• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    So, on sale for $99 for both the auto BCG and 120rnd mini can of xm855, it seems like a pretty good deal. Thoughts? I need a BCG for my build and I have zero .223/5.56 ammo and at least midway has that can of ammo for $50 on its own and seems to have the BCG for $80 a lot of times.

Anyone have experience with PSA BCGs?

cb1980

Jul 25, 2016
    I hopped on the deal even though I don't need a bcg right now, I do plan on another AR soon and figured for the price including the ammo I might as well pull the trigger.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    I hopped on the deal even though I don't need a bcg right now, I do plan on another AR soon and figured for the price including the ammo I might as well pull the trigger.
    :D It is so tempting for me too, but I tend to stockpile one type of ammo for each caliber just to be consistent when it comes to accuracy. I don't have any xm855, so I'm passing on this deal. If I had decided to stockpile xm855, I'd jump on this.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    My thing is I don't have anywhere to shoot xm855 right now, but I'd like a bit of it just because. So I guess I hop on the deal. At least until I find a place I can shoot it, the 120rnd can might be all I ever buy of it

Edit - yeah, I said screw it and ordered it. I can't recall their regular price on that BCG, but it is cheaper than a lot of entry level BCGs, or the same price as many entry level ones, with a free 120rnds of ammo. Either way, good deal.

Now I just need a charging handle, upper receiver, upper parts kit, gas tube, gas block, sights and hand guards and I can assemble my AR! I have all the other little bits

cb1980

Jul 25, 2016
    :D It is so tempting for me too, but I tend to stockpile one type of ammo for each caliber just to be consistent when it comes to accuracy. I don't have any xm855, so I'm passing on this deal. If I had decided to stockpile xm855, I'd jump on this.

Mike, I have an LWRC and it doesn't seem to be picky with brass ammo, I have shot several different brands and grains out of it with zero issues, I haven't shot any steel case ammo and likely won't, my homebuilt AR is a little pickier even though it has a 1 and 7 twist barrel too, it hates steel case and i have only shot XM193 and XM855 out of it in high volume, i have shot match grade and hornady with no issues

My thing is I don't have anywhere to shoot xm855 right now, but I'd like a bit of it just because. So I guess I hop on the deal. At least until I find a place I can shoot it, the 120rnd can might be all I ever buy of it

Edit - yeah, I said screw it and ordered it. I can't recall their regular price on that BCG, but it is cheaper than a lot of entry level BCGs, or the same price as many entry level ones, with a free 120rnds of ammo. Either way, good deal.

Now I just need a charging handle, upper receiver, upper parts kit, gas tube, gas block, sights and hand guards and I can assemble my AR! I have all the other little bits

sounds like you are well on your way! I figured for the price it was worth taking the leap and I could always use more XM855...not sure of the regular price of the bolt but I would assume probably atleast $130 or more

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    Mike, I have an LWRC and it doesn't seem to be picky with brass ammo, I have shot several different brands and grains out of it with zero issues, I haven't shot any steel case ammo and likely won't, my homebuilt AR is a little pickier even though it has a 1 and 7 twist barrel too, it hates steel case and i have only shot XM193 and XM855 out of it in high volume, i have shot match grade and hornady with no issues
    I think I see what you're saying and maybe I should confess that I've never shot xm855 out my AR. I don't know what the difference in accuracy would be between those two rounds. If I can interchange them without having to resight my rifle, I'd really be happy. I have shot xm193 and 223 out of my AR15 and I've experienced differences in accuracy, even though the weights of the bullets were the same. I've settled on xm193 for my 5.56 rifle. I've also settled on a specific 223 for a bolt action 223 that I own (varmit hunting). I've never fired xm855. Maybe others with more AR experience than me (I'm truly a newbe here) can offer more guidance.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    It depends on what you are going for. At least in the .308 world, swapping between 150 and 165gr bullets, yeah I'd need to resight my scope. However I also have the settings written down for a few types of ammo. Just going from one 150gr to a different 150gr throws it off

By throwing it off I mean it is off by as much as 2 inches at 100yds between one brand of "high power" 150gr and one brand of "low power" 165gr. If I were hunting deer, not enough to worry about. Same with target shooting inside 200.

I'd assume the same between xm193 and xm855. You'll be an inch or maybe 2 off at 100. If running a sight, it isn't that hard to just write down the comp and dial it in and then either leave it or set it back to what you normally shoot. That is what I am doing with my Ruger 10/22. It is dialed for minimags and zeroed for 50yds. The most comp I've had to dial in is 2 clicks right and 7 clicks up between the minimag setting and SV ammo (a half in inch right and 1.75" up). I do set it back after every session. Sometimes I don't dial in a comp and just deal with putting my groups an inch or so off the bullseye

Irons I don't think I'd want to mess with every time, especially if I didn't have a rear sight with click adjustments.

cb1980

Jul 25, 2016
    from what i have read, especially with my guns having a 1 and 7 twist barrel, the higher the grain the more accurate the shots will become, so my guess is, since I sighted it in using 55 grain, 62 should be better if only by a nominal amount, and if I step up to something in the mid 70's or higher grain I should see a noticeable improvement in the ammo. the LWRC operators guide says that the gun is test fired for accuracy using XM193 or XM855 but for best results and groupings to use either match grade or a higher grain ammo

I still have to work on final adjustments but I sighted in at 50 yards and was hitting just under the bullseye and keeping tight groups of around 1.25 inches when firing off 5 round groups, and doing pretty similar at 100 yards, beyond that was sketchy but I was still hitting steel at 200 yard, and this is with iron sights as I haven't decided on which optic / scope to buy

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom