• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeganrocks

Feb 5, 2012
    Howard County, MD
    Where does one go to shoot a rifle at a public range? My son just purchased a Mossberg 464 30-30 and will want to test fire it soon. I'm not ready to pay for another membership, yet. Just curious where would be the closest public range. I'm in Howard County. I know I will have to bite the bullet and join one of the AGC affiliated clubs, but not at this time. Thanks in advance.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Hap Baker in Carroll County. The only "issue" is that they are on their winter hours, open only Fri-Sun or Sat-Sun.

Search for Hap Baker and you should get a location.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    You could go to Cresap just off Rt-70 east of Frederick. They're open on Sundays only this time of the year and have about 16 pistol lanes (10 and 25 yds), and 20 rifle lanes (50 and 100 yds).

Very cost effective!

Welcome to the forum!

http://www.cresaprifleclub.com/

jeganrocks

Feb 5, 2012
    Howard County, MD
    Hap Baker in Carroll County. The only "issue" is that they are on their winter hours, open only Fri-Sun or Sat-Sun.

Search for Hap Baker and you should get a location.

Found it, thanks. Never been to outside public range. Besides, rifle and ammo, what does one usually bring? Paper targets, etc....

axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    Hap Baker sells targets and they have staplers and spotting scopes on each lane but of course you're welcome to bring your own. Bring ear and eye protection. Be there early to get a lane. If you show up on Saturday or Sunday at opening time you will be waiting, sometimes for a while for the rifle range.

I like it there but you can't practice prone so I'll be joining an AGC club pretty soon.

LoneRanger

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 22, 2009
    Hap Baker sells targets and they have staplers and spotting scopes on each lane but of course you're welcome to bring your own. Bring ear and eye protection. Be there early to get a lane. If you show up on Saturday or Sunday at opening time you will be waiting, sometimes for a while for the rifle range.

I like it there but you can't practice prone so I'll be joining an AGC club pretty soon.

I have seen folks shooting prone at Hap Baker on several occasions....not sure if it is a membership has it's privilege thing or just a matter of getting to know the RO's.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD

You are always welcome to join Monumental Rifle and Pistol Club !

NY Transplant

Wabbit Season/Duck Season
    Apr 2, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I have seen folks shooting prone at Hap Baker on several occasions....not sure if it is a membership has it's privilege thing or just a matter of getting to know the RO's.

When I want to shoot other than on the bench, I ask the RO's first to get their OK and I usually get the go ahead.

axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    Good to know but the space doesn't really fit the kinds of things I'd want to practice. The brass catching nets would kind of get in the way of having a spotting scope next to me and moving on and off of a mat.

jeganrocks

Feb 5, 2012
    Howard County, MD
    Thanks all for all of the info, just got back from hap baker. Only yelled at once at the end by the older RO, younger one was much patient and helpful.

All I say is that we need a lot more practice with iron sights! Still a lot of fun.

Lostfantum

Ultimate Member
    Nov 27, 2007
    Middle River, Maryland
    That was last year. If you come on weekend get there early. Range has been very busy the past several weekends. Remember bring a Target stand,and pick up your brass and trash and take with you when finished.

Rockerspsl

Apr 10, 2011
    Glen Burnie, MD
    I've never had issues getting a lane or two at Elk Neck on the weekends. And I always go with 2 to 6 friends, so we can easily take up half the range when people don't mind.

jeganrocks

Feb 5, 2012
    Howard County, MD
    Last friday, arrived at Hap Baker at 10:05am, still an hour wait. The old RO was in a good mood, no yelling. Next time, I need to remember to bring some pistols so wait can be bearable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom