• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DennisCA

Can you shoot birdshot out of a muzzleloading pistol?

I have this:
    zjhg.jpg

FYI - Twist Rate 1:20 RATE OF TWIST

BTW - It's a .50 cal

Last edited:

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    YES! and NO!

It's a rifled barrel and the shot will go in ALL directions once it leaves the barrel.

If you can find a cup/wad to put the shot in, then it may work.

But the cup/wad may just catch the rifling and the shot would spin anyway.

If it's just for $hits and giggles go ahead, but you will not have a pattern.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    Can you shoot birdshot out of a muzzleloading pistol?
    Looks like one I have in 45 cal. If you are using an weight of shot equivalent to the bullet weight, I don't see a problem for a safety viewpoint. The gun doesn't know whether it's solid lead or #6 shot.

Curiousity forces me to ask Shoot what? robins, cardinals and squirrels? Rifled or not, it effectively an 6-8" cylinder bore. Squirrels eat 100% of my cucumbers so I have no love for them, and a 22 is not in the running where I live, because of the proximity of other homes (and also illegal but a secondary consideration) I think they would call the cops if I started blasting away with a percussion pistol, even though their kids are scaring the crap out of my dog lighting off fireworks 150 days a year.

I am sorry to say as a kid, I killed my share of song birds with a BB gun. As for squirrels, ef em. You never want one to eat into your attic.

Rickhead

XXXXXXXXXX
    Sep 12, 2010
    I've done it with a smooth bore flitnlock pistol. It made a pretty wide pattern at 20 feet or so. Did a nice job on water bottles, impressed the kids. You could probably make shot cups out of paper if you want to use them.

4570inMD

Western MD Hooligan #007
    Jan 26, 2011
    West Virginia
    Can you shoot birdshot out of a muzzleloading pistol?...BTW - It's a .50 cal

From Wikipedia: "Buck and ball was a common load for muzzle-loading muskets, and was frequently used in the American Revolutionary War and into the early days of the American Civil War. The load usually consisted of a .69 caliber round lead musket ball that was combined with three to six buckshot pellets."

Since it was so popular in muskets and early rifles, I am sure that 'Buck & Ball' loading was used in muzzleloading pistols as well.

You will not be the first or the last to experiment with different loads.

4570inMD

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom