• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    I don't have the post thread but remember folks there was someone charged a few years ago that did this same thing as a trainer. I remember him being a cop or retired cop.

Do not get into that type of situation, it is easy to be swayed.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I believe statistics reveal no difference in outcomes between states with rigorous training and no training at all. Frankly, I'd like to see a basic civics test for voting...
    And to stand for elected office. Please god, make politicians have to take a basic civics test.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    I don't have the post thread but remember folks there was someone charged a few years ago that did this same thing as a trainer. I remember him being a cop or retired cop.

Do not get into that type of situation, it is easy to be swayed.
    It was a cop on the take and it’s a federal case now.

I have never accepted or offered a bribe, but if I did, I’d probably insist on cash instead of using an electronic payment method like this cop did.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    In the course that I'm enrolled, the first day is the NRA basic pistol course. Well shit, I could teach that course if I wanted to.
    A one day class should be enough to satisfy The State. A second day is not going to make you a professional pistoleer. That's what training is for. I am fine with the live fire aspect though. That should be the governing factor for pass or fail.

The Utah course is just a couple hours. Nothing else. Has anyone heard or read about massive problems involving Utah carriers?

My 2 cents

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    I view it as a $275 tax that takes up an entire weekend. I'm all for training, but let's face it, the sole and absolutely only reason I'm taking training this weekend is so I can get my CCW permit. I will be attentive, and I hope to learn a few things, but I don't care if we play checkers with gun parts, have gun part bingo, or just sit there and watch paint dry - I'm there for one reason only: the state says I need this course to get my CCW.
    I agree, however my carry experience has been limited with a FLA permit I have had for 20 years. When I do acquire a Md. permit I will seek out additional training on my own, I will also take my EDC firearm to the range more often than the past. It would be nice if the renewal process allowed the permit holder to choose specialty classes that are more advanced.

platekiller

Ultimate Member
    Jun 7, 2011
    Martinsburg, WV
    In the course that I'm enrolled, the first day is the NRA basic pistol course. Well shit, I could teach that course if I wanted to.
    A one day class should be enough to satisfy The State. A second day is not going to make you a professional pistoleer. That's what training is for. I am fine with the live fire aspect though. That should be the governing factor for pass or fail.

The Utah course is just a couple hours. Nothing else. Has anyone heard or read about massive problems involving Utah carriers?

My 2 cents
    Wv doesn’t require a permit at all and there aren’t any massive problems. I’ve had my WV permit since 2014 and can carry in like 40 some states with that. It’s bs that I have to take 2 days and spend a ton of money if I want to carry in the only state I go where my permit isn’t valid. I’m cool with having to show I can hit a target.

With all the updates to learning in the last couple years, can’t they do a virtual course? Or how about a video like I had to watch before I could buy my first pistol in MD.

Jimgoespewpew

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2021
    Terlingua
    You know what's ********? All of us who already have our hql shouldn't have to do two days of instruction. We already did the first day's worth. There should be a bridge course that only takes eight hours and 100 rounds to complete and costs $150 or less.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    When I went skydiving, we had a 4 hour course, followed by 2 hours of trial jumps and equipment use. Then we flew to 3,000 feet and jumped by ourselves. No one died.

Most folks can learn how to use and holster a gun in less time than that without shooting themselves or an innocent bystander. There is no way you can teach someone when they need to use a gun. The 16 hour course is just another tax and hurdle that Maryland has used to deny folks their constitutional right. It will eventually be struck down in the courts.

For now though, 16 hours of training is part of the process and it needs to be completed. It's a nuisance and an unnecessary cost to many, but until the law is changed we are stuck with it.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    You can NEVER legislate or train away: stupidity, ignorance or evil.

never. gonna. happen.

proficiency is a journey and wrt deadly force, a necessity imo

difference between education and training is training should require some demonstration and participation whereas education is largely sedentary and requires no physical component.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    You know what's ********? All of us who already have our hql shouldn't have to do two days of instruction. We already did the first day's worth. There should be a bridge course that only takes eight hours and 100 rounds to complete and costs $150 or less.
    This. And I think we need to push a change in the law to make it happen.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    All of us that love freedom agree that it should be 0 hours. But all wanted to be in this place in time. It will keep a lot of people out of the MSP system the cost & time

hillbilly grandpa

Jan 26, 2013
    Arnold
    I am starting to see courses offered by instructors who are taking shortcuts in instruction, even worse charging a high price for a "shorter than legal" course. I have no issue with including a lunch break, regular breaks in the instruction, and even maybe finishing a LITTLE early if the course is full of superstars, but not charging premium money for a 16 hours course that only lasts 12 at the most.
    Fairly recently an individual got in a good bit of trouble for fraudulently approving students for HQL and Permits, In my opinion some instructors are playing a dangerous game with the requirements. I have had a few individuals call me to talk about class who just wanted only the minimum, I told them my class probably wasn't a good fit.
    As always, research the course and instructor and find what's best for you. There are a lot of good instructors offering classes. You deserve the best training. Stay Safe, TD
    This.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    Wv doesn’t require a permit at all and there aren’t any massive problems. I’ve had my WV permit since 2014 and can carry in like 40 some states with that. It’s bs that I have to take 2 days and spend a ton of money if I want to carry in the only state I go where my permit isn’t valid. I’m cool with having to show I can hit a target.

With all the updates to learning in the last couple years, can’t they do a virtual course? Or how about a video like I had to watch before I could buy my first pistol in MD.
    Virtual learning for something as "Hands on" as this is a bad idea. Period.
    TD

jef955

MDS Supporter
    Feb 26, 2011
    Maryland

My 2 cents
    I think we're signed up for the same class - Damascus? The intent from what I'm told, is to see who the more confidant shooters are, giving the instructors a better idea going into the second day who needs additional help or not. I also already have basic pistol, rifle, ppih, and used it for my Florida permit.

I think 8 hours would be good, 16 a bit much. At least thats my opinion..

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I think we're signed up for the same class - Damascus? The intent from what I'm told, is to see who the more confidant shooters are, giving the instructors a better idea going into the second day who needs additional help or not. I also already have basic pistol, rifle, ppih, and used it for my Florida permit.

I think 8 hours would be good, 16 a bit much. At least thats my opinion..
    See you there! I won't be hard to spot...

clown shoes.jpg

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    I am starting to see courses offered by instructors who are taking shortcuts in instruction, even worse charging a high price for a "shorter than legal" course. I have no issue with including a lunch break, regular breaks in the instruction, and even maybe finishing a LITTLE early if the course is full of superstars, but not charging premium money for a 16 hours course that only lasts 12 at the most.
    Fairly recently an individual got in a good bit of trouble for fraudulently approving students for HQL and Permits, In my opinion some instructors are playing a dangerous game with the requirements. I have had a few individuals call me to talk about class who just wanted only the minimum, I told them my class probably wasn't a good fit.
    As always, research the course and instructor and find what's best for you. There are a lot of good instructors offering classes. You deserve the best training. Stay Safe, TD
    so, no Evelyn Wood courses. ok. :P

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    See you there! I won't be hard to spot...

View attachment 372268

*****Haha! I might be one of the guys teaching the class or doing RSO work during the range portion of the class! I cannot believe we sold out all spots to our classes within mebbe 24 hours of the Bruen announcement!

Look forward to seeing everyone. I'm easy enough to spot... Soon to be 13" arms after today's Pastrami sandwich at Essen house!!! I'm usually also reading my therapy book in between sections while the other instructors do their portion of the class... :innocent0

g1.jpg

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    so, no Evelyn Wood courses. ok. :P
    *****Haha! I might be one of the guys teaching the class or doing RSO work during the range portion of the class! I cannot believe we sold out all spots to our classes within mebbe 24 hours of the Bruen announcement!

Look forward to seeing everyone. I'm easy enough to spot... Soon to be 13" arms after today's Pastrami sandwich at Essen house!!! I'm usually also reading my therapy book in between sections while the other instructors do their portion of the class... :innocent0

View attachment 372270
    So, short hand(s) and long..."guns" can co-mingle?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bapple

Latest threads

Top Bottom