• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    The prospect of being able to use a straight wall cartridge like a 45-70 in a lever action gun really has me enticed to get into deer hunting. Can't wait for this to be "official" I may be going out to buy one the day it is announced.

I want something threaded. I’ve got a 38spc right now, so a .357 lever gun has me enticed. But I’d also like a 45LC/45acp revolver at some point (have a G21).

Wife isn’t the fondest of me owning guns let alone dozens and sure is going to refuse scores.

I am in the middle there right now...

Ideally I’d like a 45LC lever action rifle for deer hunting and eventually get a .357 lever gun. But probably leaning going the other direction. Get a .357 lever gun and if I am lucky a 45LC. Seems like you can get a 250gr XTP up to about 1600fps out of a rifle. Run a silencer on it and magic.

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    Marlin used to make a short barreled 1895 in 45/70 that would knock the snot out of you. I don't know if they still make it but it was a handy woods gun but, at the bench, it was a killer. :shocked2:
    Guide gun! I’m looking forward to flipping a few whitetails with mine! It’s bad ass and deadly accurate! They still make it!

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    I don't remember it having a name. It had an 18 inch magnaported barrel and a Williams peep sight. Nice gun but very violent and the porting made it worse.

Mines not ported but is the 18.5 inch barrel! It’s a thumper!

Attachments

• E951F4D5-F6FF-4624-8132-F735C966DD08.jpg
      E951F4D5-F6FF-4624-8132-F735C966DD08.jpg
      73.1 KB · Views: 429

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    I'm gonna give my TNW Aero Survival rifle in 460 Rowland a go. 185gr Nosler JHP from Underwood @ 1725fps out of a 16" barrel for 1222 ft/lb at the muzzle.

That should be quite the hammer! I used the Speer 230 gr. 45 Super load (looks like a Gold Dot bullet) from Underwood in a 7.5" Blackhawk a couple of years ago and shot a pretty decent size doe at less than 10 yds. Worked great.

Unfortunately, that Blackhawk belonged to a buddy who lost his job and was tight on funds, so I bought it from him when he offered it to me. Once he got back on track, he asked if he could get it back. Really couldn't say no, so now it's back with him. But I really miss that gun and need to find one of my own. Any for sale out there???

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Needless to say , the question of what gets the job done for deer, and what is Maryland legal ( under existing regs ) are two different discussions . Regular .45acp has been used since forever in other jurisdictions , the .45Super is same, only more better .

( .45 Super is a "real" ctg w/ SAAMI specs , 28k psi )

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    Nothing else has changed in COMAR, see the link in post #47.

Also, when they publish it in the MD register, its a done deal. The real comment period for this ran in February before they published, and they removed some things that they proposed.

So I guess my question is (perhaps beating dead horse here) some are saying/telling me this is not carved in stone yet and it would be good to know for certain before plunking down some cash for a new rifle for this. I think this is certain but there are some talking it is not and causing some doubts. So is this for sure or just a maybe?

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    So I guess my question is (perhaps beating dead horse here) some are saying/telling me this is not carved in stone yet and it would be good to know for certain before plunking down some cash for a new rifle for this. I think this is certain but there are some talking it is not and causing some doubts. So is this for sure or just a maybe?

It's not for sure. They'll publish the rules at the end of July.

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    Hunting licenses can be purchased effective 8/1. The regulations have to be written early enough to get annual Hunting guide back from the printers in time. At some point the decision has to proceed.

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    It's not for sure. They'll publish the rules at the end of July.

Thanks for your help. I may put off a new purchase until later, but would like to have enough time to feel comfortable with how I shoot it. Maybe enough time in August.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Thanks for your help. I may put off a new purchase until later, but would like to have enough time to feel comfortable with how I shoot it. Maybe enough time in August.

You'll have August 1st through November 27th to get it and practice. This won't affect archery season, only firearm, after Thanksgiving.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    You'll have August 1st through November 27th to get it and practice. This won't affect archery season, only firearm, after Thanksgiving.

Stores need to start filling their racks. I was at three shops a week ago, two were practically cleared out the other was overpriced, probably why they had inventory.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    This is such a great development!

I've got a Marlin 1894 in .44 magnum that I'd like to put a scope on. Can anyone recommend a good optic, mount and gunsmith to help me? I'm in the DC area but will go wherever to make sure the job is done right.

Here's Hickok45 shooting the same rifle. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bc4xzZqQogg

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    Have a Silencerco omega. Would a 30/30 lever action be cool for that? Wife has been begging for a lever gun and im a big fan of keeping bambi whacking noise down. Not that the mathews doesn't do its job. But when your wife asks for a gun you dont ask questions.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    30/30 is not straight walled. You could however use it in those counties that are currently ok for rifles. Places like most of Frederick and the western counties, Carrol, Caroline, and a few others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom