• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TAstro

Dec 8, 2015
    I know what they say about not giving away your hunting/fishing spot.. but.. Does anybody want to help me out with some recommendations about which public lands are worthwhile scouting. It is very close to the season and I am just now getting out to do some scouting, which will limit the number of times I can scout, so I would like to narrow it down to a few recommendations. Last year I hunted Tuckahoe a few times with no success. But that was my first year and my 'teacher' did not know a whole lot anyway.

I hunt with a crossbow, muzzleloader and shotgun, from a climber or ground blind (if necessary/possible). I am located in AA county, near the bridge, but I do not mind a decent drive. Any advice would be appreciated.

Tuckawhore (as we call it) is productive,you just have to be patient which is usually the case with all public land.IMO,the shore is more forgiving then the western part of the state.Out west ,Warrior Mtn. and Sideling Hill get my vote for best chances at deer and least chance of being a statistic.

On the shore,Millington and Idylwild are decent.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Depends how far you are willing to drive, and whether you are willing to join a club or pay the state $35 managed hunt fee. You can hunt Patuxent Refuge, if you join. You can also hunt Patapsco (fee is $35). Might be drive for you, but I've got quite a few deer in Patapsco. If you are willing to drive to other side of D.C, Seneca and Rockville have oodles of deer per per sq mile, there are a few parks there.

TAstro

Dec 8, 2015
    I don't mind driving up to 1.5 or 2 hours. I am looking at Blackwater, that is likely 1 hour 15 minutes, I don't mind. I am going to be checking all the suggestions out

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Tuckahoe is nice, seen deer never shot one there though. Horses and hikers are sometimes a problem in the early season.

Cunningham Falls SP is where I did quite a bit of public hunting. Usually 3/4 of the way up the mountain or all the way up near the powerlines. Worthwhile it if you can go during the week Mon - Thur not much pressure, forget Fri & Sat during firearms season, unless you go very early and hike way back in. That way the others push the deer to you.

GunnerGunz

Sunken Treasure
    Mar 2, 2010
    Reisterstown
    Tuckahoe is nice, seen deer never shot one there though. Horses and hikers are sometimes a problem in the early season.

Cunningham Falls SP is where I did quite a bit of public hunting. Usually 3/4 of the way up the mountain or all the way up near the powerlines. Worthwhile it if you can go during the week Mon - Thur not much pressure, forget Fri & Sat during firearms season, unless you go very early and hike way back in. That way the others push the deer to you.

Im new to hunting this year and going to try Frederick and Cunningham for rabbit. I also hear there are some marshes for duck hunting somewhere in these areas which I will take a look at.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Im new to hunting this year and going to try Frederick and Cunningham for rabbit. I also hear there are some marshes for duck hunting somewhere in these areas which I will take a look at.

Yeah I was going to take a couple of days of to try Cunningham for squirrels and rabbit this year. Patuxent can be decent, but by General firearm season it is so pressured there are basically no deer in the park during daylight hours. It is pretty narrow is part of the issue (about a quarter mile to at most half a mile wide, but it is about 15 miles long).

Frederick city water shed could maybe be good for small game early, but it gets hunted like crazy (emphasis on crazy hunters) during deer season and I saw nothing when I tried squirrel hunting in mid December.

dweng272

Aug 29, 2016
    First post here on the forum. I suggest focus on crossbow deer hunting specially if you are not hunting other experience hunters. I started learning deer hunt with firearm, but I didn't get my first deer until I start hunting with my crossbow. Two places near Baltimore Loch Raven and Liberty I think are nice. Just needs to apply for a free permits and proper license. Hope this help.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    In 10+ active years of hunting there, spanning more than 20 years on and off. I can't remember ever seeing a single rabbit at Cunningham. Remember it is starting to get mountainous terrain there. Plenty of squirrel, fox,and crows, not to mention deer.

Tuckahoe has rabbit. Although that may be a bit far.

TAstro

Dec 8, 2015
    Work has been down right crazy, but tomorrow I will be taking the entire day to go scout. I also applied to hunt at Blackwater, and will probably scout out some places all over the eastern shore this coming week. I appreciate the help and willl post back my results

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    roth405

Latest threads

Top Bottom