Prohibited Area Discrepancies: Carry at Public Rest Areas, Schools and Demonstrations

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chat-Bot

Disinformation Governor
    Oct 17, 2020
    под скалой
    In anticipation of receiving my permit soon, I decided to look specifically at the laws where carrying is prohibited by law. I (shockingly, I know) found a discrepancy between the MSP's website and the actual law.

MSP Website: In State Highway Rest Areas, unless properly secured within vehicle (COMAR 11.04.07.12)

COMAR 11.01.07.12: The display or discharge of firearms, pellet guns, B-B guns, and fireworks of any kind is prohibited.

It seems that the actual law (COMAR) prohibits OC/discharge at a rest area only and the MSP website is incorrect. Has anyone else found any other discrepancies?

Another one I found is in regard to schools:

MSP Website: On school property

Criminal Law 4-102(b): Prohibited. -- A person may not carry or possess a firearm, knife, or deadly weapon of any kind on public school property.

Here, it seems that carrying on public school property is prohibited. As for private schools, there does not seem to be a prohibition.

Lastly, there's a slight discrepancy on public demonstrations:

MSP Website: Within 1,000 feet of a demonstration in a public place

Criminal Law 4-208(b): (2) A person may not have a firearm in the person's possession or on or about the person at a demonstration in a public place or in a vehicle that is within 1,000 feet of a demonstration in a public place after:
    (i) the person has been advised by a law enforcement officer that a demonstration is occurring at the public place; and
    (ii) the person has been ordered by the law enforcement officer to leave the area of the demonstration until the person disposes of the firearm.

It seems that you have to be advised that a public demonstration is occurring, and you have to be ordered to leave the area.

My son goes to a daycare that is also a k4-8th grade private school. I think I'm restricted because of the daycare portion lol.

You can get "authorization" from a private school principal and carry on campus.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    In anticipation of receiving my permit soon, I decided to look specifically at the laws where carrying is prohibited by law. I (shockingly, I know) found a discrepancy between the MSP's website and the actual law.

MSP Website: In State Highway Rest Areas, unless properly secured within vehicle (COMAR 11.04.07.12)

COMAR 11.01.07.12: The display or discharge of firearms, pellet guns, B-B guns, and fireworks of any kind is prohibited.

It seems that the actual law (COMAR) prohibits OC/discharge at a rest area only and the MSP website is incorrect. Has anyone else found any other discrepancies?

Another one I found is in regard to schools:

MSP Website: On school property

Criminal Law 4-102(b): Prohibited. -- A person may not carry or possess a firearm, knife, or deadly weapon of any kind on public school property.

Here, it seems that carrying on public school property is prohibited. As for private schools, there does not seem to be a prohibition.

Lastly, there's a slight discrepancy on public demonstrations:

MSP Website: Within 1,000 feet of a demonstration in a public place

Criminal Law 4-208(b): (2) A person may not have a firearm in the person's possession or on or about the person at a demonstration in a public place or in a vehicle that is within 1,000 feet of a demonstration in a public place after:
    (i) the person has been advised by a law enforcement officer that a demonstration is occurring at the public place; and
    (ii) the person has been ordered by the law enforcement officer to leave the area of the demonstration until the person disposes of the firearm.

It seems that you have to be advised that a public demonstration is occurring, and you have to be ordered to leave the area.
    We have been saying for years, that "the list" on MSP's website is incorrect/embelished, complete with cites.

The rest stop issue has been brought up MANY times and every time has been shown to be bogus information from MSP, and yet it still comes up. Along with all of the other items on MSPs website.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I am personally confused about the rest stop thing. MSIs page makes it more confusing.

COMAR says “display or discharge”. To me that would mean if you are conceal carrying it is legal

Unless….

the rest stop has a no guns allowed sign… then it’s a no no

I plan on avoiding rest stops in the state. I’d rather shit myself than risk it. Lol

We got any lawyers on here who can break this down for us.
    Said signs in Maryland have absolutely NO force of law. The worst that can happen is you can be asked to leave. No confusion what so ever.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    No carrying at a state rest area, the weapon needs to be locked up in your vehicle when using the facilities. This is my understanding.

Sent from my SM-T738U using Tapatalk
    Your understanding is incorrect.
    State law, and COMAR state no OC and no discharge.
    Absolutely No where in state statute is Concealed carry on a permit prohibited in state statute. If it is NOT prohibited in State Statute (State law), then it is permissable. Carry on.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    We need the legal definition of “display” as it relates to the comar. Trying to find something now.
    NO, COMAR is NOT the law, please stop treating as if it is.

COMAR is the administrative regulation on how the state law (State Statutes) are enforce.
    The definition would be in State Statute, and any lack of said definition benefits the person, not the state.

Stop trying to make carrying harder than it needs to be.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Said signs in Maryland have absolutely NO force of law. The worst that can happen is you can be asked to leave. No confusion what so ever.
    That’s the worst that SHOULD happen. Tell me again about the 5-0 having no confusion? :tinfoil:

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I am personally confused about the rest stop thing. MSIs page makes it more confusing.

COMAR says “display or discharge”. To me that would mean if you are conceal carrying it is legal

Unless….

the rest stop has a no guns allowed sign… then it’s a no no

I plan on avoiding rest stops in the state. I’d rather shit myself than risk it. Lol

We got any lawyers on here who can break this down for us.
    I've never spoken 1 word to anyone at a rest stop let alone have a police interaction.

44Dan44

DD 214 Exempt
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 15, 2022
    Owings, Maryland
    I've never spoken 1 word to anyone at a rest stop let alone have a police interaction.
    This made me laugh and indeed... same here. I don't frequent rest stops but when I do it's pretty quick and not a lot of chatting. Ambiguous head nod at best.

nodding-head-nodding.gif

HotWheelsUMD

Feb 22, 2013
    Northern Balt Co, MD
    The daycare one seemed like a stretch to me as well. It comes from a list of things that daycare providers either cannot have or must control access to in a daycare facility.

"G. Except in a small center located in a residence, a firearm may not be kept on the premises."

Does this language actually cover a parent picking up a child at a daycare who is [otherwise] lawfully carrying? Is it reasonable to conclude that activity constitutes "keeping" a firearm on the premises?

trailman

Nov 15, 2011
    Frederick
    So this is from MSI website

Places and Times In Which Firearms Can Not Be Legally Carried by a Permit Holder

I wonder how much of this is technically struck down. Places like forest lands are just what SCOTUS spoke about where a locality cannot ban carry in vast swaths of land.

LoneWolf123

MDS Supporter
    Jul 17, 2022
    Maryland
    NO, COMAR is NOT the law, please stop treating as if it is.

COMAR is the administrative regulation on how the state law (State Statutes) are enforce.
    The definition would be in State Statute, and any lack of said definition benefits the person, not the state.

Stop trying to make carrying harder than it needs to be.
    Sorry boss. Just asking trying to understand here. Literally the only sensitive place I am not super clear on and could impact me.

When I got to shit. I got to shit immediately. Short fuse. Lol

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    Rest stops are cared for by the county in which they are. So i was told. The property is deeded as part of the highway system. Keep on carrying it is OK.

Sent from an undisclosed location.

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    what would the penalty be for carrying in a place restricted by state law? For instance in a rest stop, ASSUMING that it was in fact illegal.

Generally speaking each law has a section that defines the penalty. From what I have seen, the vast majority of gun laws have a potential penalty of at least 3 years in prison.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    friggin Elrich on news today say nothing will happen to you in a public building, so no need to carry there. he must not get out much.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    what would the penalty be for carrying in a place restricted by state law?

Esqapellate just shortly ago addressed this in another thread .

The Permit language says * Valid except where prohibited by law * . Hence , in such places the W&C Permit would have no force , so the charge would be 4-203 , Carrying w/o a License .

3 yr Misdemeanor , aka Prohibiting offense .

Dave

Ultimate Member
    Jul 10, 2008
    Gamber, Marylanistan
    Esqapellate just shortly ago addressed this in another thread .

The Permit language says * Valid except where prohibited by law * . Hence , in such places the W&C Permit would have no force , so the charge would be 4-203 , Carrying w/o a License .

3 yr Misdemeanor , aka Prohibiting offense .

thank you. I think everyone needs to be aware of this as we can be sure we'll be seeing a whole list of new prohibited places once the legislature is in session.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom