• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ea689c

Mar 26, 2012
    Sterling, VA
    Last Sunday I was at the Chantilly Gun Show and saw a bin full of Mosin barrels, bolt carriers and bolts. Most were in really rough shape but there was at least one Remington and a Westinghouse. They were all priced at $15. Being that sporterizing is a C&R sin, how does everyone feel about restoring (as best anyone could) these parts and assembling a complete Mosin together. I have seen complete stocks on eBay for $20, so is there really any harm in tapping that broken rear sight off, putting the 22 scope mount on and taking it from there? I think I could put one of these together for less than $85 given the amount of parts available and maybe even one with a bent bolt...

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    I'd say if you were putting the rifle together just from scrap parts like you mentioned I don't think its a big deal, if its in rough shape already and not matching then most if not all collector value is pretty much gone. I've actually thought about doing the same thing and making a nice sporter.

I would just make sure the parts you're using arn't rare or anything beforehand so nothing is ruined

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Coming from a, "purists" view....It's your money-do what makes ya happy ;)

As posted above, please educate yourself enough to not ruin anything collectible.

Have fun and post pics when you're done!

Sirex