• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cowboy T

Nothing bad about the Dillon presses or the Hornady presses. I've used an RL550B and it's a fine, if expensive, piece of machinery. I have not yet used Hornady's progressive offering, but I hear generally good things about it.

Eventually I settled on a pair of Lee Pro 1000's, one for small primer rounds, and another for large primer rounds. So far, they've been very good performers for me and thus excellent values. One of them will very soon pass the 30,000-round mark. The other (the .45 Colt one) is about to hit 10,000.

I hear all these claims of 800 rounds/hour and such. That's fine, but the 375/hour of real-world production I get from my .38/357 Pro 1000 is good enough for me. I'm a hobbyist reloader who shoots about 1,000 rounds/month. If I had the time, I would shoot 3,000/month because I really enjoy marksmanship practice. Any of the progressives, from Lee Pro 1000 to Dillon Super-1050 will satisfy even that rate of shooting with no problems.

All of the reloading companies make good gear that will produce excellent ammo. You really won't go wrong with any of them.

Warhorse

Aug 20, 2008
    Centreville, MD
    See the Lee Loadmaster thread in this section. It will give you some considerable pause on getting one of them. The Dillon or Hornady is well worth the additional cost in keeping your blood pressure down.

Cochise

Ultimate Member
    Sep 5, 2008
    Rockville
    I started loading on a Lee turret press back when they only had 3 dies.
    I now load metallics on a Dillon 550B I have had for at least 15 years.
    I like to play with reloading equipment and have used just about everything at one time or another. (rcbs, herters, pacific, hornady, bair, mec, PW, redhead, star, hollywood, lee, lachmiller, belding & mull ect)
    I will never own another lee product other than their dies which are fine and their production pot lead melter. The Lee stuff goes out of adjustment at will and I want to load not fiddle with settings.
    The Dillon is great, I have heard good things about the Hornady but havent played with a lock n load progressive.
    The people telling you the Lee stuff is as good dont have a clue, I didnt either till I tried the better quality equipment and realized I didnt need to spend my time fighting a poorly designed machine with insufficient leverage and plastic parts which are made to break.

bmwdan42

Jan 30, 2012
    Central Virginia
    Hornady lock and load - under $400 if you shop. Fast die change. I have the micrometer adjuster for the pistol rotor for the powder measure. I use Alliant Power Pistol for both .40 and .45. If I use the small primer .45s I can switch calibers in under 2 minutes without having to change out the primer feeder and punch. I have a fiend with the Dillon 650 with the automatic case feeder and bullet feeder. He loves his too.

Spur

May 1, 2011
    Harford County
    I decided and ordered a Hornady LNL AP. Midway had them under $400.00 and Hornady rebates 500 free bullets (which was the deciding factor) which drops the price to about $300.00. Thanks to everyone for thier comments and opinions, especially Doug and Tom.
    Carl

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    wtg Carl, I just ordered some .38 special bullets and will be cranking those out to run threw my new to me Model 10 S&W. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom