• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I recently picked up some 30-40 ammo and got about 80 rounds of reloads in the deal. Since I didn't reload them or know the person that did I decided to overcome my cheapness and pull the bullets and dump the powder. My kinetic puller got all the jacketed bullets in 1 or 2 whacks. The lead bullets are a different story, they aint budging. I hear that the RCBS collet bullet puller works great with jacketed bullets, not so much with lead.

Does anyone have any experience pulling stubborn lead bullets? I'm willing to sacrifice the bullets if need be.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    run in your press, push the ram with the cartridge in the cartridge holder all the way up to the top w/o any die in there. Bullet should be sticking out the top, Vice grips or channel locks to hold onto the bullet only, then lower the ram. make sure rim does not slide out as your lowering ram.
    Dump powder and move on.

Save the cases and trade in barter thread with someone who reloads 30-40 (like me :))

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    I have used the RCBS collets to pull lead bullets with little to no damage. You must use care and insure the collet is tight before trying to pull the bullet. If it is just a little loose, it may slip off and damage the bullet.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    run in your press, push the ram with the cartridge in the cartridge holder all the way up to the top w/o any die in there. Bullet should be sticking out the top, Vice grips or channel locks to hold onto the bullet only, then lower the ram. make sure rim does not slide out as your lowering ram.
    Dump powder and move on.

Save the cases and trade in barter thread with someone who reloads 30-40 (like me :))

This is my personal go to as well.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Dump powder and move on.

Worked like a charm. I can't believe I didn't think of it.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Do like others say, but instead of channel locks or standard pliers -

https://www.amazon.com/Standard-GRIP-N-PULL-Bullet-Puller-Calibers/dp/B01BU8VT7I

That one is for rifle calibers, they also make on for pistol calibers.

sure if he had jacketed bullets and was going to reload them. I have used this to pull 600 bullets with a heavy crimp for a good price that were known to have overly hard primers. Worked well and I reloaded the components and bullets were fine.

For plain lead the OP mentions, this deformed them and just easier to use pliers/channel locks cause you don't have to squeeze as hard on the crimped ones.

If anyone does get one of these for bulk pulling, wrap some grip tape or plastic dip on the handles so the metal does not dig into your hand over time.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Use the kinetic puller with a piece of foam in the end to soften the blow of the bullets when it flys out.

Oh. I’d never thought of that. Would have saved me some deformed tokarev soft points. I’ll need to do that from now on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scooby225

Latest threads

Top Bottom