Procedure on purchasing handgun online ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Josh17bellew

Jan 30, 2018
    I understand that I would need to have the handgun shipped to my local ffl dealer but do I purchase the gun first then go to my ffl and give them my 77r and pay my $10. Or go to my ffl do my paper work then go home and purchase it ?. Sorry if this is a dumb question this is all new to me ... Thanks

Adolph Oliver Bush

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 13, 2015
    I understand that I would need to have the handgun shipped to my local ffl dealer but do I purchase the gun first then go to my ffl and give them my 77r and pay my $10. Or go to my ffl do my paper work then go home and purchase it ?. Sorry if this is a dumb question this is all new to me ... Thanks

Why don't you just go to your local gun shop and buy from them? Support your local small business. Especially a gun shop in this state......

First things first... You need a HQL.
    Then:
    Line up a MD FFL willing to do the transfer.
    You pay the dealer for the gun and shipping
    The dealer ships to your FFL
    You do MD paperwork and pay the FFL fee (typically in the $50 range) and pay MD State Police the $10 transfer fee
    Wait 7 days
    Return to the FFL to take posession of the pistol.

As many will say, myself included, it is usually better to shop local unless you are on a mission for an oddball pistol. Between shipping and fees, what you see online is going to be ~$100 more by the time it is in your hands.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Some of the online dealers and websites will have a list of FFL’s in your area that they approve or have dealt with. If your preferred FFL isn’t on that list you should call the dealer & ask if you can use that FFL. Just a precaution, they may have a distributorship deal with certain FFL’s.

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    Thank you all !!! I was only gonna order online because of a certain color I wanted .

An FFL can order anything you want. When the Marlin 2000 .22 came out I could not find one anywhere big blue ugly stock my FFL did it for me lower than MSRP.

Later I upgraded the firearm to a biathlon rifle with a 5 shot magazine rail an a more decent looking stock. I'm for supporting local gunsmiths in the state you live. Maryland legislature has been bleeding with 1000 cuts. Many have gone out of business.

gmharle

MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Millers, MD
    Thank you all !!! I was only gonna order online because of a certain color I wanted .

Local dealers are also able to order things for you. You might be surprised that the net cost will be very close to the online purchase. Plus it helps to build a relationship with your local FFL.

armed_economist

Dec 4, 2017
    Let both sides (seller, local FFL) know about the potential transaction beforehand. Some sellers will want the FFL to send them their FFL and other credentials before shipping out.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    Here's what I did when I purchased a handgun from Bud's:

1. Ask the local FFL if they could order what I wanted They said no.
    2. Ask if they would do the MD paperwork for a purchase online. They said yes.
    3. Contact Bud's, order and pay for handgun and shipping.
    4. Gave them the phone number and name of the person at the local FFL who agreed to do the paperwork. Shipping FFL called receiving FFL and made arrangements to ship, presumably exchanging FFL numbers and sharing the secret handshake.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Let both sides (seller, local FFL) know about the potential transaction beforehand. Some sellers will want the FFL to send them their FFL and other credentials before shipping out.

They HAVE to have a copy of the FFL before shipping the firearm.

To do otherwise would be a Federal felony.

Fill 77R Out Online

You can go online to the Maryland State Police website, create a free account, and fill out a 77R online even before your purchase. You will receive an email with your application number and a pin number for that application, which you will provide to the dealer once your handgun has been delivered, pay your $10 and whatever fee the FFL charges for the transfer. Then you'll wait seven days for your confirmation email from the MSP, and can pick up your handgun as soon as you receive it. Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom