• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • b4tn

Feb 4, 2015
    I recently picked up a Ruger american in .308. I wanted something for cheap that I could mess around with long range shooting out to 200 yards for now. I fired 20 rounds at a 50 yard indoor range but I'm having a hard time holding it comfortably. I have always fired m16/m4/ar15 both in the military and civilian. With adjustable stock and my nose on the charging handle I am dead on. I just can't seem to get a good check weld and reference point comfortably on this rifle. If I'm comfortable my eye is too close to the scope. If I back up from the scope the but stock is more on my arm than shoulder. I'm getting frustrated. If I close my eyes and rest comfortable the scope is too high. If I adjust to see out the scope i have to awkwardly hold my neck at a strange angle. My scope is already mounted as far forward as I can get it (redfirld revenge 3x9 40) I might try a check pad. Any other suggestions or am I just over used to an AR platform?

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I think you are too used to the AR platform. You can always get a cheek riser, buttpad, lower rings, move the scope forwards or backwards, to try to alleviate the issues you are having.

jjones88

Apr 4, 2013
    Sykesville
    I had a lot of issues with my cheek weld on my ruger american.

Bought a boyd's stock and that helped a lot.

Prior to the boyd's stock, I went cheap and wrapped a dish towel and formed a nice little comb, might want to try that out?

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I recently picked up a Ruger american in .308. I wanted something for cheap that I could mess around with long range shooting out to 200 yards for now. I fired 20 rounds at a 50 yard indoor range but I'm having a hard time holding it comfortably. I have always fired m16/m4/ar15 both in the military and civilian. With adjustable stock and my nose on the charging handle I am dead on. I just can't seem to get a good check weld and reference point comfortably on this rifle. If I'm comfortable my eye is too close to the scope. If I back up from the scope the but stock is more on my arm than shoulder. I'm getting frustrated. If I close my eyes and rest comfortable the scope is too high. If I adjust to see out the scope i have to awkwardly hold my neck at a strange angle. My scope is already mounted as far forward as I can get it (redfirld revenge 3x9 40) I might try a check pad. Any other suggestions or am I just over used to an AR platform?
    http://www.snipercentral.com/bradley-cheek-rest-m1am14/

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Get a foam pool noodle, cut a 10" section off of it. Split that part of the noodle in half, so you have half of a tube. Place inside on top of stock. Get camo duct tape, secure piece of foam on top of stock. Hillbilly cheek rest.

b4tn

Feb 4, 2015
    I had a lot of issues with my cheek weld on my ruger american.

Bought a boyd's stock and that helped a lot.

Prior to the boyd's stock, I went cheap and wrapped a dish towel and formed a nice little comb, might want to try that out?

Glad I am not the only one. I was really looking at the Boyds stock. They are very slick looking.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Get a foam pool noodle, cut a 10" section off of it. Split that part of the noodle in half, so you have half of a tube. Place inside on top of stock. Get camo duct tape, secure piece of foam on top of stock. Hillbilly cheek rest.

^^^ This is a good idea.

When I needed to determine what size (height) cheek riser needed for my beloved M1A, I used foam pipe insulation (from Lowe's) to 'shim up' the stock.

It took a few tries, but, I got the proper height determined at very little cost.

Then, I ordered a cheek riser from Coyote M1A online. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

You should start with a butt pad that will increase the length of pull. Your American has a 13.75 inch LOP. My hunting rifle is 14 inches and I have a 1/2 inch limbsaver recoil pad on it. Then see if a home made cheek riser helps before buying one.

With the increased LOP, you may not have to get new rings for the scope.

Boyd's stocks for the American come standard at 13.75 LOP. But you can get one longer as a custom option. You can also order an adjustable comb.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County

Love this idea. Great way to explore optimal (or personally comfortable) cheek welds on different platforms. When using different styles of rifles with different stocks (and stock angles), this can be a pain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom