• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Major03

Ultimate Member
    I used to believe that reasonable compromise was the solution. Find the middle ground. I have come to understand that compromise is never going to work. "They" do not want compromise, they do not want me or you to have guns. It's not about the children or safety or stopping criminals. They do not understand and therefore fear ALL guns.
    I am much more comfortable with "from my cold dead hands" now.

Absolutely, no disagreement in regards to their over arching goal.

I understand the allure of the "from my cold dead hands" statement.

But the path they'll take to accomplishing their goal is to paint you and I as an irrational and unstable paranoid nut who can't be trusted with exercising our right.

Much like an insurgency, the people are the prize. IMO, we have to start being smarter about our own campaign to frame the issue to the public at large. Right now, we are reacting to our opposition...we have to take back the initiative.

I don't mean conceding on any issue, but I do mean we need to control the language and images used to frame this debate to the public at large to the extent that we can (especially hard since the MSM is against us).

I just think we should give them less ammunition to use against us.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    I used to believe that reasonable compromise was the solution. Find the middle ground. I have come to understand that compromise is never going to work. "They" do not want compromise, they do not want me or you to have guns. It's not about the children or safety or stopping criminals. They do not understand and therefore fear ALL guns.

And so are they. They have taken a lesson from the Koran and as far as they are concerned we can convert or be cut down in our homes ala Coumo.

ccarson

I'm old school
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 28, 2013
    Montgomery County
    Absolutely, no disagreement in regards to their over arching goal.

I understand the allure of the "from my cold dead hands" statement.

But the path they'll take to accomplishing their goal is to paint you and I as an irrational and unstable paranoid nut who can't be trusted with exercising our right.

Much like an insurgency, the people are the prize. IMO, we have to start being smarter about our own campaign to frame the issue to the public at large. Right now, we are reacting to our opposition...we have to take back the initiative.

I don't mean conceding on any issue, but I do mean we need to control the language and images used to frame this debate to the public at large to the extent that we can (especially hard since the MSM is against us).

I just think we should give them less ammunition to use against us.

All good points and we would be better served if we changed some of the verbiage used on both sides
    I am tired of hearing 'assault weapon' 'military style' and even "common sense"
    No more buzz words and generalities

Sharpeneddark

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    Westminster
    I think the idea of 'an armed society is a polite society' angle is the best. Since leaving the military in '07, I have not had a firearm in my possession and never owned anything before I went to a gun show in Jan of '13. I was surprised on how courteous everyone was. People observed lanes of traffic, like driving a car, so movement was orderly. If you were bumped into, you got a brief apology in quiet tones. No screaming, no shoving. It was awesome in the old meaning of the word.

Everyone was willing to give me tips on this and that, sharing their experiences, giving recommendations, etc. It certainly made a newcomer welcome. The process repeated when I got my gun at the FFL and I met some really cool people at gun rallies.

I wish I could buy groceries and electronics at gun shows. It's much easier to deal with than malls. By far. There wasn't very much of the "out of my way" mentality.

As for the comments about 'common sense'. I would love to see what common sense is defined as. Because common courtesy is in scarce supply (to the point where one could argue that it's no longer common). Sense seems to be equally as scarce.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

We should never compromise. There is no compromise on Fundamental Rights. Ever. You can sway opinions on the matter. One of my partners is going shooting this weekend with his wife. He was never interested before, and got a shotgun for home defense. We have a Nurse Practitioner in my office who went to UC Berkley (need I say more?). I'm taking her shooting soon, and she is interested in getting something for home defense. That took years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom