while I was in DC submitting my DC application! (Mid Sept). So that was good timing :D
    And, tbh, I ordered 10 round magazines specifically for my "Northeastern travels."

Nowhere else is it necessary. Getting rid of those infringements and the ban on DC metro would be nice to see through now (There's definitely lawsuits in circulation on both of those)
    Great news. Good thinking.

In time it will happen. Bruen changed everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom