• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Would you support allowing private sellers the ability to voluntarily perform a NICS?

• Yes

Votes: 117 58.2%
    • No

Votes: 64 31.8%
    • I dont know

Votes: 20 10.0%

• Total voters

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    Pretty simple question, would you support allowing private sellers the ability to voluntarily perform a NICS check on a private sale?

I started thinking about it after Minuteman posted his thread on a similar subject. Thoughts?

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Maybe, if 100% voluntary and inexpensive or free. Best option I've heard is for the buyer to do it, where the buyer calls in, pays no more than a $5 fee, and gets a verification number. The buyer gives that number to the seller who can then call in for free to verify it before making the sale. No serial number would be given during either call.

I answered "I don't know" to the poll. All depends on the details of how such a system would work.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    Sure. If I wanted to sell something to a stranger (not that I would) I'd like the ability to check to be sure that the purchaser wasn't a bad guy. That would only work if NICS was open to all of us, not just registered dealers, though.

mikemike328

Aug 26, 2013
    Baltimore
    i agree with this. but needs to be voluntary and cheaper then doing the transfer at a ffl. if you could call in and get a approval number which you can keep in your records with the bill of sale that way if something happens your not on the hook for it. and if the gun is resold again your still ok because the next person may not care who buys it.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    problem is how are they going to allow one person without an FFL license to check? An FFL already can have problems doing routine check on someone and they do it all the time.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    problem is how are they going to allow one person without an FFL license to check? An FFL already can have problems doing routine check on someone and they do it all the time.

At a minimum, FBI CJIS would need a much bigger staff and maybe a separate phone number. An online e-check system would be better.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I think it's fine.

Maybe if we all put our heads together, we can find more ways to help the Liberals impose more gun restrictions on us.

mikemike328

Aug 26, 2013
    Baltimore
    i think a phone app would be a good a idea even if it cost a few dollars. i do all my transfers at a ffl now even long guns just to protect myself from being accountable

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Pretty simple question, would you support allowing private sellers the ability to voluntarily perform a NICS check on a private sale?

I started thinking about it after Minuteman posted his thread on a similar subject. Thoughts?

Thanks for acknowledging my 'attempt' at an intelligent discussion/debate about background checks. All in all it actually was a pretty good thread, the first couple pages were full of good info.

In the end, I think individuals need to be able to somehow verify that a person is 'not prohibited'. In Maryland we have a large number of people with security clearances, and its relatively easy for a person with a clearance to check if another person also has a clearance (and therefore clearly not prohibited; way higher standard to hold a clearance). When selling to a family member or close friend, it is also very easy to know; I've also heard of people asking to see drivers licenses and/or voter registration cards, etc. But at the end of the day, to FTF sell a long gun, as long as you do not have reason to believe the person you are selling to is prohibited, its legal. I think that's reasonable. But I would like the ability to check NICS myself (if it can be done and protect privacy; I don't know that it can?) or have an office I can call, or stop by a local gun shop, without having to do the paperwork.

If a person has a wear and carry (Maryland's version of a CCW permit), or a HQL (Handgun Qualification License) then you also know they are not prohibited.

I'm glad you started the poll.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    We could make the person doing the background check and selling the gun responsible for any and all crimes or murders committed with the gun in the future.

Or we could have Face To Face gun selling liability insurance to protect us.

redsandman6

Dec 22, 2011
    Dundalk
    Maybe, if 100% voluntary and inexpensive or free. Best option I've heard is for the buyer to do it, where the buyer calls in, pays no more than a $5 fee, and gets a verification number. The buyer gives that number to the seller who can then call in for free to verify it before making the sale. No serial number would be given during either call.

I answered "I don't know" to the poll. All depends on the details of how such a system would work.

I agree it has to be free, but I feel the seller should do it. The buyer could enter in false info and get an all clear and the sell would never know. The buyer gives seller his id and seller calls it in. The seller is going to take down his info anyway on the bill of sale. Online would be great but it would be a prime target for hackers. Its going to cost a lot of money if this happens but as our dear leader said if saves only one life its worth it. lol

I am in the minority here. I feel all sales should have a back ground check. but I don't think we should have to go to a dealer to do the check. private people should be able to call in and run a check. I also feel we should not give into the other side demands for universal background checks. we should trade it or use it as a compromise on something we want. maybe national reciprocity, or eliminating the 1986 machine gun ban. or eliminating the whole NFA.

good guy 176

R.I.P.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    At a minimum, FBI CJIS would need a much bigger staff and maybe a separate phone number. An online e-check system would be better.

Run it like they do with the ATF EZ Check system. All the data is on file and/or readily available, just do it. I've been checked out hundreds of times in Merryland, and think that it's a good idea that any buyer be verified.

Lew--Ranger63

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    So can I just sit at home and run random checks on my neighbors?

I'd like to run a NICS check on that Tricia Bishop, who wrote the Op Ed piece in the Sun calling for a database of gun owners.

We are now advocating California and Washington State laws be extended to all states. There is no way they are going to open NICS to the general public.

Instead, they are going to require that ALL transfers go through an FFL or State Police (or the new Federal Police).

And THAT will mean Universal Registration, which will greatly simplify the upcoming Australian Solution.

THAT is what you are advocating, whether you realize it or not.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    We should appeal to the Democratic National Committee and suggest, no, not suggest, demand that a 50% tax be imposed based on the value of the gun sold through the Face to Face EZ Check system.

We, as responsible gun sellers, should understand that running a campaign designed to strip us of more of our rights and freedoms is no easy or inexpensive feat.

25% would go to Hillary Rodham Clinton to ensure a successful presidential run.

and

25% would go to Dianne Feinstein so she could fund her National Gun Registration system.

It's good common sense gun control and it's the right thing to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom