• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    So I was reading through this old thread and decided to join MD shooters just to ask this question.... When I get back from this deployment I was planning on trying to get a CCW, but now that I read this I have dont know if it's even worth trying.

My reasons would be I am an intelligence analyst that just got back from the largest detention facility in Iraq. Plenty of terrorist here know my face and last name because we we're not allowed to take our names off/ put fake ones on, oh and a lot of these guys know the work I did will keep them here for a very long time. It also doest hurt that just about all the terrorist groups have put a $10k american bounty on our heads for being intelligence.

Any feedback... is it even worth a try, if I move to a different state I'd rather not have a "yes" for the "have you ever been denied a CCW before?"

Thanks.
    An O3 tried a similar approach a few years ago (knowledge of TS projects, etc). The courts agreed that his permit was rightly denied by the MSP, since if it were a valid concern that his knowledge would be sought by hostile forces the feds or his command would authorize him to carry.

ChrisR/T

Resident Beer Snob
    Oct 30, 2008
    Las Vegas, from Hazard County
    An O3 tried a similar approach a few years ago (knowledge of TS projects, etc). The courts agreed that his permit was rightly denied by the MSP, since if it were a valid concern that his knowledge would be sought by hostile forces the feds or his command would authorize him to carry.

That doesn't make a lick of sense.

If the Federal Laws over-ride the state, than how can the state restrict whether we carry or not? His command (being Feds) would be over-ruling state law, correct?

davecmoc

Nov 4, 2008
    Heller

Has any the Heller vs. DC decision had any impact on MD? I am from CT (liberal, but at least I can get a permit) but have a friend in MD with the desire to purchase a gun.

I would hate like hell to be stuck in your position! I read this thread and it is truly depressing.

Bondsman35

Aug 18, 2008
    Catonsville MD
    House to bank...bank to house?

Howdy folks,

Carefeul when just trying to play the system for a permit. First risk comes when it fails. Then from that time forward you'll always have to answer the question "have you ever been denied or had a permit revoked" question. That doesnt look good on the next application! My perimt is very light in restrictions. Basically it reads "from home, and while acting as a bailbondsman in maryland." 99% of the time that I walk out the door from home I'm acting as a bailbondsman or operating the business, easily verified on the scene. But the permit wouldnt fly if lets say" I was riding the carousel in OC and my tauurus 9 flew out of its holster while riding that bucking bronco and fell to the deck" I'd be bailing my self out after that. A legitimate business, established by the book, with the appropriate licenses and registered with the state taxation and assessments, combined with the proper legitimate receipts of sale or bonfided bank deposit receipts should get you one, But I caution you, that permit may read "from home to the bank, and from the bank to the house" If that meets your needs, go for it. Seems somewhat defeating and puts you right back into the original position "do i "break the law" - as unjust as it is, to carry a weapon" ???

Just my 10% worth

boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    ok- here we go.
    I have a legimate buisness. I make deposits to a buisness account. None are $$, all are checks but the deposits exceed 10K for each deposit made. The deposits are generally made once a month. I honestly don't think they will issue me a permit because I don't make $$ deposits.
    I agree you have one chance to make a good case before I get the denied status which seals the deal for further trys.

I can make $ deposits in the form of personal cash investment into my buisness?

Matt

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    ok- here we go.
    I have a legimate buisness. I make deposits to a buisness account. None are $$, all are checks but the deposits exceed 10K for each deposit made. The deposits are generally made once a month. I honestly don't think they will issue me a permit because I don't make $$ deposits.
    I agree you have one chance to make a good case before I get the denied status which seals the deal for further trys.

I can make $ deposits in the form of personal cash investment into my buisness?

Matt

I don't think that's gonna get it done Matt, simply because they are checks.

Kenny

The Bomb Digity
    Nov 2, 2008
    Lusby
    I'm not concerned with it too much though. Only time it bothered me was when I got the threat and someone that lived across the street from us with the same name was found shot.

boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    I don't think that's gonna get it done Matt, simply because they are checks.

Hey Terry:
    I tend to agreee and that ia the only reason have not started the process here in MD. I might need to wait until I can develope a better approach or they change the standards(less likely).

Matt

m4strmind

Nov 14, 2006
    Threats must be documented by the police and considered credible enough by the MSP, which is real hard to get done.

I have often wondered...

Say someone would to apply for a md permit for reasons of self defense, using news papers siting multiple random assaults on people in the local area. They would get denied of course.

However if they were to get assaulted after the fact, could they sue the state of md for denying them the right of protection?

if nothing else i bet it could get some attention on the subject if a few news sources would pick up the story.

ChrisR/T

Resident Beer Snob
    Oct 30, 2008
    Las Vegas, from Hazard County
    I have often wondered...

Say someone would to apply for a md permit for reasons of self defense, using news papers siting multiple random assaults on people in the local area. They would get denied of course.

However if they were to get assaulted after the fact, could they sue the state of md for denying them the right of protection?

if nothing else i bet it could get some attention on the subject if a few news sources would pick up the story.

I've been wondering that myself. If someone applied for a permit, was denied, and then was attacked, especially a woman, things could get pretty hairy for the State of MD.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I have often wondered...

Nothing would "happen" as far as legal ramifications to the government. The courts have ruled that the government can not be held liable for failure to protect you.

Now...the political fallout would be interesting,.

m4strmind

Nov 14, 2006
    Nothing would "happen" as far as legal ramifications to the government. The courts have ruled that the government can not be held liable for failure to protect you.

Now...the political fallout would be interesting,.

i wouldn't think you would have a leg to stand on trying to sue them for damages.

more on the lines of taking them to court over denying 2nd amendment rights, with some direct evidence

LORDS SERVANT

Proverbs 3: 5&6
    Mar 13, 2009
    Port Deposit
    Part 3 of 3

The worst part is, I used to run with one of the local outlaw biker clubs here in Md about 8 years back (before I got saved) and the treasurer of the club was able to get a legal permit to carry because he would make the deposits Go figure! What a State. We got the biggest laughs out of that because the money came from drugs prostitution etc. and yet this obviously intelligent person went and did it all legal and gets shut down. unbelievable

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom