• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    For years when shooting I just use my normal glasses for eye protection. Several years back I used to put some shooting googles over on top of my glasses, but I found it broke the seal too much with my over-the-ear muffs, so I went with just my (wire-framed) glasses alone.

I never had a problem until this last weekend when shooting an Appleseed event with my daughter. She was to my left and showered me with hot 22 casings all weekend long. And while I'm used to hot brass on my neck or arms, two shell casings also bounced off my glasses. I didn't think anything about it until I got home and realized they had both scratched my lenses.

What do y'all recommend? Since I'm badly nearsighted I have to wear prescription lenses to see to shoot. Yet if I toss the normal bulky eye protection on that's large enough to fit over glasses, the ones I've tried so far break the seal and create unacceptable volume & I'm trying to protect what little hearing I have left. Are there any sort of clear clip-ons that I can put over standard glasses that don't go all the way back over your ears? What does everyone else do?

Thanks.

Dogabutila

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2010
    Not gonna be cheap, but M frame 3.0's are are designed to fit under earpro / headsets and can accept prescription lenses.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Maybe use ear plugs under the muffs if you don't already? Or depending how bad your vision is, ask your eye doc about contacts.

Rebelwon

Jul 10, 2013
    Woodstock, MD (HoCo)
    Like the OP, i am very nearsighted. I have multivocal contacts, then regular shooting glasses (no magnification, etc.) Which seem to work well indoors. Outdoors is a bit of an issue - I usually wear polarized Ray-Bans, but find that they don't work to well with an illuminated reticle on a scoped rifle. I am also looking for suggestions...

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I have the same problems with my vision. And even though my glasses are large by todays standards I occasionally have a piece of brass land behind them on my eyelid. I think my only real solution is to save up for a pair of dedicated prescription shooting glasses. In the meantime I use plugs and muffs together.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    You could buy regular laboratory/workshop style googles that go over the glasses but use a strap to hold them versus earpieces.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I get my prescription shooting glasses from Morgan Optical. It is in New York state. Most of the crew are shooters. The senior Morgan was/is a BIG TIME trap shooter.

I use Randolph Ranger frames. They put the lens a bit higher on the face. And they cut the lenses so that the center of focus is up a bit, since most shooting has your head down, looking out of the top of the lens.

The lenses are quickly interchangeable, so you can have multiple sets and swap for changing conditions. I normally have brown for bright days (brown enhances contrast), yellow for indoors or cloudy days, and target purple for clays.

You can call and talk to very knowledgeable people about YOUR needs.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I'm very near sighted too. I actually got my shooting/safety glasses from the Wal Mart optical department. They are true safety glasses with prescription lenses and they didn't break the bank.

Never had an issue with ear pro as long as the "muff" was padded and soft.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Wearing muffs while shooting long guns doesn't really work for me. I wear ear plugs then put muffs on over them when necessary. That way if there are issues with the muffs, my hearing is still protected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom