• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BellyAcher151

channel 28 Breaker!!
    Oct 14, 2011
    Salisbury
    In what mannor is it appropriate to fly this flag?
    how should it be displayed?

I know state flags under American, stars to left when hung as banner for American Flag.

But How to "Don't Tread on Me"?

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    The only references I've ever found to etiquette regarding flags refer to the American flag and it's uses and displays. There is likely no etiquette regarding other flags except individual states' flags and how they're displayed(with the American flag taking precedence).

Mr H

Unincited Co-Conservative
    Other than the proper flying of the US flag, any other flag is subservient to it.

There may be protocols for the MD flag beyond "this end up" (the black segment always in the top-left), but I've not researched those.

Anything else, as long as they're subservient to the US flag and flown respectfully, should be pretty loose.

LGood48

Ultimate Member
    Feb 3, 2011
    Cecil County
    All I know is when viewed the the American flag is always to the right, I think

Almost...but when viewed from an audience perspective the US flag is always on the left. The flag etiquette book available from any Legion or VFW post says, IIRC, ...when displayed will always be on its own right...

Basically, if a color guard carrying say US - Army - USMC - etc. then the US colors are on the CG's right side.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    There may be protocols for the MD flag beyond "this end up" (the black segment always in the top-left), but I've not researched those.

Oddly enough, I recall that the MD Flag when displayed is only supposed to be displayed with a cross at the top of the flag pole, not any other device.

Mr H

Infantry23

Ultimate Member
    Dec 9, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Almost...but when viewed from an audience perspective the US flag is always on the left. The flag etiquette book available from any Legion or VFW post says, IIRC, ...when displayed will always be on its own right...

Basically, if a color guard carrying say US - Army - USMC - etc. then the US colors are on the CG's right side.

This is correct. Its own "right" is the position of honor, just like military customs of walking with a higher ranking officer... he will be one pace ahead and on the right.

Infantry23

Ultimate Member
    Dec 9, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Oddly enough, I recall that the MD Flag when displayed is only supposed to be displayed with a cross at the top of the flag pole, not any other device.

Iirc, MD is / was the only state to require the cross atop the standard. It is so even in military settings (i.e. classrooms, halls, etc at Fts. Benning, Bragg, etc). I always took pride in seeing it displayed properly.

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Other than the proper flying of the US flag, any other flag is subservient to it.

Anything else, as long as they're subservient to the US flag and flown respectfully, should be pretty loose.

Basically it's: US>US Departmental (Army, Navy Department of State etc.) >= State > All Others

FWIW, Texas is allowed to fly at the same level as US flag. (Just sayin')

Bohlieve410

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2011
    I know it will get you called an a**hole by douchebags in Rockville if displayed in the back window of your car. Ask me how I know!

Mr H

That's possible, thanks for the correction. I was going from memory and how I've seen the Army flag with state flags. Most times I saw them the Army flag was at the same height.

If all are being carried, or are on separate staffs, they can all be at the same height.

The US would be at the observer's far left (presenter's/marching right), then another National flag (if present), then the state flag, then county (if present), then any others.

rrrrrrkevin

Its comin right for me!
    Jul 18, 2008
    North Beach
    I take pirate flags on all my deployments and get my buddies to sign them to keep them for memories and someone suggested that the Gadsden would be a cool one and one person even emulated this with a blue star banner to give to his wife. When I said I didn't think either was appropriate they looked at me like I was crazy and didn't understand why I would think that. I think the Blue Star Banner idea is a nice thought for his wife but even that didn't feel appropriate not only because I don't want to sign all over that one but the banner never hung on her window while he was deployed. These are soldiers too btw.

I cant find it in writing anywhere but it just doesn't feel right to sign a Gadsden or a Blue Star Banner. They suggested this because I do have a Gadsden buried in my bag that I brought with me. I specifically chose to use pirate flags like Jolly Roger's because I didn't think it was disrespectful to sign and do artwork on them, but soldiers would appreciate them because they are absolutely cool flags while still a novelty.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    roth405

Latest threads

Top Bottom