PSA - Don't get angry when the Loctite won't budge.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    Not a mark on the frame.

School of the American Dremel...
    Classes will be on Wednesday. You supply the Dremel the firearm. Fear and tears are extra.
    28f7e4946f1a1715bd049c9b5ddc900b.jpg

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    The results may not justify the means but the job is done without damaging the good parts so good job. We tell the apprentices, don't make it worse with regards to "fixing" something.

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    The results may not justify the means but the job is done without damaging the good parts so good job. We tell the apprentices, don't make it worse with regards to "fixing" something.

That is good advise. After busting out the Dremel, I just had to laugh about it. There are worse problems in life.

Its a combination of impatience, determination, and unwillingness to seek help beyond Googling something. Also, It was satisflying to destroy that mount. I really hated that thing.

What I don't get is I really heated the thing up, with a soldering iron, to loosen the Loctite. I did hit it with a tap too so it should have broken free. Makes me wonder what is going to happen when I try and loosen the other parts.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    That is good advise. After busting out the Dremel, I just had to laugh about it. There are worse problems in life.

Its a combination of impatience, determination, and unwillingness to seek help beyond Googling something. Also, It was satisflying to destroy that mount. I really hated that thing.

What I don't get is I really heated the thing up, with a soldering iron, to loosen the Loctite. I did hit it with a tap too so it should have broken free. Makes me wonder what is going to happen when I try and loosen the other parts.

It was aluminum, right? Aluminum can be really weird. In addition to galvanic corrosion (which is highly unlikely on a well maintained firearm), it can gall and hold onto fasteners with uncanny strength.

Your applied effort to destruction ratio seems a little off. I think you need a plasma cutter ;)

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I wouldn’t fret over your application of the blue loctite. GM uses it on some of the bolts holding the case halves of transmissions together. I have encountered those bolts being a real b—-h to remove. Thank goidness used a grade 8 equivilent, 12 point bolt and I had a good Snap On 12 point socket. And a long breaker bar.

Last edited:

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    Rule #1 don’t use loctite on scope mounts or rings. Ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    So should I have just gotten a different mount? Without loctite it would loosen after maybe 20-30 rounds. I thought blue loctite was the go to solution

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    So should I have just gotten a different mount? Without loctite it would loosen after maybe 20-30 rounds. I thought blue loctite was the go to solution

IIRC when I took a class with Ed Shell, he said as long as screws are properly torqued to manufacturer specs he’s never had one come loose.

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    IIRC when I took a class with Ed Shell, he said as long as screws are properly torqued to manufacturer specs he’s never had one come loose.

Well, I think this would have been his first.

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    I don't know who Ed Shell is and I don't mean to sound like I'm dismissing this person but I used a Wheeler torque wrench to get 12 lbs of torque. What else do you do?

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    I don't know who Ed Shell is and I don't mean to sound like I'm dismissing this person but I used a Wheeler torque wrench to get 12 lbs of torque. What else do you do?

Probably not the best QC controlled product that you had the unfortunate experience with. Crappy tapped screw holes and screws themselves.

I have the same issue with the external choke cylinder on my TriStar ATAC. After a few rounds of buckshot; the choke would start unscrewing. It's absolutely Maddening. I think I fixed it's goose good though with a liberal amount of blue Loctite. We shall see :innocent0

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland

Referencing this for the OP. This is valid for properly sized threads both on the screw and in the companion screw hole. If anything was not properly sized the screws will work loose. In your case this seems probable.0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom