• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    A swat team would surround you in this state.

It would be funny if I couldn't picture it happening......

thats sad! i truly do miss the good ole days. when i was younger i can remember everyone doing just that. as soon as i got my licence to drive i gut a truck just so i could do that. i never took those three guns out of the rack, except to use them, for years and years. it was only after i started working up the road that i took them out because i didnt want to have my truck broken into. and now in this state i guess i wouldnt make a mile out of the farm road before i would be pulled over. sad i tell ya sad.

sessojb

Dec 29, 2011
    Churchton, MD
    I'd like to say thank you to SS396, clandestine and mpdc4511. I sincerely appreciate your insight, experience and advice. Oh and your service to our communities! I don't get pulled over very often. But when I do, my responses are ...."yes sir, no sir" etc. :-)

SS396

Forum LEO whipping post
    Aug 19, 2013
    Frederick County
    I'd like to say thank you to SS396, clandestine and mpdc4511. I sincerely appreciate your insight, experience and advice. Oh and your service to our communities! I don't get pulled over very often. But when I do, my responses are ...."yes sir, no sir" etc. :-)

Thank you. I do appreciate that. I've made many mistakes in my career and I've tried to learn from them, and prevent others from making them. While I take great pride in what I do, I'm an American first. Thanks again.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    There is a MSP database that can be queried by any LEO with access to METERS and the public safety dashboard. As far as the officer linking to it off his cell phone then he could be disciplined for use of the system if it was determined not for official use

As far as training for LEO's there is no way that every law can be taught in great detail especially in the police academy in such a short amount of time. I did not learn or get to examine the ins and outs of every law in the academy. The are other objectives that need to be met through the training commission in order to graduate the police academy. Occasionally during annual in-service we have a legal update by our great:sarcasm: assistant AG who sometimes barely can interpret the law herself. I make it a habit to keep up to date on firearm laws in addition to other laws not only to keep aware of what the GA in Annapolis is trying to do to restrict my rights as a citizen but also to be aware of the vague wording while enforcing such laws as not to violate anyone's ability to remain a lawful citizen and firearm owner. If you are engage in another prohibited crime or a POS then it's a different story.

I have encountered numerous people in possession of firearms while working on the interstate from both Maryland and out of state residents. Most people will tell be they have a gun in the car. Even some prohibited drug smuggling dirt bags have told me they have a loaded firearm in the car. All I will say is I have never arrested anyone who was a law abiding citizen transporting a firearm whether a resident or not. There is a thing called discretion and I use it wisely and I'll leave it at that. Most of the time I have established a trust with the person and end up having a conversation about firearms in general. Most have even stated obviously without you stating it officer you are pro gun. It was stated it was possibly a rookie who made the stop. Rookies will ask some off the wall questions simply because they are not completely versed in all aspects of criminal or traffic law. In time most will come to know that they made errors earlier in their careers. Trust me on this because I have field trained some guys and girls and ask them where did they learn some things they stated was written in law. Usually they are left to interpret what they haven't learned on their own. We as LEO's are only human despite some popular beliefs by so members here. Regardless of a career path chosen, not every professional knows every aspect of the the subject matter. I work primarily criminal interdiction and deal with verbal and not verbal clues of human behavior as a tool. I will ask some crazy questions not pertaining to a law just to gauge someone's reaction to my presence. Maybe the trooper was as people call fishing or maybe not. The fact is all ended well and maybe the new guy just needs a little more training on the wording of law or the lack of educated wording placed in it by some of the clowns in Annapolis.

Another enlightening post. Appreciate the insight shared by you and the other LEOs in this thread with this online firearms community, in a professional and collected manner. You often might hear the loudest voices in these threads (and some could have legitimate concerns based on past experiences), but it doesn't mean that many more haven't read and learned something from what you've shared.

I am however withholding judgment on your choice of avatar ...

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    I never said you don't have the right to. By all means exercise your right if you choose; just understand that in the scenario presented, it may not be prudent. A little common sense goes a long way here fella's.

And I'm not disagreeing, but I'll keep the rest of my thoughts to myself. The insight is of course, appreciated.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD

Thank you, but I must clarify that I'm not LEO, I just know a ton of them due to my line of work. I listen to them and hear their experiences and try to learn from it.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    And many of us sincerely appreciate the information and perspective. :thumbsup:

With all the BS and negativity flowing on this board lately I wonder why any LEO's would stick around. Then again, I'm sure dealing with hardheaded know-it-alls is part of the job.

I think its because they know as I do, that there are far more readers than posters. And that many are in fact listening and learning..

I am really tired of the cop hatter crowd. They hurt us all.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I actually avoid traveling east of Washington County if I can help it. With or without firearms. It seems like the lunacy begins at the 70-270 interchange ...

Hey, I live pretty close to this interchange ... which I guess puts me at the lunatic fringe. :party29:

Rnbow1969, do remember your offer to come out to your place in the saner parts of MD this summer, and look forward to the opportunity when a good weekend presents itself. :thumbsup:

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    I've been pulled over with guns in the car even though I don't have a trunk, per se, and have never been questioned about them. I can only assume that even though they must know I have purchased regulated weapons in MD, I put them as far in the hatchback away from the drivers seat as possible and cover them up with other stuff so that NOTHING is visible.

I also have stickers or identifying features of no kind on my vehicle and all windows but the drivers, passengers and windshield are dark-tinted. Polite and respectful demeanor go a long way...and don't do, wear, display or say anything that begs questions. Have I been lucky? Perhaps, but I also have refused vehicle searches and had to submit to sobriety testing after previously drinking a beer or two(which I admitted to) and I still have my guns and freedom, such as they exist these days.

I understand that people like to shout out who they are loud & proud and wear their hobbies and political affiliations on their sleeves but unfortunately, we as gun owners are being forced into anonymity by a state(little and big "s") that considers us the enemy. Adapt and survive or don't be surprised when the head of your nail gets hammered down, fair or not.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    Hush now... Get back inline.

LEO wonders why they have the image they do and every single one of them who responded to this thread just continues to enforce that image. Always an excuse or justification as to why they're always right to do what they do or above the law (window tint being a good example).

See this not what they are doing. What they are doing is explaining how they think.. If we ever get ccw in this state we are going to need to reach a good understanding with the police.

How do we make sure the police can tell we are not a threat? We better solve this.. like it or not.. so let's start talking..

Compromise needs to be reached.

rwbow1969

Get Wiffit
    Dec 10, 2011
    Clearspring
    Hey, I live pretty close to this interchange ... which I guess puts me at the lunatic fringe. :party29:

Rnbow1969, do remember your offer to come out to your place in the saner parts of MD this summer, and look forward to the opportunity when a good weekend presents itself. :thumbsup:

Yes, you live very close to where the asshatedness..... begins..... That is now a word. :D

I look at it as " Good people stuck behind enemy lines " There are lots of good people there, I just don't like to visit.

All you have to do is get a hold of me and we can figure on a weekend that suits us. Slingin' Lead. :thumbsup:

N3YMY

Ultimate Member
    Jan 21, 2013
    Op did well. But he was being detained and questioned. Any idea why?
    I seriously doubt the cracked windshield for the stop.

More than likely a license plate scanner showed he was a gun owner.

Technology is neutral; it can be used for good; it can be used for evil.

Of late, it's use is more evil than good :sad20:

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I still see trucks with gun racks up here and some still carry guns. :D
    I still have a gun rack in my p/u and there are times, when hunting, that the 12ga rides shotgun right there.. sometimes into town for lunch, sometimes on the farm/s. In general I don't transport my long guns that way, but the option is there anytime I need it. I don't have a cap at times, don't have a extended cab, not a lot of places to put gear in my truck.. lol

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    I seriously doubt the cracked windshield for the stop.

More than likely a license plate scanner showed he was a gun owner.

Technology is neutral; it can be used for good; it can be used for evil.

Of late, it's use is more evil than good :sad20:

And you know this because you use license plate readers?

The database isn't linked.

aquashooter

Apr 17, 2013
    Monkey Co
    So my question to you would be, if myself as a law abiding citizen went through the same process as you, why should I not be issued a Maryland Concealed Carry Permit? In return, if the State requires me as a law abiding citizen to have a HQL, you as a retired LEO should be required to obtain one also. I also did not see in your annual certification requirements under LEOSA a background investigation. As you know, a majority of LEO's are law abiding, upstanding citizens, but some do go bad. I fully respect and thank you for your years of service, but there is a double standard in Maryland.

I also have a MD carry since I was a DC officer living in MD. ( And yes, I made numerous off-duty arrests.) I have to renew every 3 years and that includes a full background investigation, including finger printing which I pay for. Military retirees are also exempt from HQL. All military vets are exempt from the training requirement. Did you want to take away the benefits from all the Vets and retirees also?

GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones
    I still have a gun rack in my p/u and there are times, when hunting, that the 12ga rides shotgun right there.. sometimes into town for lunch, sometimes on the farm/s. In general I don't transport my long guns that way, but the option is there anytime I need it. I don't have a cap at times, don't have a extended cab, not a lot of places to put gear in my truck.. lol

Made me curious, yep, they're still available: http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...aps&hvadid=2835583876&ref=pd_sl_68mwnoo1sf_bb

When stationed in upstate NY during the '90s, took the hunter safety and archery courses. Window racks were encouraged as part of the curriculum. The rationalization given was that LEOs would prefer to know about the presence of firearms when their duties required them to approach vehicles. I miss those days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom