Proposed repeal of Pittman Robertson Act - Thoughts?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    The .gov is never efficient with tax money. I really wonder where these monies go. How many hands take a piece of the pie?

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    You cannot tax a right.

Tax abortions instead.
    The tax is paid for by the manufacturers. Yes, that cost is passed onto the consumers.

If what you say would be the golden rule, then guns, ammo, archery equipment, etc would be sales tax exempt also.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I've always seen Pittman Robertson as being the one tax that is used as intended. I also see it as hunters and firearms users putting their money where their mouths are, and funding the outdoors areas that are amenable to hunting and general firearms use, where others would very quickly disallow either practice. Neither freedom comes without a cost, and this might be the one area I can point to where I see value received.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    I don’t want to see the Pittman Roberson act go.
    With that be stated, they say this tax is unconstitutional because you can’t tax a right.
    If that’s the case sales tax on gun and ammo sales is also unconstitutional.

What about the tax stamps for NFA items? That is definitely a tax on a right for sure.

bcr229

FFL/SOT
    Jul 15, 2011
    Inwood, WV
    I thought P-R was assessed on more than just firearms. It also applies to fishing equipment, camping gear, etc.
    If what you say would be the golden rule, then guns, ammo, archery equipment, etc would be sales tax exempt also.
    Sidebar - those are exempt from sales tax in WV.

I also thought that other products were subject to P-R taxes.

Also if P-R taxes are a violation of the Second Amendment then what about transfer taxes on Title II firearms?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I thought P-R was assessed on more than just firearms. It also applies to fishing equipment, camping gear, etc.

Also if P-R taxes are a violation of the Second Amendment then what about transfer taxes on Title II firearms?
    If those arms are suitable for militia service, they should be.

Devonian

Ultimate Member
    Apr 15, 2008
    I’m against repeal. But I would support lowering the tax while expanding the scope to include general outdoor goods like camping equipment and hiking gear.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    You cannot tax a right.

Tax abortions instead.
    They aren't. Nothing in this tax hinders you from owning or carrying a firearm. It just adds cost to NEW firearms. There's all kinds of ways to utilize the 2A without buying a new gun.

This isn't a tax on a right...that's a lame argument.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    They aren't. Nothing in this tax hinders you from owning or carrying a firearm. It just adds cost to NEW firearms. There's all kinds of ways to utilize the 2A without buying a new gun.

This isn't a tax on a right...that's a lame argument.
    So an EXTRA tax on buying a new gun isn't a tax on an implement used to exercise a right? What if it's your first gun?

It's a valid argument. You just don't like it.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Question to the hive: What if they kept P-A but eliminated Firearms from the tax? That would eliminate the question of "taxing a right" (even though it isn't), but still keep important revenue from other outdoorsy sales.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Question to the hive: What if they kept P-A but eliminated Firearms from the tax? That would eliminate the question of "taxing a right" (even though it isn't), but still keep important revenue from other outdoorsy sales.
    Did Justice Roberts tell you it wasn't a tax? Like Obamacare?

It says it's a tax...an 11% excise tax. Owning a firearm is a right.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    So an EXTRA tax on buying a new gun isn't a tax on an implement used to exercise a right? What if it's your first gun?

It's a valid argument. You just don't like it.
    Keep in mind I'm hard core Libertarian, and I'm with Boondock when he says no taxes are good taxes. I don't like paying an extra 11% on guns and ammo...but the market price is set. Take away P-A and we won't pay a penny less. But we will lose BIG TIME in the outdoors.

And you can get your first gun from other sources other than buying one new. Most people get their first gun as a gift or hand-me-down. I understand that that doesn't cover everyone though, and cost can be prohibitive. Hell, I'd own 100 more guns if I had the finances.

Here's the way I see it: The 2A recognized our right to own and carry a gun. It is not however a right TO a gun. We have to buy that gun at fair market price. It's not like the right to vote where the cost is covered by the gov't, and any poll tax would certainly be unconstitutional. So you're paying a price for it anyways...might as well have some of it go to stuff you approve of.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Here's the way I see it: The 2A recognized our right to own and carry a gun. It is not however a right TO a gun. We have to buy that gun at fair market price. It's not like the right to vote where the cost is covered by the gov't, and any poll tax would certainly be unconstitutional. So you're paying a price for it anyways...might as well have some of it go to stuff you approve of.
    What about the 1A case I posted above where the government tried to put an extra tax on paper and ink, and they said you couldn't tax the implements needed to exercise a right?

243hunter

Oct 26, 2012
    Illinois

Firearms and the like are Pittman-Robertson funds. Fishing is Dingel-Johnson fund.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    What about the 1A case I posted above where the government tried to put an extra tax on paper and ink, and they said you couldn't tax the implements needed to exercise a right?
    I missed that. That would be a fair comparison. But if we can't have an "extra" tax on such items, why should they be taxed at all? Shouldn't sales tax go away too?

Listen, I'm all for ALL taxes going away. It's just that the P-A tax would be the last one I'd want to go. It serves a legit purpose.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    There is no reason why anyone should be paying this tax on the FMJ ammunition and self defense guns, but as can be seen on this website, people (including “conservatives”) have no problem making others pay an excise taxes that fund programs that have nothing to do with the product purchased as along as they approve of the use of the funding.

Pathetic.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    The Dems and Rinos are just trying to steal the PRA conservation money to funnel into their own pet projects and social agendas.

Pittman-Robinson is the one government program that works from the FDR New Deal nightmare.

Not seeing how PRA's excise tax is anti-2A if it helps promote hunting and wildlife conservation.

You don’t see how making self defense equipment more expensive to pay for things that have nothing to do with self defense is anti 2A?

Wtf does hunting have to do with 2A anyways. It’s entire purpose is to allow the people to fight an out of control government, not shoot birds and deer for fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom