• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    @tallen702 recommended a book to me: Salt: A World History by Mark Kurlansky, and it came as an awakening to me to realise the surprising value of salt in a pre-refrigeration economy. After all, who thinks about something so commonplace and easily come by?

Nevertheless, it has throughout history been a necessity, the production and control of which has made fortunes, been controlled by kings, and promoted trade.

Being able to provide a constant supply of salt, one would be able to preserve vegetables and meats, hides, fish -- all manner of necessities in a time when refrigeration will be dependent on availability and storage of ice, and perishable foodstuff preservation becomes a matter of life or death.

Something to think about? Anyway, an interesting book; so far I'm only halfway thru its 450+ pages. Amazon has copies.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    But my thousand year old himalayan pink sea salt has an expiration date. What would I do with expired salt. :P

"...if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted? it is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men."

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Joke around all you want. The guy who knows how to make salt in quantity will own your ass.

As for me, I hope to be peacefully dead by the time the info is needed.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Some NaCl and related resources for fans and critics...

King Chicken

I identify as King/Emperor
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 24, 2022
    Land Full of Marys - MoCo
    Joke around all you want. The guy who knows how to make salt in quantity will own your ass.

1000005144.jpg

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд

This too is my hope for myself Bob. I have no kids but my wife is 12 years my junior. I fear for her daily as she is the antithesis of self reliancy.

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    The production of salt from seawater isn't complicated. Evaporating 4 gallons of seawater yields over a pound of salt. Can also be extracted from brackish sources but yield will be lower for the same energy expended.

It's a good idea to have a lot of salt stored - it's cheap and has an infinite shelf life. But when that runs out, those who don't live close enough to the ocean to produce their own should find plenty of people who do willing to trade salt for other things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom