• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    I just picked up a used ATV from a friend at work, the price was too good to pass up. Are there any public trails in or near the central MD area? I see trails in Garret County, and some in southern MD. The Hatfield and McCoy trails in W. VA. also look god, but I don't see anything around my immediate area that I can find.

wlc

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    good luck with that, i looked into this and couldn't find many legal trails in the state, so I dropped the idea of buying an ATV
    Plenty of places to ride, they just may not be legal

Hotrod Diesel

Here for the Beer...
    Mar 7, 2012
    Parkville
    That's why mine our gone. There are many public ohv trails in va, search online. You will be driving 2 hours into pa, 2 hours into va, or riding illegally.

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    In SoMD off of Budds Creek Rd, there is an ATV park. Probably the one you saw already.

I commend you for actually searching out a legal place to ride. A lot of jerks don't take the time to do that and piss off a lot of non-riders.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    When house shopping you could find a place with miles of private rd backing up to a swamp with miles of trails. Another bonus is shooting in the back yard and hunting the back 5.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    yep few and far between. used to have an 18 mile loop in greenridge state forest but that got closed down last year.

the nicest trail out in garrett also was closed last year. there are a few others out there but all but one are very short, the one is maybe 5-6 miles.

http://dnr.maryland.gov/publiclands/orv.asp

Rock Run has a bunch of trails, easy to hard, smooth to rock, but like everything else, not very close: http://www.rockrunrecreation.com

the link doesn't appear to be working, but a great trail up in marienville, PA, again a ways away: http://www.fs.usda.gov/allegheny/recreation/atv_trails/marienville/

penna has some other atv (no dirtbikes allowed) trails. michaux is the closest, it's fun but pretty rocky. you need to get a permit/license to ride on the state/fed trails in penna: http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry/atv/atvindex.aspx

tech24

HP rifle shooter
    Dec 15, 2011
    Frederick, MD
    not much left I'm afraid. Mountain Ridge in PA has many trails and is cheap. Its a good drive but worth it. Don't bother with somd atv...its a joke for the ever increasing cost but worth the trip at least once I suppose. Never been anywhere in VA so can't help there. I like to ride motocross so tomahawk mx is where we spend a lot of time. They do have a woods loop thats rough and may be worth checking out. Or you can ride the tracks (not sure what kind of atv you got). Hatfield is heaven, we try to get there for a week once a year and if thats the only time I ever got to ride it would be fine. I suggest going there for sure as there is no better place on the east coast.

Good luck I'll post some more if I think of them. I'm trying to concince my wife we need to move to nevada. I simply love it out there and 80% of the damn state is free game and the desert is sooooo fun. But I have gambling issues so we are still here :(

Moneymaker

Mar 7, 2012
    College Park, MD
    The ride to the hatfield McCoy trails in WVA is well worth it. It is relatively cheap to stay in a little town called Man, WVA. Last time I went a 1 year permit was only $50. Have fun!

tech24

HP rifle shooter
    Dec 15, 2011
    Frederick, MD
    still 50 bucks too! We stay at ashland resort but mostly because of all the outlaw trails in that area. Many options for lodging. Oh and LOCK YOUR SHIT UP! Atv theft is a problem down there. They will tell you it isn't but mine and 1 other was taken 2 years ago when I was there. They even moved my brand new 2010 yz450 to steal my clapped out raptor...right next to me and my 9mm under my pillow (too much wiskey that night). I've talked to several people that also had stuff taken....razors and even full trailers.

saigafreak

Jul 29, 2011
    I own some land near Oakland that has a large ATV and hunting area, but I'm afraid it's a gated community. There are folks selling non-buildable plots there for pretty cheap due to the housing collapse and it would provide a lot of opportunity to enjoy outdoor activities (no camping on plot though).

w2kbr

MSI EM, NRA LM, SAF, AAFG
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 13, 2009
    Severn 21144
    By the way....

I'm also looking for a used ATV...at a half decent price..2x4 or 4x4

Partial to Hondas, but will consider all

R

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    This is the reason I ended up selling all of my ATVs. It is hard to find a decent place to ride. If you do, you spend an hour or two to load up and drive. You get to ride for a few hours. Then you drive home, fuel, wash, and unload for a couple of hours. You end up spending more time working and driving than you do riding. I will buy more ATVs when I buy a house with enough land to ride.

Ovechtrick

Mar 7, 2011
    Montgomery County
    I usually go to Green Ridge State Forest up near Frostburg. They have an 18 mile loop that is pretty fun. It is managed by the DNR and a yearly permit costs around $15. I haven't been in over a year so I'm not sure if that is still the cost. What kind of ATV did you pick up?

tech24

HP rifle shooter
    Dec 15, 2011
    Frederick, MD
    I usually go to Green Ridge State Forest up near Frostburg. They have an 18 mile loop that is pretty fun. It is managed by the DNR and a yearly permit costs around $15. I haven't been in over a year so I'm not sure if that is still the cost. What kind of ATV did you pick up?

its been shut down for a while now...used to go there all the time. I've heard rumors of it re-opening but have my doubts

Last edited:

steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy

yeah I grew up in Hancock and am very familiar with Greenridge, used to hunt there some. I checked them out first, but then I read where their ATV trails were permanently closed last year.

got an 01 grizzly 600 with a plow. the guy used it to plow his driveway for a few years and nothing else. garage kept and it looks barely used. he bought a snowblower a couple years ago and decided he didn't need this anymore.

my neighbor has 2 atv's, and I have a 6x10 trailer, maybe I can talk him into heading down to Hatfield/McCoy in W. VA. or up to Garrett county for a day of fun.

Thanks to everyone for all the info and suggestions.

Marshmallow

Feb 4, 2012
    There is no legal public atv riding or 4wheeling in Maryland.

Greenridge was closed due to a guy on a snowmobile getting hurt and trying to sue. It will not re open.

DNR is working on finding a place for atv use but it will most likely be to the far edges out west.

Tower city up in PA has some great atv riding. Worth the drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Drake1990$

Latest threads

Top Bottom